Metal tab cutting into brake line

khakitj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
While installing my new H&R springs yesterday, I noticed this metal tab is damaging the foam cover on my brake line on the rear passenger side. On the driver side the tab is up further out of the way.

Anybody ever seen this? Why is it there? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? For now I just rotated to foam around so an undamaged piece is facing the tab.

1569950039107.jpeg

1569950131730.jpeg

Edit because I originally referred to the wrong end of the Jeep.

Last edited:
Just tap it over the other direction? Or bend it slightly? It's thin. It will still do what it needs to do, bent over out of the way. You can straighten it back out, should you ever need to.

Reactions: khakitj
They are assembled like that on some Jeeps, mine was. That's the emergency brake cable and not a brake line so not a huge deal. It might sound silly but they are different things and cutting one is very bad and the other isn't so bad. I'd rotate the flag by loosening the bolt. I personally wouldn't bend it, it'll give you a good excuse to check the torque on those bolts.

You could even cut the tab off of the flag nut. It serves little purpose when assembled; it is designed to make assembly easier. If you do cut it, cut it long enough so it doesn’t spin in the slot.

Thanks everyone! I’ve now learned all about flag nuts.

I had read in other posts that it can be difficult to tighten the upper bolt on the sway bar link because it just wants to spin. Some were suggesting having someone stand on the bumper, etc.

If I understand correctly, the purpose of this flag nut may be to help with this specific issue, right?