Midland MXT275 MicroMobile

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Anyone have experience with the Midland MicroMobile radios particularly the MXT275 model? Thinking of getting one while they are 20% off. Gmrs seems to be the way most groups are going. I’ve got my ham ticked already but not enough people are using them. And CB is dead it seems.

I have a MXT400 that came with my Sprinter. I played with it a little and it seems like a good unit but I have yet to find anyone to converse with.

In my area most jeepers use CB and CB is frequently used by logging trucks on the routes in and out of active logging operations. Two offroading groups I travel with use 2 meter ham. I don't know anyone who uses GMRS, but hear rumors that the Overland Bound crowd is into them and maybe even JL people too.

Midland is investing substantial sums of marketing money pushing GMRS as the 21st Century replacement for CB. I've often posted that I didn't foresee any radio platform replacing CB among jeepers "anytime soon," but with the recent marketing partnership between Midland and Jeep Jamboree, and the penchant among the Overland Bound crowd for technology and gadgets and the newest thing,* and with nothing to freaking do but sit at home during the lockdown and buy stuff on Amazon, I am reversing my position and now think that more widespread GMRS usage is around the corner.

Reactions: JMT and Apparition
Sadly I’m considering it also and I don’t know anyone that runs anything other than a CB.

The range on these is far better than CB and the clarity as well. It seems more and more people on the trails out here in CO are utilizing the gmrs. I’ve been using a handheld gmrs but figured I’d replace my CB that has not been used in nearly 2yrs in favor of the gmrs. I also carry a 2m/70cm ham radio but not enough use them. I did Go ahead and order the MXT275 I looked at the MXT400 and like the power but I really like the small size of the main unit and all the controls on the handset on the MXT275. I did upgrade to a 6db gain antenna for this unit though.

Reactions: inkedrose
Talk about fast shipping. I ordered the radio and antenna on Monday night. Received it on Wednesday at noon

Talk about fast shipping. I ordered the radio and antenna on Monday night. Received it on Wednesday at noon
I'm considering this unit to replace my CB. I have my CB antenna mounted to the driver side tail light via a bracket mount. Could I mount the 6db antenna in the same location.?

How do you like the unit so far?

Should be able to use your same mount. It’s been great so far. Much nicer sound and a lot clearer speech and long distance

Reactions: bobthetj03
I pulled the trigger and got the MXT-275, along with the 6db antenna. Mounted it same places as my CB and ditched the CB all together.
20210207_141011.jpg
20210207_141050.jpg
20210207_141230.jpg

I stow the handset behind my center console when I'm not using it.
So far, I'm very pleased with its performance.

How does the MXT275 compare to just buying the Midland pair of handhelds for $70?
The handhelds are good for close proximity comms, but you are limited in range since it has a short, fixed antenna. I'd say the handhelds are good for a few miles of unobstructed comms. The MXT-115 is the same exact radio as the 275, with the features on the radio instead of the hand set of the 275.

Reactions: jazngab
The one down side to the 115 and 275 is you cannot program frequencies other than what is preprogrammed into the unit. This comes into play if you get your GMRS license and use repeaters that have split tones. My work around for this has been to broadcast on the tx tone, then turn on the monitor mode to receive.

Am following this thread, just ordered the midlan mxt275 with the upgrade cable and antenna. Will probably be replacing my CB with it

You saw what it can do, so I think you'll be happy with that setup.
Im excited to try it. My current CB setup (uniden pro 510xl w/ 3' firestik) doesnt have good range maybe a mile at best. I dont really know how to tune it and what made me jump so fast on the midlan is the fact that it is a plug and play, i am currently working on getting my FCC license

Reactions: bobthetj03
Im excited to try it. My current CB setup (uniden pro 510xl w/ 3' firestik) doesnt have good range maybe a mile at best. I dont really know how to tune it and what made me jump so fast on the midlan is the fact that it is a plug and play, i am currently working on getting my FCC license
Get your license and you could potentially communicate with me. Not sure what part of San Fran your at, but check out the range on this repeater!
https://mygmrs.com/repeater/397

Reactions: D M
Am following this thread, just ordered the midlan mxt275 with the upgrade cable and antenna. Will probably be replacing my CB with it
Leave the CB in place, you'll eventually regret removing it if you want to wheel in different areas with different groups of people. CB is still the most commonly used way to communicate even if some small groups have standardized on something else. I don't just have CB in my Jeep but I need and use it for 99% of the wheeling I do which is all over the place. I don't just wheel with one small group.