MORE motor mount lift problem

I jack the engine up via the harmonic balancer. Stick a 2x4 under it vertically, standing it on top of the jack. I don’t like to jack against the oil pan and there isn’t really anywhere else on the engine I can find that works.

Doesn't the crankshaft rotate? Seems like a poor place to put an engine support because you are worried about a gasket/or pan that nobody has ever reported damaging.

Doesn't the crankshaft rotate? Seems like a poor place to put an engine support because you are worried about a gasket that nobody has ever reported damaging.
Doesn’t rotate at all. Especially not in gear (manual) or in park with parking brake set. But even without those it sits right on it just fine.

I’m not concerned about the gasket, I don’t like putting that weight on the pan. I have dented them before. You also have a lot better leverage at the front of the motor than the back. Not that it matters to the jack but you’re putting much less force on the harmonic balancer than it would take to lift at the rear pan area.

No matter how you explain it, seems like stupid advice to me. Especially when multiple people have suggested using force to move the engine around.

I jack the engine up via the harmonic balancer. Stick a 2x4 under it vertically, standing it on top of the jack. I don’t like to jack against the oil pan and there isn’t really anywhere else on the engine I can find that works.
No one is suggesting to jack from the pan, jack it up from between the bolts where the pan bolts to the block. I use a 2x4 between there and my floor jack for that job.