Utah Moab trip June 2020

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
My daughter is a freshman in college and my son is a Junior in high school. Time is running out!

I've been doing a lot of thinking and research about a Moab trip with the kids next summer and am looking for lots of advice.

Initially I started thinking I would trailer my Jeep there from FL (2000 miles). This would only work I think if I was able to find an LJ by then as I think the TJ would be tight on the trails for for three tall adults. If I tow I would probably do it solo, enjoy the road trip and have the kids fly out because my daughter has limited time off in summer from college.

I've also been looking into renting a Jeep there. Steep at $300 per day for a JKUR with 35's but probably cheaper than trailering etc, especially since I don't even own a trailer.

Questions:
1-Is June a good time to go?
2-Am i too late to start making reservations already? I notice the hotel and airline prices are high already.
3-Is there camping along the trails?
4-Tow or rent?

I'm researching trails for now and will ask some advice later on. We will probably be on our own unless I can get my buddy from CA to join us.

Reactions: cmitcham
You might try researching on the wheeling \ travel forums. Lots of people have planned their first trip and asked the same questions. Try the Regional sections too.

One of my trips to Moab was in June. I was told it would be hot, and to pack plenty of water. It wasn't that hot, but who can predict the weather? It was nice that it wasn't as crowded as say a Safari or Jamboree week.

As for as towing vs. renting, I think that's up to you; your patience, your funds, etc, etc.

IMO, if you have put any amount of time and/or money into your Jeep, I would think you would want to have it in Moab. Do you want pictures of your Jeep or somebody elses?

Have you considered buying or building a small cargo trailer for the TJ and just driving? If you can de-junk the TJ, you’ll have a lot more space. There are better rear seats available (PRP and Corbeau are a couple options) that would be more comfortable, and I’ve even heard of people moving the rear seat back a few inches.

With a trailer, you could simply drop the trailer at the campsite and be ready to hit the trails in minutes. And you can bring as much junk as you want. And you have 3 extra spare tires...

@Mike the Silver TJ
Not sure if you're still entertaining the idea. But on the subject of renting. I have a rental reserved for TJfest, it does come at a cost but does make it easy. I don't know Nick the owner of Twisted Jeep Rentals but spent 20 minutes on the phone with him. Knowledgeable, helpful, never tried to "sell" me. Give em' a call and weigh out your options.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper