Low profile rock sliders

mousehunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am somewhat new to the jeep world, so I might using terms loosely. I have read tons of threads about sliders - an inevatably the OP in most is concerned about having a step. I don't want a step, I want something low profile, out of the way, that actually provides protection for the jeep. Given that premise - no step, no nerf bar, etc... What is the best option.

I have read that Savvey is sold without the tube - but have also read that the tube is intrgal to the strength of the guard. Maybe I am misreading. Warn makes a low profile product, but people have questioned it's ability to protect the jeep.

FWIW, sadly I don't have a jeep that's "mine" yet - just watching the market to try to find the "right" LJ. All total, my family has had 5 jeeps over the years. Right now the families jeep is my wife's. She is very possessive of her mall crawler so does not need any protection (and probably why she does not want me driving it, I might hurt it...). That said, her jeep runs 35" tires and does not have a step, so I am fairly certain I don't need one. Given that I am looking at LJ's, it is kind of given I don't mind paying a little extra to get exactly what I think I need. (I don't need one, I think I need one...)

Any slider you like the looks of and that doesn't use the frame side mounts will probably be fine for the use you describe. You want the slider on the body and the body mounts left intact and not screwed with. I think the Warn fits that description. UCF makes a low profile slider that matches the size of the factory Rubicon slider, lower overall but much thicker steel than the diamond plate, it's also a good option. That little steel rub rail on the Savvy sliders doesn't even stick out past the stock flares, I wouldn't worry about that if you like them otherwise. I wouldn't run them without the steel rail but that's just me.

Genright mini boatside. Then chop off the step.

Screenshot_20210819-214911_Chrome.jpg

Add the GR raised body mounts to complete the package.

Don't go all Patagonia on us.

If someone asked Milestar to make the shitty Patagonia a good tire, they wouldn't do it either. At least the miniboats can be fixed and made to be really good sliders.

Last edited:
If someone asked Milestar to make the shitty Patagonia a good tire, they wouldn't do it either. At least the miniboats can be fixed and made to be really good sliders.
I didn't know you were serious, I also run Nankang tires. Interesting about the boat sides.

Last edited:
You were being helpful, I thought you were joking, the mistake was mine. Cutting off those steps and mounting boat sides in general is allot of work but they obviously have their upside.
The mounting piece isn't too bad, you bend back that pinch seam with a hammer and then like any other good slider you preload and clamp as best you can. The rest is a good bit of work, though, as we will better space the nutserts and add a second row for the new aluminum bit.

Reactions: jjvw and pagrey
The mounting piece isn't too bad, you bend back that pinch seam with a hammer and then like any other good slider you preload and clamp as best you can. The rest is a good bit of work, though, as we will better space the nutserts and add a second row for the new aluminum bit.
Is that the gen right mini boat side?