Lunchbox vs LSD in Dana 30

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
I just bought a tj dana 30 complete axle with 4:56s open diff to go with my 33s, and while its out im gonna clean it up and such, I have been thinking about a detroit truetrac or powertrax no-slip, should I consider any others? The only reason I am steering more in the LSD direction is because I heard i'll lose turning radius on the trail in 4H/4L with the no-slip. Thoughts?

the increase of turn radius comes from a locked rear not front
oh, really? I was under the impression that in the front you lose the turn radius when in 4wd. I was asking between the truetrac and the no-slip because the NS apparently is the best behaved on the street in 2H aswell.

The dramatic and serious benefits of a locker in the front far outweigh any minor effect it has on the steering. A locked rear locker has a bigger effect on the steering radius.

Not to mention the benefits of LSDs are primarily on the street or mostly flat terrain.

Also, most front lunchbox lockers are very well behaved on the street when you're in 2wd. The No-Slip's benefit over other lunchbox lockers is it doesn't click/ratchet while you're making turns on the street. You can't really tell it's there when you're in 2wd. The others behave well too, they just click while you're making turns in 2wd.

Reactions: D M
Last edited:
Along with the utube video by John Currie, mrblaine has covered this on the forum. I'll see if i can find the discussion.
Thanks, appreciate it. Speaking of which, does anyone know the price to have one installed? I already have it regeared, so I would just need it thrown in

I'm still trying to figure out when to engage my ARB Air Lockers.

The first trip out I was locking front and rear before any moderate obstacles. I ran into occasions where the front wheels felt like they didn't want to turn (turning the wheel, but the Jeep just pushes straight).
The second Trip I only used the rear lockers. I didn't "need" the front anywhere and the turning seemed easier.
It is weird to think the rear locker off makes so much difference on turning radius

If done at the same time a regearing is being done some shops won't charge to also install a lunchbox locker. Mine didn't.

If done at the same time a regearing is being done some shops won't charge to also install a lunchbox locker. Mine didn't.
The thing is I currently have 3:73s, Dana 30/Dana 44, I picked up a spare 30 with 4:56s, so ill throw the powertrax in the front and regear the rear.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Speaking of which, does anyone know the price to have one installed? I already have it regeared, so I would just need it thrown in

From the videos I've seen it doesn't look too difficult for a DIY installation but if you had to have it installed it shouldn't cost more than a couple of hours of labor since there is no gear set up involved.

The tires on a locked diff direct the vehicle in the direction of the tires. It's as simple as that.

I spend much of my time off road with a locked front at the very least.

I'm still trying to figure out when to engage my ARB Air Lockers.

The first trip out I was locking front and rear before any moderate obstacles. I ran into occasions where the front wheels felt like they didn't want to turn (turning the wheel, but the Jeep just pushes straight).
The second Trip I only used the rear lockers. I didn't "need" the front anywhere and the turning seemed easier.
It is weird to think the rear locker off makes so much difference on turning radius

You are confusing the feeling from the steering input with what actually happens on the ground. With only the rear locked, the front may feel easier to turn, the the Jeep will want to push straight.

Lock the front only and the turned wheels will pull the Jeep in that direction. The open rear will follow along.

Add hydro assist to the steering and you won't notice any resistance in the steering wheel from a locked front.