Loud squealing noise coming from engine

Quick#18

I have a 2003 TJ. I currenly have a load squealing noise coming from the engine. I've changed the belt, the idler pulley, the tension pully and still have the same noise. I've checked all the pullies even the alignment seems fine. I've sprayed water onto the pullies while the Jeep was running and the squealing stopped for a second and came back. At this point I am convinced it may be a tension problem with the belt. Is there a way to adjust the belt on a 2003 TJ with a tensioner pulley or could this issue be caused by something else?

Welcome to my hell, been doing the same for a few months. As soon as the weather got cold, here came the squeak. x2 on the automobile stethoscope, gives you a bit more reach and your hand and head away from the fan. Harbor Freight has one for $4 before coupons.

Also if you havent, remove the belt and spin all the pulleys. See if you hear anything bad there.

Highly recommend Continentals serpentine belt. They bought out Goodyears Gatorback design. My Dayco belt was new and it was garbage.

Just swapped my water pump last night. Hoping that was my culprit after listening to a few loud startups.

Reactions: SPECWAR
I think the only way to effect the tension is the auto tensioner. What kind of belt do you have? I will say there was a massive difference in tension between the cheaper Dayco and the Continental belt.

Checking in to see if this was ever solved? having a similar problem with 2000 automatic 4.0L I6 TJ. Just replaced the serpentine belt and idler pulley not this past weekend but last weekend and thought for sure it was gone. Didn't hear it once on a 2 hour drive to and from on a camping trip this weekend, sure enough, started up right i was pulling into work, talk about a letdown.

I've gotten out while the noise is going and know its coming from the serpentine belt area clear as day. I get the screech when i'm idling after driving 10-15 minutes (most times after moving from a higher speed to a 25mph area), it goes away upon accelerating then starts screeching again when i let off the peddle. it disappears for good/a long time upon making a 90 degree turn. If anyone has an insight, thanks in advance.

Checking in to see if this was ever solved? having a similar problem with 2000 automatic 4.0L I6 TJ. Just replaced the serpentine belt and idler pulley not this past weekend but last weekend and thought for sure it was gone. Didn't hear it once on a 2 hour drive to and from on a camping trip this weekend, sure enough, started up right i was pulling into work, talk about a letdown.

I've gotten out while the noise is going and know its coming from the serpentine belt area clear as day. I get the screech when i'm idling after driving 10-15 minutes (most times after moving from a higher speed to a 25mph area), it goes away upon accelerating then starts screeching again when i let off the peddle. it disappears for good/a long time upon making a 90 degree turn. If anyone has an insight, thanks in advance.

Did you replace both idler pulleys? The fixed one as well as the spring loaded one?

I just replaced the clutch and radiator also raised the motor an inch and when I started it up this same sound started. Did anyone found out what it was or just replace everything up front. My water pump is new but the radiator leaked about a month later. How can you tell if it's the water pump?

I just replaced the clutch and radiator also raised the motor an inch and when I started it up this same sound started. Did anyone found out what it was or just replace everything up front. My water pump is new but the radiator leaked about a month later. How can you tell if it's the water pump?
If you are leaking coolant onto the belt, you will usually get a squeak on start up.

My experience with the squeal usually happens in colder weather, below 45 degrees.

It has happened on my 2000 and 05 tj and both my 4.0 wj's.

It was always the alternator.