LS swap: which gauges should I use?

Rebuild

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just closing in on the final stages of my 98 TJ, LS 5.3 swap. Looking to incorporate new gauges as the stock TJ's won't cut it. Looking at Autometer. Anyone know which ones to pick up. Unsure of the ohms and the direct fitment for the 98 Jeep. Added a photo of what I am looking at. Any one have any ideas what model or how to purchase these?
Any assist would be great!
Thanks

JEEP GAUGES.jpg

Reactions: inkedrose
Any one have any ideas what model or how to purchase these?
Autometer is the brand, Ultralite II is the model.

If they are still being made by Autometer and not discontinued, Jegs, Summit Racing, or Autometer’s website would be a great place to start.

A quick call to Advanced Adapters or Novak should get you the concrete answers on your gauge specs.

Autometer is the brand, Ultralite II is the model.

If they are still being made by Autometer and not discontinued, Jegs, Summit Racing, or Autometer’s website would be a great place to start.

A quick call to Advanced Adapters or Novak should get you the concrete answers on your gauge specs.
Thanks,
You wouldnt happen to know the sizes

Here are some Marshall gauges that a buddy used in his TJ. They don't cost as much as Auto Meter and are American made. http://www.marshallinstruments.com/catalog/performance.cfm

1583299632667.png

He made the dash himself but Auto Meter has one more or less just like the picture you posted.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/95205_0130.htm
Here is another option and since you have the LS engine wiring it in shouldn't be a issue.

Intellitronix Corp. 1997-2006 Jeep TJ LED Digital Dash Replacement Panel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FX8K7H/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here are some Marshall gauges that a buddy used in his TJ. They don't cost as much as Auto Meter and are American made. http://www.marshallinstruments.com/catalog/performance.cfm

View attachment 143938

He made the dash himself but Auto Meter has one more or less just like the picture you posted.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/95205_0130.htm
Here is another option and since you have the LS engine wiring it in shouldn't be a issue.

Intellitronix Corp. 1997-2006 Jeep TJ LED Digital Dash Replacement Panel
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FX8K7H/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Great and thanks! I appreciate the Marshall gauges and will take a look may save me a few bucks but like you 25-30 ish cheers

Reactions: Wildman
Why do you say stock won't cut it? I'm in the middle of my swap but planning to keep stock gauges since I like the stock look. What turned you off to that idea?

Why do you say stock won't cut it? I'm in the middle of my swap but planning to keep stock gauges since I like the stock look. What turned you off to that idea?
Stock will work if you are keeping the Jeep and other ecm, you will still be requir to purchase a few thing to compensate which isn’t a huge issue. Fuel for example, strongly suggest a larger fuel line as the gm motor will need 58 psi to run it. My case I had the 2.5l 4 cylinder needs only 42 psi. So, larger lines, pump and of course connectors. mods to the electronics for the fuel pump is also required. If you have the 4.0l your build will be a lot easier and cheaper as most of that will work. I am going all GM, this will be easier if there ever is a wiring issue, hence the gauges.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Stock will work if you are keeping the Jeep and other ecm, you will still be requir to purchase a few thing to compensate which isn’t a huge issue. Fuel for example, strongly suggest a larger fuel line as the gm motor will need 58 psi to run it. My case I had the 2.5l 4 cylinder needs only 42 psi. So, larger lines, pump and of course connectors. mods to the electronics for the fuel pump is also required. If you have the 4.0l your build will be a lot easier and cheaper as most of that will work. I am going all GM, this will be easier if there ever is a wiring issue, hence the gauges.
Makes sense. So you're putting a GM fuel pump in your tank?

Yes I am all GM, makes it simple. No I actually used the TJ in tank set up I just swapped out the pump with a wasco 58 psi. You can use a gm pump as well either or works. The gm assembly will not fit in a TJ tank, too long. You could attempt to modify but that is a trial and error. There maybe other assembly’s that will work but I chose this option changing out the pump with the original TJ assembly works. If you had a 2.5l, I would upgrade your fuel lines to 6n, I used all Russell fittings with Bradded lines. And gauges, pricy but auto meter is a good option.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Yes I am all GM, makes it simple. No I actually used the TJ in tank set up I just swapped out the pump with a wasco 58 psi. You can use a gm pump as well either or works. The gm assembly will not fit in a TJ tank, too long. You could attempt to modify but that is a trial and error. There maybe other assembly’s that will work but I chose this option changing out the pump with the original TJ assembly works. If you had a 2.5l, I would upgrade your fuel lines to 6n, I used all Russell fittings with Bradded lines. And gauges, pricy but auto meter is a good option.
I am not sure your fuel gauge will work if it's GM and the sender is jeep, they operate differently. There is a guy on youtube, Joester1908 who dealt with this issue. Maybe you have a different solution.

I currently use an 8 inch tablet. Gets Dusty easy and bad glare.

I've been meaning to get a set of Speedhut gauges. I'll probably end up with a Holley dash or something like that.

Just closing in on the final stages of my 98 TJ, LS 5.3 swap. Looking to incorporate new gauges as the stock TJ's won't cut it. Looking at Autometer. Anyone know which ones to pick up. Uns of the ohms and the direct fitment for the 98 Jeep. Added a photo of what I am looking at. Any one have any ideas what model or how to purchase these?
Thanks

View attachment 143900
Just closing in on the final stages of my 98 TJ, LS 5.3 swap. Looking to incorporate new gauges as the stock TJ's won't cut it. Looking at Autometer. Anyone know which ones to pick up. Unsure of the ohms and the direct fitment for the 98 Jeep. Added a photo of what I am looking at. Any one have any ideas what model or how to purchase these?
Thanks

View attachment 143900
What’s the brand on the housing I like the shift indicator at the bottom

When you put the auto meter direct dash fit then buy all the 6 gauges can I still have the glass protector in front from my oem dash ? Thanks

From all the pictures I have seen no. If you want to keep the "glass" from your stock dash you'd need to use something the Intellitronix or the Dakota Digital

This is a good thread on the subject of How To LS Swap Your TJ Hope this helps you out some. One other thing to note is that I've read some posts from people who bought the Auto Meter dash that they had trouble reading some of the gauges.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck