Making my TJ a better daily driver

Babygools99

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone, running into some issues that make my TJ less than desirable for daily driving and need some advice on how to turn it into a “more comfortable” rail driver.
First i’ll Give you the rundown.

-1999 TJ 4.0/ 5 speed AX-15.
-Dana 30 Front/ Ford 8.8 rear/ both geared 3.73
-229,000 miles (rebuild on engine at 150,000)
-3” short arm lift, DPA, 33x12.50x15 BFG KM2’s

Some issues I've been running into is:
  • Loss of power in 5th gear, done some research and have come to the conclusion that re-gearing is the best option, but could only find some older threads about ratios. Was wondering everyone’s updated take on the best ratio for my setup.
  • Steering, which is mostly been taken care of, but I would like to do a complete replacement of the steering linkage, needed opinions of some over the knuckle systems and what people have come to find works best for them. I have the crown automotive replacement with some beefed up ends, but I’ve quickly come to realize the quality just isn’t what I was hoping for. (Also have DPA and steering stabilizer already)
  • Seat upgrades, best brand and comfort level for someone like me who is only 5 foot 6.
  • And I’m also looking to mount an iPad for permanent use in my TJ, was wondering if any had done it before.

As for gearing, see this thread:
What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

Based on that thread, I would suggest 4.88 gears for your setup, which will make a huge difference over 3.73.

For steering, see this thread:
What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

I would recommend either the Currie Currectlync or the ZJ tie rod. The Currie unit is the cream of the crop in terms of best steering out there for stock width axles. It costs a lot, but you'll see why once you install it :)

For seat upgrades, some very favorable aftermarket seats seem to be PRP, which @Jerry Bransford has and speaks very highly of, as well as many others.

Don't bother with an iPad in your TJ. Convert to a double DIN unit and use a head unit with Apple CarPlay.

Also, not sure if this applies to your situation, but if you're looking to make your TJ as nice as possible for daily driving, I suggest check out out this thread as well: How can I fix a harsh ride on my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Reactions: Babygools99
  • Seat upgrades, best brand and comfort level for someone like me who is only 5 foot 6.

I've swapped used Hyundai Tiburon seats into 3 Jeeps, all daily drivers, and have been very happy with the results. It's a pretty easy job and you should be able to this for less than $100. I'm 5'8" if it helps. My 5'3" wife drove one of them for a year or so with no complaints … not about the seats any way.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-hyundai-tiburon-seats-in-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2997/

Reactions: PointerTJ
Gearing will make all the difference in the world, it will feel like a new jeep. Currie on the steering. Shocks and tire pressure will make a big difference too, not sure how yours rides. Making sure your alignment is spot on will have a big impact on how you perceive it as a daily driver.

Gearing will make all the difference in the world, it will feel like a new jeep. Currie on the steering. Shocks and tire pressure will make a big difference too, not sure how yours rides. Making sure your alignment is spot on will have a big impact on how you perceive it as a daily driver.
Good post .

If by DPA you mean drop pitman arm and you didn’t drop the track bar mount equally, that would present a big bump steer problem.

If re-gearing is not an option, go with a smaller all terrain tire, maybe a 32". That would make road manners and noise better and help with power. 32's on a 3" lift is proportionally perfect IMO. ZJ tie rod setup for steering, and some Rancho RS5000X shocks to smooth out the bumps. Be sure your shock travel is a good 50/50 bias and bumpstopped properly. 03+ Wrangler seats are quite comfy IMO.

I have the same 3:73 and almost never use 5th gear with my 33" tires. And get better gas mileage keeping it in 4th... You will enjoy it more too.

Reactions: Dougj169