Mid-arm LJ Rubicon

sunnysideup_lj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Copied my new member post, it has most of the starting days of my build. Hope you enjoy.

New to the forum! I have used it for info quite a bit so I figured I’d join.
last year I picked up my LJR, a long awaited first Jeep (dream Jeep to add). It came up on local classifieds the jeep was in a light roll over. 98k miles for $9,000. Yellow wasn’t my first choice in color...but for the price I couldn’t let that turn me away. Nickname of “Sunny Side Up” quickly became part of the Jeep

A few little repairs, a trip to the body shop to make sure the frame was straight and the Jeep was road worthy.
c9f164dd-72a1-4bca-aa9d-0696c0c46ef3-jpeg.jpg

8ffa85d7-4bbc-4247-9ee1-ced447d56390-jpeg.jpg

A new top was the first purchase because the original hardtop didn’t survive the roll over.
a3e1eb08-96d9-4500-b42d-5f2060760ab5-jpeg.jpg

I decided to do the PSC defenders with 3” tapered flares. I opted out the stretched rear crushed corners and high line fenders because I’m wanting to do a more mild build. I prepped them for paint then headed to a buddies paint booth to shoot a color matched yellow and black flares.
f74bcec0-455b-4672-b621-bcbdd6f08c67-jpeg.jpg

Drilling into a clean tub was hard...but worth it! I’m happy with the results
600a6960-9fa3-4c45-a62a-b32338e4ddbe-jpeg.jpg

The 33” MTR’s and 17” spyderlock wheels might have been premature. With the extra clearance from the PSC fenders I decided to go for it!

Moab over Thanksgiving was the first outing for LJR! I was impressed how well it did for being mostly stock. We ran fins and things, and Hells Revenge. Once getting to the obstacles “Hells Gate” and “the Escalator” I decided it was time to put it to the test. Climbed both drama free! Walked right up. The trip was great, very impressed with the Jeep. One thing did not impress me. The stock shovel transfer case skid.
e9d58373-a3a6-41e6-a3be-539642982ed1-jpeg.jpg

22209602-b840-4f58-87db-fb757b3ce15f-jpeg.jpg

482f27fe-1d9a-43aa-91c5-132de1313481-jpeg.jpg

931e4b28-309d-4547-9294-98b6ccd8e1fc-jpeg.jpg

A Savvy Tummy Tuck was ordered as soon as I got home along with all the other mods needed to make the install possible
a58388e4-7199-4912-a083-a696624d3913-jpeg.jpg

3dbb72b2-e1de-465d-9d7d-49f90810c444-jpeg.jpg

Fast forward to now, very bummed the EJS 2020 got cancelled because of the COVID-19. The LJR has gotten more parts like rocksliders, hood louver, spider web shade top, and a best top duster cover. I’m sure I’m missing all sorts of little things I’ve done. But here a picture of it how it’s set up for the summer.
The bank is slowly growing for the purchase of the Savvy Mid Arm lift kit. I have Genright outboard shock towers and other goodies waiting until the collection of parts for the lift is complete. Hopefully this winter I’ll have all the parts ready to go!

a60ffd2a-b555-4cfa-888e-559c16757be6-jpeg.jpg

The only time i read a build post is when photos catch my eye. Please reach out with any questions! I will be happy to go into more details.
After the install of the Savvy TT, I was happy temporarily. I knew there would need to be a lift before too long. In the mean time more wheeling trips were planned. I attended Trail Hero in Sand Hollow UT. Awesome trails! The LJ did shocking well. I put it to the test and found some of the limitations with my current build.

What at Sand Hollow, We were able to run Milts Mile, Double Sammy, and Sliplock Gulch. here are some photos of the trip.

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

30142B16-AC62-4830-871A-398ADB4F0CB2.JPG

IMG_3234.jpg

After the Sand Hollow trip there was about a month before Thanksgiving 2020. Being in Moab over thanksgiving is an annual trip for my family and friends.

There were a few little things I needed/wanted to do to the LJ before the trip. First on the list was a new exhaust manifold. My stock one had cracked at some point since I purchased the Jeep. I was able to pick up another stock set. One Saturday and I was able to knock that project out.

I always liked the thought of a transmission temp gauge to keep on eye on things. after reading some posts about where to mount the sensor I decided to make a bung and weld it into the pan. A quick easy project on the lathe and I had some stainless steel bungs.
Knowing it is usually chilly in Moab at the end of November, heated seats were on the list. (More so for the wife) She claims the Jeep is now her favorite vehicle we own because of the seats and the heater that will just about melt yourself. Here are a few photos of the installs!
62509002727__CFB18941-953F-4B01-8BEC-1609A8A98CEF.JPG

6E4D12C0-EEDD-4579-9C22-AE1C9B1DB5D7.JPG

62614500070__187E2B06-A2E7-4170-9A88-B1042198CB6A.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

Moab was a blast over Thanksgiving! Everything on the jeep preformed perfectly. No issues for anyone in our group! While in Moab I had an exciting package arrive at the house. Six boxes that said Savvy Offroad! I was just as excited to get home as I was to be out using the Jeep.

A few photos from Moab..
IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

My Lj and my Dads '71 CJ6 at the top of "The Escalator" on Hells Revenge. Long Jeeps are better ;)
IMG_3618.jpg

Once I got home, my Savvy Mid Arm lift was waiting for me. All the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. Next week I am planning to begin the project. (I do all my own work) Just need to make room for it in my dads shop and get to it!

IMG_3711.jpg

Last edited:
great looking Jeep! Love the build direction. The PS fenders and corners are on my short list as well. Digging the paint match with black flares. May have to steal that idea for when I do my install!

Look forward to seeing the mid-arm go on.

Reactions: Pressurized
Copied my new member post, it has most of the starting days of my build. Hope you enjoy.

New to the forum! I have used it for info quite a bit so I figured I’d join.
last year I picked up my LJR, a long awaited first Jeep (dream Jeep to add). It came up on local classifieds the jeep was in a light roll over. 98k miles for $9,000. Yellow wasn’t my first choice in color...but for the price I couldn’t let that turn me away. Nickname of “Sunny Side Up” quickly became part of the Jeep

A few little repairs, a trip to the body shop to make insure the frame was straight and the Jeep was road worthy.
View attachment 208341
View attachment 208342

A new top was the first purchase because the original hardtop didn’t survive the roll over.
View attachment 208343

I decided to do the PSC defenders with 3” tapered flares. I opted out the stretched rear crushed corners and high line fenders because I’m wanting to do a more mild build. I prepped them for paint then headed to a buddies paint booth to shoot a color matched yellow and black flares.
View attachment 208344

Drilling into a clean tub was hard...but worth it! I’m happy with the results
View attachment 208345

The 33” MTR’s and 17” spyderlock wheels might have been premature. With the extra clearance from the PSC fenders I decided to go for it!

Moab over Thanksgiving was the first outing for LJR! I was impressed how well it did for being mostly stock. We ran fins and things, and Hells Revenge. Once getting to the obstacles “Hells Gate” and “the Escalator” I decided it was time to put it to the test. Climbed both drama free! Walked right up. The trip was great, very impressed with the Jeep. One thing did not impress me. The stock shovel transfer case skid.
View attachment 208346
View attachment 208347
View attachment 208348
View attachment 208349

A Savvy Tummy Tuck was ordered as soon as I got home along with all the other mods needed to make the install possible
View attachment 208350

View attachment 208351

Fast forward to now, very bummed the EJS 2020 got cancelled because of the COVID-19. The LJR has gotten more parts like rocksliders, hood louver, spider web shade top, and a best top duster cover. I’m sure I’m missing all sorts of little things I’ve done. But here a picture of it how it’s set up for the summer.
The bank is slowly growing for the purchase of the Savvy Mid Arm lift kit. I have Genright outboard shock towers and other goodies waiting until the collection of parts for the lift is complete. Hopefully this winter I’ll have all the parts ready to go!

View attachment 208352

The only time i read a build post is when photos catch my eye. Please reach out with any questions! I will be happy to go into more details.
After the install of the Savvy TT, I was happy temporarily. I knew there would need to be a lift before too long. In the mean time more wheeling trips were planned. I attended Trail Hero in Sand Hollow UT. Awesome trails! The LJ did shocking well. I put it to the test and found some of the limitations with my current build.

What at Sand Hollow, We were able to run Milts Mile, Double Sammy, and Sliplock Gulch. here are some photos of the trip.

View attachment 208326
View attachment 208327

View attachment 208331
View attachment 208332

After the Sand Hollow trip there was about a month before Thanksgiving 2020. Being in Moab over thanksgiving is an annual trip for my family and friends.

There were a few little things I needed/wanted to do to the LJ before the trip. First on the list was a new exhaust manifold. My stock one had cracked at some point since I purchased the Jeep. I was able to pick up another stock set. One Saturday and I was able to knock that project out.

I always liked the thought of a transmission temp gauge to keep on eye on things. after reading some posts about where to mount the sensor I decided to make a bung and weld it into the pan. A quick easy project on the lathe and I had some stainless steel bungs.
Knowing it is usually chilly in Moab at the end of November, heated seats were on the list. (More so for the wife) She claims the Jeep is now her favorite vehicle we own because of the seats and the heater that will just about melt yourself. Here are a few photos of the installs!
View attachment 208334
View attachment 208333

View attachment 208335

View attachment 208336

Moab was a blast over Thanksgiving! Everything on the jeep preformed perfectly. No issues for anyone in our group! While in Moab I had an exciting package arrive at the house. Six boxes that said Savvy Offroad! I was just as excited to get home as I was to be out using the Jeep.

A few photos from Moab..
View attachment 208339
View attachment 208338

My Lj and my Dads '71 CJ6 at the top of "The Escalator" on Hells Revenge. Long Jeeps are better ;)
View attachment 208337

Once I got home, my Savvy Mid Arm lift was waiting for me. All the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. Next week I am planning to begin the project. (I do all my own work) Just need to make room for it in my dads shop and get to it!

View attachment 208340
Thats an exciting pile of parts!!

Reactions: sunnysideup_lj
great looking Jeep! Love the build direction. The PS fenders and corners are on my short list as well. Digging the paint match with black flares. May have to steal that idea for when I do my install!

Look forward to seeing the mid-arm go on.
Thanks! Making the masking tape line for the flare was the most nerve wracking part...turned out as good as I could have hope. Very happy with the outcome!

That wall you climbed at sand hallow was ridiculous!! what was your lift height when you did that? stock motor and rubi gears? awesome build.
Hahah I too was amazed to make it! The whole trip I was waiting to give that obstacle a go. The Jeep was on stock suspension and stock drivetrain at that points. Just shows how impressive these Jeep can be nearly stock

Something about the stock fenders and flares look awesome! Very clean LJ. What lift size and tire size are you running?
I have stock fenders on my JK too... Just like that look. So, I'm at 4.5" of lift plus the 1.25" body lift. With the tummy tuck, she's got some really nice belly clearance. Running 35's on 15's...

Good day working on the Jeep! Started by getting the rear end on jack stands and pulled the rear axle out. Plan on doing the rear first then moving to front. Lots of cutting and grinding but was able to remove the unneeded factory brackets off the frame and axle.
C5838FD7-64FC-41E4-9827-A8FB13E9594F.jpeg

EB123884-50DC-44EC-A491-3F7D95289EBD.jpeg

Next I plan to cut the upper coil buckets off to relocate them. Then begins the tacking and welding!

Here’s a little bit of practice welding coupons... 1/4” to 1/8” trying to mock welding the Savvy brackets to the frame. I’d say I’ve got the setting just about dialed!
80DFCE29-24DE-4776-A530-75B1D2972423.jpeg

I assume you're going to relocate the upper spring perch while you're at it?

Progress is slow as I only get a few hours after work to spend on the Jeep. I got the rear upper coil pads cut off, and welded the rear truss, the control arm frame mounts, and welded the coil pads in their corrected position. I am very pleased with the way things are coming together so far! Enjoy the pics!
F237CA23-583D-4897-9706-25490A876F83.jpeg
8C0934FB-F052-4BFA-A571-51414857521A.jpeg
8F4BE1CE-A6D5-4CAC-8958-4F6E0E3A7F6C.jpeg

First week of the build is coming to an end. I feel I made a good amount of progress. The rear end is near complete. Everything is repainted, ring and pinion is installed, locker lines and wires are rerouted. I am waiting on the rear brake line. Tracking says it should arrive on Tuesday. The Jeep is sitting back in its own weight!
Shout out to @hosejockey61 for the input and tips on the ring and pinion install. I got the pattern and backlash just right!
The process of cycling the suspension has been done a number of times already. A few more adjustments to get the pinion angle perfect, and a night with the cutoff wheel for the 37’s to fit is needed! (I know...most of you squirm with the thought of 37’s. I know the risks 😎)

27E9022A-1ABB-496E-B18B-C9790CD47167.jpeg

7FBC4D70-CB1A-4746-8901-4AFEE5291794.jpeg

9B166B1F-57BE-45F4-AD23-24DEB8D292A8.jpeg

1E69F3DB-335F-431E-9BBF-22639693AF1F.jpeg

Last edited:
That is one of the cleanest LJ's I think I've ever seen! Glad you got your gears dialed in. We just finished a Savvy mid arm install last night. It took two days for the rear although a lot of that was exhaust work. One day on the front end. What a fun but exhausting project. The way you present your photos makes it look fairly straight forward and simple, but it's anything but in order to do it right. There is so much small work to be done that eats time. Nice work so far!

That is one of the cleanest LJ's I think I've ever seen! Glad you got your gears dialed in. We just finished a Savvy mid arm install last night. It took two days for the rear although a lot of that was exhaust work. One day on the front end. What a fun but exhausting project. The way you present your photos makes it look fairly straight forward and simple, but it's anything but in order to do it right. There is so much small work to be done that eats time. Nice work so far!
Thank you for the compliment, I’ve been trying to take my time and doing everything neat and clean! I have enjoyed putting the lift on so far. I wish I was finished up with the whole thing as you are! Haha I haven’t even touched the exhaust yet either...😬 it might be dumped at the skid plate for the time being so I can run it for a test sooner.
You are right, The photos do hide a lot of the headache involved. Not to mention the piles and piles of grinding dust lol.
I can’t wait to get out and drive the Jeep again! Hopefully within the next couple weeks