May be time to sell my Jeep

lafittejeep

TJ Enthusiast
I am still chasing some electrical problems with my jeep. Saw check engine light starting to blink engine started running rough pulled over and died. Jeep would not even crank dash lights would come but needles didnt move. Next morning saw a problem with the ignition coil (crack and melted plastic). No problem changed coil and plugs everything back together and same thing, no crank and needles didnt move. Plugged my OBII reader in and it wouldnt even connect to the PCM. I replaced my PCM in OCT 2018 and ran fine for over 40k. I still have the old PCM and installed the old one and nothing no crank and no needle movement.
I cant say its the PCM since with both my engine is doing the same. It has to be electrical but where? I am going to go over the main electrical harness this weekend to see if any wires are broken. Any hints out there?
I always wanted a Jeep and got the model and engine I wanted but everything thats given me hell has been electrical. I have replaced the radiator , water pump , thermostat, PCM, front pads, rear parking brake shoes, ignition coil and plugs. transmission rebuilt in 2021. Probably needs rear bears and u joints.
So any help will be appreciated.

Did you work with @Wranglerfix ? He is the most knowledgeable source when it comes to the '05 to '06 models.

I wouldn't suspect the PCM just yet...Sounds to me like you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. I would go through the schematics in the FSM and making sure you have voltage supplied everywhere it's supposed to be.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
If you think it's time to sell your Jeep, it's time to sell your Jeep. 🧐

@freedom_in_4low you need some of it too? we could go in on it... I got a hauler and the dually...

can't hurt to add another (half of an) LJ to the fleet! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, a couple years ago I got a great deal on a 2000 Silverado that intermittently would have these exact same symptoms. I thought they just listed it low because they didn't research local market pricing or just wanted it gone without a bunch of haggling. Turns out they wanted it gone without a lot of questions asked and weren't being honest about it's condition. Fortunately for me I had some troubleshooting skills and a little bit of luck and fixed it with a $13 battery cable.

can't hurt to add another (half of an) LJ to the fleet! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, a couple years ago I got a great deal on a 2000 Silverado that intermittently would have these exact same symptoms. I thought they just listed it low because they didn't research local market pricing or just wanted it gone without a bunch of haggling. Turns out they wanted it gone without a lot of questions asked and weren't being honest about it's condition. Fortunately for me I had some troubleshooting skills and a little bit of luck and fixed it with a $13 battery cable.
I mean... you already got the LJ frame and body... hood with insulator. you can have the drive train, I just want the body and frame...

those non starter deals are the best. If i wasn't at work ten hours a day I think i might get into that business as a side hustle. car flipping.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Does it crank if you jump the starter? Take a small piece of wire, and bridge the signal post with the positive and see if it cranks. If it does, try again with the key in the run position.

Make sure it is in park (neutral with parking brake if manual) so you don't run over yourself. The gear/clutch lockout won't stop a jumped starter.

I am still chasing some electrical problems with my jeep. Saw check engine light starting to blink engine started running rough pulled over and died. Jeep would not even crank dash lights would come but needles didnt move. Next morning saw a problem with the ignition coil (crack and melted plastic). No problem changed coil and plugs everything back together and same thing, no crank and needles didnt move. Plugged my OBII reader in and it wouldnt even connect to the PCM. I replaced my PCM in OCT 2018 and ran fine for over 40k. I still have the old PCM and installed the old one and nothing no crank and no needle movement.
I cant say its the PCM since with both my engine is doing the same. It has to be electrical but where? I am going to go over the main electrical harness this weekend to see if any wires are broken. Any hints out there?
I always wanted a Jeep and got the model and engine I wanted but everything thats given me hell has been electrical. I have replaced the radiator , water pump , thermostat, PCM, front pads, rear parking brake shoes, ignition coil and plugs. transmission rebuilt in 2021. Probably needs rear bears and u joints.
Had a similar issue right after I bought my 05 LJ a few months ago. Just died...no comm with the PCM at the OBDII port, no crank, needles didn't move. Just like you said. I found that fuse for my ASD (auto shutdown) was blown. In addition, I found a chafed wire on the wiring harness. Replaced the fuse, fixed the chafed wire..started right up. No problems since then..2k miles later.

sounds like a lost cause.
If it's a lost cause, it's only fair that it goes to me. 🤫
RUBI 35 7 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC) (2).jpg

Its time to break out the Volt Ohm (multi) meter; check ALL the fuses and see where there is and isn't voltage.
Check the battery cables and clamps, grounding connection on block and starter connection for oxidation and ensure they are tight.
When the ignition switch is turned to crank the engine; does the starter solenoid terminal from the ignition switch have 12V?
Does the fuel pump run for 3-5 seconds when the ignition switch is switched to RUN ?

There is usually a primary fusible link in the harness. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram so I don't know for sure, but since it seems like everything is dead, this is the first place I would look.
Otherwise, just start chasing power per the fsm wiring diagram.

I checked the main harness and took off all the protective cover and checked the wires and did not see anything broken. I did find the ASD fuse was bad so I will replace that and perhaps that will solve things but who knows. Does it make a difference what color the fuses are? ( manual shows 20a yellow and the one that went bad was pink). The ASD relay in my jeep was the correct amp but different color. Another thing is that I have a fuse in the ABS pump but I dont have a ABS relay or a fuse for the ABS motor so I am guessing those fuses were just stuck in the space. Also there was a 50amp fuse in the " accessories space" I just dont know what would that be used for. Heading to get a fuse , will fill you in later.

I checked the main harness and took off all the protective cover and checked the wires and did not see anything broken. I did find the ASD fuse was bad so I will replace that and perhaps that will solve things but who knows. Does it make a difference what color the fuses are? ( manual shows 20a yellow and the one that went bad was pink). The ASD relay in my jeep was the correct amp but different color. Another thing is that I have a fuse in the ABS pump but I dont have a ABS relay or a fuse for the ABS motor so I am guessing those fuses were just stuck in the space. Also there was a 50amp fuse in the " accessories space" I just dont know what would that be used for. Heading to get a fuse , will fill you in later.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice. It was the ASD fuse that caused it all. Plugged the fuse input everything back together jumped in crossed my fingers and when I turned the key my gauges moved and it cranked right up. So thanks again.
That coil shorting out must have blown the ASD fuse. Glad it’s all better.