More Clutch Issues

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So after driving a few months from fixing my last clutch issue where I could not shift which turned out to be the fork came loose, I can no longer shift again. The fork is not loose at-least from what I can tell without dropping the trans (last time it was very apparent with the slave cylinder removed).

After messing around I think it could be the hydraulics, which were replaced as a pre-bled set when having the issue last time, or could the transmission fluid cause this since it could be a bunch of extra particles from break-in since its a new transmission as of maybe 3000 miles ago?

I tried bleeding the new hydraulics, but no luck. I did however see some white stuff in the reservoir and near the hole so maybe? Pressing the clutch it feels normal though like it has full pressure.

Everything is new, transmission, clutch, hydraulics, etc. So not sure what it is this time.

IMG_8360.jpeg

So did some more playing around. Swapped the old master/slave cylinder in and it kind of helped and changed the trans fluid and that really helped. Not thrilled the new LUK failed so quick. But I do want to try and find some new hydrualics since what is now back on there has about 180k miles.

Reactions: macleanflood
Went back to issues right away and feels worse now since its now lurching where it didn't before. Only other thing I can think of is the friction disc maybe sticking to the spline? Im not thrilled I'm going to have to probably drop the trans….again.

• Sad
Reactions: Farmergreg
Pilot bearing got exploded. Was not a good sign when a little needle roller dropped out of the initial gap made separating trans from engine. So now the question is why did a sub 3000 mile bearing fail? My guess is when I dropped the trans around Christmas time, I reinstalled it wrong or am I supposed to grease it or not grease it? Trans input shaft looks a little rough?

IMG_8366.jpeg

IMG_8373.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
Yes you were supposed to pack grease into the new pilot bearing with your finger, that's why it failed so soon.

Yes you were supposed to pack grease into the new pilot bearing with your finger, that's why it failed so soon.

Well crap, I guess chock this one up to learning not to trust the bearing was greased enough when new.

Also need to find an input shaft too apparently. Annoying I have to replace that on a new AX15.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
On the flip side I've seen folks put too much grease in the pilot bearing hole and struggled to get the shaft in because it was essentially hydro locking.

-Mac