Manual transmission problems can some one help

Dogue

My daughter just took her jeep 2004 with 70,000 miles an hour and a half to a friends camp in when she was about to get off the highway she was in fifth and the jeep started to chug she put it in fourth it worked fine but then it wouldn't shift and any other gear not even reverse not sure if I should go up there with a trailer and trailer home or if it cools down will it work or just drive it home in fourth gear I did recently put a 2 1/2 inch suspension lift a 1 inch body lift and put set a 33 inch tires can somebody give me some advice please thank you

Last edited:
No it's never done it she don't drive on the highway much I try to drive it on the highway but is the first time it's been on a long trip and I while

My daughter just took her jeep 2004 with 70,000 miles an hour and a half to a friends camp in when she was about to get off the highway and she was in fifth it started to Clutch and she put it in fourth it worked fine but then it wouldn't shift and any other gear not even reverse not sure if I should go up there with a trailer and trailer home or if it cools down will it work or just drive it home in fourth gear I did recently put a 2 1/2 inch suspension lift a 1 inch body lift and put set a 33 inch tires can somebody give me some advice please thank you

I'm still a little confused as to what's going on due to the possible misspelling and grammar issues in the original post.

But from what I gather, it's bogging down or "chugging" when you put in a higher gear? If that's the case, it may just be a matter of bad driving and having it at too low or RPMs, which causes the engine to stall.

Sorry for the spelling issues talking into an iPad kind of fast I just talk to my daughter again she is now telling me she can put it in every gear but it just revs up like it's in neutral except for fourth gear fourth gear is the only gear that'll work so she can move the jeep

Yeah that's what I was thinking probably tran I no a lot of people on here know these jeeps a lot better than me I appreciate the input

Google searched 04 wrangler 4th gear, found multiple threads about it. Trans was toast in them, 4th gear was working because it's 1:1 direct drive, locks input and out put together. Some ppl drove home, others towed. I'd tow it back, sounds like a replacement transmission is needed.

I agree with this. From what I am reading, this sounds like a known issue. It might be time for a new transmission.

I have a buddy that's pretty good with transmissions in rear ends so I'll probably take it out myself and then handed off to him thanks for all your input

Reactions: Chris
I cant answer the question about the 33's negatively effecting the transmission. But I can tell you that if you've got a 6 cylinder w an NV3550 manual, there's no need for anything 'extra' if you convert to a new AX-15. Ive been told some stock shifters may need to be altered to fit the shift pattern area of the trans tunnel. If that's even what that space is called? [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help got the tran out today I have a guy pulling it apart tomorrow hopefully it can be rebuilt

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT