Modifications and advice for extreme cold

Made some progress on winterizing the Jeep today and wanted to share since the information is scarce, at least when compared to which oil to use.

Installed:
ABN Oil Pan heater ($20, Amazon) someone more experienced that helped me stated that this was overkill at 150 Watts🤷‍♂️ but would be fine.
Zerostart 3100072 Freeze Plug Engine Block Heater | 120 Volts | 600 Watts ($37, Amazon)
Trickle charger, Built 4 Charging 1.5 Amp ($60, Auto skills Center, shop around if possible)
3 way extension cord, 2 ft, Arctic Grade ($18, Auto Skills Center)
Xerex G05 x 2 ($44, Autozone) + distilled water ($1.50/gal). I used facet water. (Don't be like me). Dilute and test to -50 to -60° F
RTV, High-temp ($10ish)
Zip-ties
2-6 hours of time

Oil Pan Heater

Self adhesive pad. Easy enough. A tip I was told was to use RTV to fill in the "X" on the bottom of the oil pan. Apparently leaving air gaps can cause the pad to burn out. Also adding too much, like a glue, could act as an insulation layer and lessen the effectiveness of the heater, or so I am told. I placed the pad towards the rear of the pan to maximize the flat area due to the drain plug. Then route the power cable, making sure to avoid the exhaust and other sharp/hot areas. I routed up to the AC lines on the AC accumulator and towards the battery.
66147545854__55588A6D-4D90-4566-8427-39FC681EEBBE (1).jpg

Trickle Charger
Disconnect battery cables. Connect Pos to Pos and Neg to Neg for the charger. Make sure to zip-tie or secure the box somewhere safe. On that note, I would wait to secure the power cables until you have all the heaters and junction cable in place to ensure you have enough play. Leave battery cables disconnected until the end.

Block Heater
Drain coolant from radiator through drain valve. Remove serpentine belt. Drink frosty beverage and wait.

There are a few ways to remove the forward most freeze plug, as per my heaters instructions. The route I chose was to remove the power steering pump to gain access and leave the AC compressor in place.
IMG_5007 (1).jpg

The steering pump has 3x 13mm (I believe) bolts holding it is place that need to be removed through the holes on the pulley. Move out of the way and snake a punch or similar object through the compressor lines.
IMG_5016 (1).jpg

Place a drip pan underneath to catch the coolant that is going to come out of the block. Place the punch on one side of the plug to rotate it vs punching it in the center and into the block and spiralling into a fit of rage. I put my pinch bar on the right side (3 o'clock) of the plug. Now proceed to beat that thing. Seriously, after 16 years that plug has settled down and laid roots in there. I removed the grill support rod 🤷‍♂️ for extra whacking room (2x 13mm).

IMG_5021.jpg

Once the plug has rotated, snake the plier-like-device of your choosing past the steering pump bracket and pull the plug out. Now remove any burrs in the freeze plug hole, I did not find any, and clean with a rag. Install your block heater according to the MFGs instructions. My instructions were to lubricate to o-ring on the heater with coolant or soapy water and press into the hole at the 12 o'clock position (hoop facing up). Once settled and flush, tighten the bracket bolt on the heater to 25 in-lbs. Attach and route cable. I routed mine to the AC lines once again and across the engine on the intake pipe.

Now replace coolant with mix that you have tested to be adequate to your area. I went with ~ -65° F. Reconnect battery and burp air out of the system in whichever is your preferred way and check for leaks.

Route and secure junction cable. I routed mine between the body and frame through one of the rubber flaps on the passenger wheel well. Secure excess cables(y).
IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

I hope if someone needs to do this in the future, they find it mildly helpful. Anyone with more than a weeks experience in Alaska is more than welcome to let me know if I missed/messed up anything. If deemed worthy, I'll clean up this post, add a bit more explanation and post in the how-to section as I have only found a few youtube videos.

IMG_4982.jpg

Stay frosty my friends.

I still need to resolve my ticking issue. The jeep was in a garage while being winterized so I hoped that the noise would not be present when I left temporarily. Alas, it was still present. Debating on switching to a thinner weight fluid (believe I put Amsoil Synchromesh in last time) or just taking it somewhere to be bent over. The only thing I could find after a quick inspection was that my front driveshaft has far more play before engaging the diff gears that the rear. Can't remember if that was always present/normal.

I still need to resolve my ticking issue. The jeep was in a garage while being winterized so I hoped that the noise would not be present when I left temporarily. Alas, it was still present. Debating on switching to a thinner weight fluid (believe I put Amsoil Synchromesh in last time) or just taking it somewhere to be bent over. The only thing I could find after a quick inspection was that my front driveshaft has far more play before engaging the diff gears that the rear. Can't remember if that was always present/normal.
Duct tape will do good to hold it in place while the RTV dries.

Also the trickle charger is the way to go. But don’t cook your batteries from over doing it when it gets warmer. Or you park them for long periods of time. Lost an RV battery to that $120 lesson.

The blue extension cords on Amazon aren’t anywhere as good as what you find local in Fairbanks. And they are about the same price.

Amsoil syncromesh is 5-30 iirc which should be thin enough although at temps below -40 you will want to rush to take off when you first start up.

Here's a video of the sound. I was only driving around 20 mph and the sounds grows louder as I go faster. If I get on the highway today Ill snag another video.

I'll forewarn you as I travel to AK often for work...your rig will never warm up enough to defrost windows but luckily nearly all retail facilities have plug in posts. The suggestions so far are great because you need to stay warm and because of the extreme cold the heater can't keep up. I'd also recommend a radiator cover which goes against nearly everything all of us know and understand but the locals in AK run them for a reason.

Also if you don't want to downsize tires or mess around with a spare set I tried Grip Studs last winter and these work awesome. You can also take them back out pretty easily so you can keep your same tires for the summer months. There are other brands as well and Amazon offers them but these guys tell you which studs are best for which vehicle so I went with them. I even ran them on my track loader for plowing this winter and my driveway is about 3/4 mile long and steep with ice...it worked flawlessly.

https://www.gripstuds.com/1000_Tire_Stud.php
Those are exactly what I need. Too bad it would cost nearly $400 to do my tires. That's just unreasonable.

Those are exactly what I need. Too bad it would cost nearly $400 to do my tires. That's just unreasonable.
Have you priced 33 or larger studded tires? $400 wouldn’t cover one of them. You can also take these studs back out and re-use them. I just put last years back in mine and it was a piece of cake and it works great on shitty roads again.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Have you priced 33 or larger studded tires? $400 wouldn’t cover one of them. You can also take these studs back out and re-use them. I just put last years back in mine and it was a piece of cake and it works great on shitty roads again.
I understand. Still pretty pricy none the less.

I ran two sets of tires. One set of Blizzaks on stock wheels. and the mud tires on my rims. For Interior AK. Can’t go wrong with Blizzaks.

Reactions: Doug-AK
Welcome to Fairbanks! We PCS’d away from there six months ago and miss it terribly. It’s 50 degrees here in Ohio (family’s house) on Christmas Eve and everyone is grumpy.

I didn’t buy my TJ until a month ago, well after we moved to The Lower. I therefore 1) don’t have any TJ advice bc I’m a noob and 2) don’t have any Arctic TJ advice, either.

We used Blizzaks on the family SUV while we lived up there and they were nails. Best to buy rims to mount your winter tires to. We didn’t do that (we had no good advisement ahead of time) so I paid the shop 70 bucks per vehicle every season to swap my summer/winter tires out. Dumb.

Also, good call on the battery charger vice the warning blanket. The blanket we put on my Camry didn’t save the first battery - then a local recommended the charger and we had no further issues.

Our SUV lived in the heated garage so it rarely got plugged in; the Camry lived outside and I had no issues plugging it on only when it was -10 and below.

We lived on-post so electricity was free and I didn’t worry about leaving the car plugged in all night. If you’re off post, recommend a timer/thermo sensitive switch so you don’t burn through the electricity budget after 3 cold nights.