Melted Hard Top Vent

NigelTheTJ

Hey folks,

I've had my TJ for almost a year and one of the vents on the hard top looks like it melted. It was like this when I got it, but after looking up a replacement vent and seeing how expensive they are, I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any suggestions for fixing this? If there's even a way to fix it at all.

Thanks!

481CBC0A-7D1B-4E3C-B8AC-2C681CB5882B.jpeg

The vent will pop out, IIRC there are 3 tabs on each side and one on top/bottom that need pushed in and the whole thing comes out. What looks melted in your picture is the rubber vent seal (no idea if that is the technical term) that is sandwiched between the two pieces. As far as I know, that rubber piece is not replaceable.

Reactions: NigelTheTJ
Damn. I was afraid of that. Would it even be worth it to try and cut the excess away and cut open the vent portions?
If it was me, I would probably leave it. The vents release pressure when a door is closed. Assuming the other vent is fine, you still have a way to vent the excess the cabin pressure. If the look is bothering you, I'd just replace the entire vent since the rubber flaps help keep the elements outside from coming inside the hardtop somewhat.

If it was me, I would probably leave it. The vents release pressure when a door is closed. Assuming the other vent is fine, you still have a way to vent the excess the cabin pressure. If the look is bothering you, I'd just replace the entire vent since the rubber flaps help keep out the elements inside the hardtop somewhat.
It's mostly a cosmetic annoyance more than anything. I don't think it's hurting anything, although, would the unvented air pressure cause my doors to close a little funny? What should I look for?

It's mostly a cosmetic annoyance more than anything. I don't think it's hurting anything, although, would the unvented air pressure cause my doors to close a little funny? What should I look for?
In the most extreme and rare cases, a blown out window. Otherwise maybe just a weird flutter in the door when you slam it shut. I dont think the pressure would be enough to notice if the other vent is fine. I suppose you could pull the plastic vent, separate the two halves, and replace the rubber vents with another thin rubber sheet with your own cut out vents. I suppose it depends on how much it bothers you and how much work you want to put into it.

Reactions: NigelTheTJ