Lower Control Arm Bushing Size Identification

Daniel.Lee

Hello all,

I purchased a 1998 TJ Wrangler Sahara edition two months ago and I'm noticing above average clunking and vibration while driving. Additionally, when I shake the parked vehicle I can hear alot of movement from the undercarriage.

In order to address the issue, I'd like to start by replacing the worn lower control arm bushings but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what size bushing and heim joint to purchase. It doesn't help that I don't know the brand of the lower control arms as there are no part numbers stamped/etched into them.

I've taken some photos and I'm hoping that one of you guys can enlighten me on the matter.

Also, if it means anything, the previous owner told me he installed a 3.5" Rock Krawler long arm kit but when I perused the "Rock Krawler long arm kit for TJ's" page, I found no control arms that looked remotely close to what is presently installed.

Best,

Dan

Ok, back to long arm... Could he have meant rough country? The belly pan center brackets can help with identification.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Synergy for the rubber ends, johnny joints for the other... they are supposed to be a direct swap. Or you can do the Clayton Girro Joints instead of the johnny joints.

Synergy for the rubber ends, johnny joints for the other... they are supposed to be a direct swap. Or you can do the Clayton Girro Joints instead of the johnny joints.

Do you mind sharing a link? I found the following:
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-dual-durometer-bushing-ddb-series.html?category_id=4970
However, the measurements vary in length, outer diameter, and inner diameter.

As far as the Johnny Joints go, I'm running into the same issue as there seems to be a large range of sizes:
https://www.currieenterprises.com/complete-johnny-joints
Thanks,

Dan

you will have to measure the threads on your control arms, if they are 1", then you need to see what joint is a 10mm front hole size with a 1" shaft. that will fit the front upper control arm. the lowers are the 2-5/8" wide, 9/16 hole diameter...

PPM-4320-01LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING8033, 8036, 8046, 8047, 8051, 8052, 8153, 8154, 8231, 8551-01, 8563-01, 85852.618"9/16" / 14MM4408-012.000"2.625"0.188"2.249"

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/products/brand/redranger will have rod ends, just need to match up the thread size from your existing control arms and then measure the width of the bushing, my control arms use the 1-1/4x12 thread witch only comes with the 9/16"x 2-5/8" wide end, for me it is a custom upper mount ...if I was there, I would just use a dial caliper and you would be measured up in about 10 minutes of crawling around under your jeep.

Aren't the Giiro joints the same thing as the Synergy? As I understand it they are both dual dorumeter bushings. So I would use whicher one you can find that fits. Or stick with a JJ if you find it.