Midland MXT275 MicroMobile

Get your license and you could potentially communicate with me. Not sure what part of San Fran your at, but check out the range on this repeater!
https://mygmrs.com/repeater/397
Holy crap! Thats pretty damn far! Am working on the license and should have it this week hopefully. That would be awesome to talk to you from my town

Reactions: bobthetj03
Leave the CB in place, you'll eventually regret removing it if you want to wheel in different areas with different groups of people. CB is still the most commonly used way to communicate even if some small groups have standardized on something else. I don't just have CB in my Jeep but I need and use it for 99% of the wheeling I do which is all over the place. I don't just wheel with one small group.
I agree 100%, thats what I was thinking. Part of me wants to keep it just in case. Now if I could just tune it properly. I have a SWR meter but my coax cable is frayed and some copper is sticking out so I dont know if its that or I have a bad ground

This is what I use to communicate with CB'ers on trail runs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N43KM5S/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Eventually, hand-held radios like that used inside a vehicle turn into PITA to use due to needing an external antenna to communicate over even slightly longer distance and a power cord to eliminate the need for batteries.

Not to mention they're in the way if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, what do you do with it other than lay it on the floor? A permanently mounted CB is definitely much easier to use, that is for sure.

Eventually, hand-held radios like that used inside a vehicle turn into PITA to use due to needing an external antenna to communicate over even slightly longer distance and a power cord to eliminate the need for batteries.

Not to mention they're in the way if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, what do you do with it other than lay it on the floor? A permanently mounted CB is definitely much easier to use, that is for sure.
Mine fits nicely in the cup holder of my center console, but I can't argue with your logic. A hard mounted unit with an external antenna is convenient and more powerful if you have the accommodations to mount multiple units and multiple antennas. I prefer less clutter myself. If memory serves me, you have a HAM radio also? Where did you mount your stuff? Overhead rack?

Reactions: D M
I just found this on the CA4WDC site for one of there up coming events

" Be sure to equip your vehicle with a GMRS radio so you can enjoy the full experience."

Reactions: bobthetj03 and L J
I’ve had so much difficulty w my CB that I decided to send my new Firestik and spring back and just get this handheld Motorola GMRS. I’m going to try to mount it just like my Cobra-75. Hopefully it won’t try to jump out of the holder. Plus it comes with ear buds which might make comms much clearer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W75BL1S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Alex01
I’ve had so much difficulty w my CB that I decided to send my new Firestik and spring back and just get this handheld Motorola GMRS. I’m going to try to mount it just like my Cobra-75. Hopefully it won’t try to jump out of the holder. Plus it comes with ear buds which might make comms much clearer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W75BL1S/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Any particular reason you chose those over the Midland pair? I like that the Midlands have a charger base and cig lighter charger. But I still haven’t decided on handhelds vs the mxt275.
Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio - Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather Scan (Black/Silver, Pair Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WMFYH4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Any particular reason you chose those over the Midland pair? I like that the Midlands have a charger base and cig lighter charger. But I still haven’t decided on handhelds vs the mxt275.
Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio - Long Range Walkie Talkie with 142 Privacy Codes, SOS Siren, and NOAA Weather Alerts and Weather Scan (Black/Silver, Pair Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WMFYH4/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I like that I can talk hands free. Can charge both at the same time. I like the looks better. There were several bad reviews of the Midlands. They are both Amazon Choice. I like less clutter, so a handheld seems good for me. I might keep looking

Reactions: jazngab
Mine fits nicely in the cup holder of my center console, but I can't argue with your logic. A hard mounted unit with an external antenna is convenient and more powerful if you have the accommodations to mount multiple units and multiple antennas. I prefer less clutter myself. If memory serves me, you have a HAM radio also? Where did you mount your stuff? Overhead rack?
I mounted mine overhead using the mount from Arizona Rocky Road, it requires no drilling to install. Its design is especially nice that it hides the wires inside. That's a Yaesu FT-2900R 2 meter ham radio on top and a Uniden Pro-520xl CB on the bottom.

CB&HamRadios.JPG

Reactions: bobthetj03
Where do you stow the mics?
I use spring-loaded automatic mic retractors for both which works great. No need to have to put the mic back into its holder.

They're easily found on sites like Amazon. Like this though I didn't use the extra cord or connectors, I cut the snap-on connector off the string and just tied the string to the button on the back of the mic. I siliconed the retractor housing to the top of the mounting bracket where it has been working well for a dozen years now. This is a retractor like I used... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00361UOTM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My mic cords don't hang down like it shows below any more, I gave both cords one wrap around the mount which gives them enough slack to be pulled out for use but not to hang down.

RadiosWithMics.jpg

Reactions: D M and bobthetj03
I mounted mine overhead using the mount from Arizona Rocky Road, it requires no drilling to install. Its design is especially nice that it hides the wires inside...
Thank you for this. I was planning on using a piece of uni-strut to roll my own, and I still might, but this is certainly priced right!

For those using the MXT275 do you find that having everthing in the mic is a plus or a hindrance ? It seams like I would keep accidentally hitting buttons.

I like being able to hide the main unit, but the MXT115 is not a really big unit. Also no one seams to be using the larger 40 watt MXT400 any reason why ?

Also planning on keeping my CB for time when everyone has a CB bu not everyone has a GMRS, and if possible mounting the antenna on the other rear tail light to match.

And lastly I like the idea of having GMRS hand held units just for use to be able to communicate with my spotter. Not that I can't see them when needed but there are a lot of times when my spotter / passenger walks ahead or back to check on fellow jeepers that are having a hard time. It would be nice to know wheats going on and wether I need to go back to help with a pull or whatever. Also having them in camp when guys go off fishing or hiking.

Does anyone run with a CB , Ham, and GMRS ?

I haven't had any issues with the hand set. The buttons are fairly well spaced and take some engagement to push, so accidently pushing one hasn't been an issue for me. My Cobra CB had everything on the hand set too, so I may just be used to it. The mxt-115 is literally the exact same radio as the 275, but with the controls on the main unit. Other than the $100 additional price tag for the mxt-400, I can't see a reason not to try it. Other than having more power, you have the option to program custom channels with a certain cable and software. You're limited to programming only 7 channels though. Programing comes in handy if you want to access repeaters with split tones. I've found the 15 watts of the 275 sufficient for my needs. I'm considering getting the mxt-115 for my RV. It would be nice to be able to communicate with the wife at base camp for times when she doesn't want to wheel with me for the day.