Mopar water pump alternatives?

Thanks, I will go get some today. How do you feel about leaving a product in the heater core over night to soak? I'm replacing all the hoses so not worried about them being damaged? Currently it heats like a jeep. Burns you out of cab in a few minuets.
I am afraid that my knowledge of Classical Music and the nuance of French Dance structure is sadly deficient so I am not quite able to ascertain the average length of a minuet, much less a few of them. However, I don't treat the heater core any differently than the rest of the cooling system.

Business correspondence will be proof read and corrected until it is correct and proper. TXTs, forums, not so much. Most the time my responses look like a 3rd rate scifi laser beam under the complete posting.

Business correspondence will be proof read and corrected until it is correct and proper. TXTs, forums, not so much. Most the time my responses look like a 3rd rate scifi laser beam under the complete posting.
None of which changes my level of care nary a whit.

Does the MOPAR box state where that pump is made?

A0158A2A-07AE-477F-A31E-FBD980DC7D0A.jpeg

1FAE8174-3D50-417A-92E9-E1305A5FFB07.jpeg

Reactions: Ericict
Finally got the system back together. What a mess. During the middle of the cooling system OH, I had to send the jeep to the shop to get the frame repaired. Safetcaps on both sides about 70% of frame replacement. I got the jeep back to finish the cooling system. I had a helper and we discussed the length of bolts when installing the pump. I had a leak and took the thing apart. Found the long blot (should be top) in the lowest hole. Cleaned everything, (x3) installed with Gasket, Gasket and RTV, RTV only and still leaking.

I pulled the pump bolted some plexiglass to the front to check the lower bolt hole for a crack into the water journal. All good, so it was either my my install sucked (never out of the question) or the pump was leaking. I went to the local Oreilly's and rented their radiator cap pressure tool. Pressurized the system and sure as shit it was leaking at the bolt hole.

Gates aftermarket pump had a crack internal to the hole and heater tube inlet. I went to my local MOPAR store and got a OEM water pump. I opened it and it looked exactly like the Gates. I told the parts guy what I had just gone thru and he was surprised, he said if not OEM, then he uses Gates as well. So now Jeep is running great, No leaks and cooler. It never deviates from the dot above the 210 mark.

I know there are many that will say (and do) that you should only use OEM and I don't follow that train of thought all the time. Would I use a Gates again. It depends on the application. On a Jeep (mine), yes. But only because it is so easy to replace the pump. I didn't have another Gates so I had to go to OEM. Although I have never met anyone from this forum, I could hear Mr Blain, Chris and Jerry, all sayin in unison, "We told you". All I could do was laugh and drink another beer and listen to my wife ask if I needed to take it to a shop for mechanic to look at it. GGRRRR. I am a fricken Mech Women!

I am a fricken Mech Women!

I've never met a mechanical woman or even women. But, there oft times needs to be some back ground as to why some of us do things the way we do them. I do not for a single second believe that someone won't find aftermarket parts that work exactly like the OEM stuff does. I do however believe fully that you won't get the same consistent quality level, whether that is high, low, or somewhere in between. I need anything I install to have a predictable level of quality so I know what to expect because I despise doing things over when something fails sooner than I think it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ericict and nk24
I've never met a mechanical woman or even women. But, there oft times needs to be some back ground as to why some of us do things the way we do them. I do not for a single second believe that someone won't find aftermarket parts that work exactly like the OEM stuff does. I do however believe fully that you won't get the same consistent quality level, whether that is high, low, or somewhere in between. I need anything I install to have a predictable level of quality so I know what to expect because I despise doing things over when something fails sooner than I think it should.
Totally agree with your statement. I’ve replaced a number of water pumps in my lifetime and never used O.E.M., if I was running a shop, I would push Oem for the very reasons you stated. The company I worked for prior to getting into aviation, would always offer OEM and aftermarket. Most customers didn’t want to pay the Oem prices. Which I understand as well.