Mopar Sound Deck wiring help

Hooser

Hello all,

Audio wiring dilemma.
I have a 2003 Rubicon with factory center console 6" sub. I recently found a Mopar Sound Deck that has an 8" sub and tweeters. I would like to install the Sound Deck and keep the center speaker (I know, do I need both?) Anyway, the stock wiring harness for the Sound Deck is for a 97-2002 Tj and I need to adapt it to my 2003 radio and retain the center sub... I'm thinking that I can simply by a wire harness kit to match the Sound Deck and splice the wires into the plug for the head unit. But I'm not sure that will work properly. The other option would be to bypass the Sound Deck 50w amp and use an after market amp. For this however I am unsure how to wire the speakers to it. Anyone done anything similar to this? I can get pictures of the harness for the Sound Deck if needed and the manual.

I added some pictures of the unit.

sound deck.jpg

sound deck installed.jpg

sound deck installed 2.jpg

Here is the harness and the page from the install manual (keep in mind the instructions are for a 97 - 2002 Tj. My radio has the single plug.

SD manual.jpg

SD harness radio.jpg

SD harnees radio2.jpg

Do you happen to know the part number to the wiring harness for this sound deck. I picked one up but don't have the wiring or the mount. thanks, ken

Hey all just an update.
I have not been able to add this to my Tj sadly, I mean I have the factory 2003 console sub, this was just cool and I wanted it to work. What I tried was this: I purchased a 97 to 2002 radio wiring harness kit. I identified the right and left rear outputs on the factory plug and spliced the corresponding wires on the retro harness. I plugged this into the Sound Deck plug (as if it were plugged into the radio itself) and ran power from the fuse box. No luck. I tested power and it worked, the only thing that I can think of is there is something else in the wiring that I'm missing. It may just be easier to find a small 2 channel amp and just run it that way. It would just be sweet to be able to use the factory harness. I also thought about taking it to a car audio shop but unless I can find an old-school guy willing to take on the research challenge they will want to opt for an external amp also. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I'll tear into it again perhaps this summer.

Reactions: SSTJ
Hey @Hooser
Hey all just an update.
I have not been able to add this to my Tj sadly, I mean I have the factory 2003 console sub, this was just cool and I wanted it to work. What I tried was this: I purchased a 97 to 2002 radio wiring harness kit. I identified the right and left rear outputs on the factory plug and spliced the corresponding wires on the retro harness. I plugged this into the Sound Deck plug (as if it were plugged into the radio itself) and ran power from the fuse box. No luck. I tested power and it worked, the only thing that I can think of is there is something else in the wiring that I'm missing. It may just be easier to find a small 2 channel amp and just run it that way. It would just be sweet to be able to use the factory harness. I also thought about taking it to a car audio shop but unless I can find an old-school guy willing to take on the research challenge they will want to opt for an external amp also. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I'll tear into it again perhaps this summer.

Any updates? I'm in a similar situation here.