Manual to auto swap - fires but won’t run

Kieffer4

Hello everyone. Long time lurker but never had a answer I could t find by searching. I’m a stumped now though.

Short story, rolled Jeep. While rebuilding decided to swap over to auto to help crawl 40’s. I replaced bushing in crank, flex plate, 42rle trans, computer from auto same year. Auto starter. Wiring harness from auto same year. Pedal swap, interior shifter, etc.

Went to start and everything looks good when key on. Turns over fine. Firing on a cylinder or two but timing seems off as if its firing wrong order. Motor seems to kick back as if firing wrong cylinder wrong time.

Getting codes P0340 and P1495. I swapped the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors with others I have in the garage. Zero change.

Im wondering, I installed a flex plate for a 04. Same as computer, etc. had about 12 holes. I do have the later flex plate with 32 or so holes. Didn’t think they were used until 2005 though. Can’t figure out what else to check. It firing and wants to run but seems all off.

Thanks for anyone that may be able to shed some light.

Picture of rebuild in progress..

C400DECE-1148-4A46-80B4-198DEE757691.jpeg

How positive are you that the PCM you have is for an automatic?

Hello everyone. Long time lurker but never had a answer I could t find by searching. I’m a stumped now though.

Short story, rolled Jeep. While rebuilding decided to swap over to auto to help crawl 40’s. I replaced bushing in crank, flex plate, 42rle trans, computer from auto same year. Auto starter. Wiring harness from auto same year. Pedal swap, interior shifter, etc.

Went to start and everything looks good when key on. Turns over fine. Firing on a cylinder or two but timing seems off as if its firing wrong order. Motor seems to kick back as if firing wrong cylinder wrong time.

Getting codes P0340 and P1495. I swapped the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors with others I have in the garage. Zero change.

Im wondering, I installed a flex plate for a 04. Same as computer, etc. had about 12 holes. I do have the later flex plate with 32 or so holes. Didn’t think they were used until 2005 though. Can’t figure out what else to check. It firing and wants to run but seems all off.

Did it start and run fine after the roll over?
Saw no mention of the 03-04 TCM.
What year is rig?

The 03-04 flex plate needs to be used with the 03-04 PCM in the 03-04. They changed the firing rotation in 05-06 from the earlier 120 degree to 180. The CPS is the same on the auto and on the same side from 03-06.

Yes, ran fine after rollover. Drove fine. I did buy a remanufactured tcm for a 2004 and installed. Rig is 2004. Computer, harness, tcm, ecm, etc all purchased from 2004.

Everything on harness plugged right up except two O2 sensors had wrong plug so purchased different. Otherwise been plug and play.

And fwiw thanks mrblaine. Referred to your posts many times over the years.

Fl
The 03-04 flex plate needs to be used with the 03-04 PCM in the 03-04. They changed the firing rotation in 05-06 from the earlier 120 degree to 180. The CPS is the same on the auto and on the same side from 03-06.
Flex plate came with low mile 42rle from 2004 so feel like it’s correct. Just not sure what else would have firing timing off. Although timing could be fine but that’s what it sounds like.

Yes, ran fine after rollover. Drove fine. I did buy a remanufactured tcm for a 2004 and installed. Rig is 2004. Computer, harness, tcm, ecm, etc all purchased from 2004.

Everything on harness plugged right up except two O2 sensors had wrong plug so purchased different. Otherwise been plug and play.

And fwiw thanks mrblaine. Referred to your posts many times over the years.
Let me check today to see if the 03-04 will exhibit any starting issues when the TCM is unplugged. I recall that unplugging the connector from the side of the trans just messes up the shifting, not start and run.

The CPS will cause issues in the 03-04. It will start and run with a bad CPS in the 05-06 after a long crank.

I could shoot a video but not sure how to post it up.
Should be an “attach files“ button right below the text box, sometimes its not there on mobile but it normally is there after resetting the app. If that doesnt work you can always upload it on YouTube real quick and send the link

I did
Let me check today to see if the 03-04 will exhibit any starting issues when the TCM is unplugged. I recall that unplugging the connector from the side of the trans just messes up the shifting, not start and run.

The CPS will cause issues in the 03-04. It will start and run with a bad CPS in the 05-06 after a long crank.
replace the sensor on top of the cps but not the whole synchronizer unit. It has not been touched since last time running.

sorry if my terminology is wrong.

Fl

Flex plate came with low mile 42rle from 2004 so feel like it’s correct. Just not sure what else would have firing timing off. Although timing could be fine but that’s what it sounds like.
The flex plates are very obviously different so it isn't likely they got confused. As you stated, the 03-04 has 3 groups of notches, the 05-06 does not.

didn’t know it would attach video. Thanks.

Didn’t fire as much on this crank but you can here at the end the motor sounds like it kicks back against the starter. It does periodically fire so assuming fuel and spark are present.

thanks for all the replies

Attachments

• IMG_6290.MOV
    12.8 MB
I did

replace the sensor on top of the cps but not the whole synchronizer unit. It has not been touched since last time running.

sorry if my terminology is wrong.
I don't know if the sensor will cause a no start issue if it is bad. Is the original around and if so, why did you change it?

That is the camshaft synchronizer. Earlier versions use a distributor, later versions use an Oil Pump Drive Assembly or OPDA.

I don't know if the sensor will cause a no start issue if it is bad. Is the original around and if so, why did you change it?

That is the camshaft synchronizer. Earlier versions use a distributor, later versions use an Oil Pump Drive Assembly or OPDA.
With the P0340 code I figured sensor could be bad. And indeed it was nasty. Here is the two swapped.

yes, opda. Just get terms wrong... 🙄

AF2BBBC6-0E8E-4BF8-BDF6-D6569CCE9BF6.jpeg