Millenials + GoFundMe =

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My generation is made up of a LOT of lazy people who really seem to want everything handed to them.

Case in point:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-with-mechanic-cost-please

Disclaimer: Because some Debbie Downer is going to call me out on this (I'm sure of it), I'm going to say that I realize this isn't everyone who is a millennial. I'm posting this out of amusement and disbelief, so calm your horses.

hahaha Love his comment 'Unfortunately I have to pay out of pocket for this. Please share this and help me'
Don't we all have to pay out of pocket, its called life....if you cant afford a car don't get one.
Its like they want hand outs and the easy route for everything...
Its the same with these women/girls who want a 'Sugar Daddy' to pay for all there bills, accommodation new car (and not just any car will do)
Get off you a$$ and get a job or better yourself with a trade or higher education..!! (not much pisses me off but this does.)

Last edited:
It's the truly entitled generation, and many of them don't feel the need to be responsible even for themselves. For example, there are tons of Gofundme accounts asking for burial money. While an untimely death is a tragedy, I'm the silly dumba$$ that carries life insurance for me and my family. Imagine that? I guess that makes me an idiot. Gofundme is a high tech way of panhandling, and I doubt I'll ever be compelled to give a penny to it.

Edit, here's one I could get behind though:

Generra wants a new pair

Last edited:
And asking for $1,500. Even factoring in tow fees, likely quite a bit more than actual costs. Unless it's someone I personally know, I think the majority of them are scams.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
1563797864956.png

And another reason I never give to a gofundme account. Even though facebook is the devil, I see a lot of people asking buy,sell,trade pages looking for jobs, I post the U.S. Army Recruiting link. Why not, they give you free food, clothes, a place to sleep, even transportation and paid vacations to unique countries with "friendly" locals. Plus, you can get paid to go to college/trade school after!
Additionally, you'll see a business post about an opening and not one single sole asks about details, truly a terrible generation of worthless people. I am technically a millennial, but no way in hell I'd ever stoop this low.

• Haha
Reactions: McNamara and Chris
I like the GoFundMe page Kanye started for the millions he lost on his dumbass clothing enterprise, and then the opposing version called "GoF*uckMe" to make fun of him. On the flip side, the very tiny and very poor school district I work in desperately needed lap tops for students, and we were very successful raising the money through GFM.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
On the flip side, the very tiny and very poor school district I work in desperately needed lap tops for students, and we were very successful raising the money through GFM.
GFM can be a great thing. I know people that went through cancer treatment that were able to raise money to help out while they couldn't work, and I've seen local families that lost their houses to fires use it to help rebuild since insurance doesn't cover 100% of everything lost.

But like all good things, it gets abused.

The vast majority of GoFundMe is absurd. I've donated to a few of them over the years, but only to people that need significant help. There was one in my town where a woman was left with 5 kids after her husband was killed by a bear (he was a hunting guide and protected his clients, but died of his injuries). Scenarios like that truly deserve donations and I believe she raised over $200k.

Everyday expenses like tires though? Definitely not worth my donation.

Reactions: McNamara and Chris
I have close friends who lost their 16 yr old son almost two years ago. A go fund me was set up to cover expenses. Problem was the fund got so hi they had so much left over and did not feel it was right to keep it. They set up a charity fund and give scholarships to high school seniors each semester.

My dad is currently dying from Stage IV neck and throat cancer. He drained through his entire savings and had to downsize to a one bedroom apartment. He's living on pennies now, and even with as much as we can help him out, it wasn't enough.

With GoFundMe, we raised 10k for him and my step-mom. It didn't put much of a dent in things, but nonetheless, it helped.

That being said, GoFundMe can be used for good, I have no doubt. However, it can also be abused as is the case with the original post.

Also, maybe you guys missed it, but that story in the news recently where that couple supposedly started that GoFundMe to help that "homeless" man who helped them when they ran out of gas... yeah, that turned out to be nothing but a huge scam, remember?

Bottom line, don't donate to anyone on GoFundMe unless you know them in some way, shape, or form. There's a lot of scammers on there who are using pity stories that aren't even true.

A lot of people have turned GoFundMe into panhandling on a global scale.

Yup. I would not donate one red cent unless I knew the person myself or knew them through a lot of people that I know and trust personally.

I donated to GFM for a co worker who’s son had leukemia. They had to go from FL to Seattle for 4 months for a bone marrow transplant. He’s been in remission now for over 3 years.

I refused to donate to a friend of my wife’s who wanted GFM to pay for her wedding. Sorry, scale back the wedding if you can’t afford it. Wife was POd. Hey I paid for my own wedding, not the wife’s parents, not her or my friends.

I need a roof on my house. Yeah, I have 3 nice vehicles and more tools than God. But hey I’ll start a GFM! Why should I have to pay to fix my roof??? Sheesh!