More mountain biking

Never go test ride an EMTB because you will really, really want one. Test rode last years Merida and I currently ride an older Pivot Firebird, the Merida was amazing.

Just find as I'm getting older I ride those longer trails that have a lot of uphill sections less. With the EMTB I 'think' I'd ride more as the hills I now have to walk, I could ride.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Have any of you guys tried electric mountain bikes yet? Having ridden a lot of electric on-road bikes (and enjoyed them very much), I'm thinking that electric assist might be really fun when tackling some incredibly tough terrain off-road.

Just curious :)
Yeah, e-MTB's are great for helping people with minimal skills get into much more difficult terrain. Once e-bikes are allowed on all trails I am going to start lobbying for paving the entire Rubicon trail as well as all of Moab so Foresters, Patriots and CRV's can complete it.

Never go test ride an EMTB because you will really, really want one. Test rode last years Merida and I currently ride an older Pivot Firebird, the Merida was amazing.

Just find as I'm getting older I ride those longer trails that have a lot of uphill sections less. With the EMTB I 'think' I'd ride more as the hills I now have to walk, I could ride.
I hear that. I have a ‘17 Firebird as well, love the bike. It does everything well from DH to dirt jumps. It would be nice to skip waiting for the shuttle and just do endless laps. They are very pricey and I have more Jeep parts to buy ;)

Reactions: JMT
I don't live anywhere where the hills are big enough to warrant an E-bike. I might have mentioned it before, but a front suspension fork is not really necessary where I live...I have two other bikes, both rigid. Give me plus tires and a carbon fork and I'll ride the hell out of it!

Reactions: fuse
Yeah, e-MTB's are great for helping people with minimal skills get into much more difficult terrain. Once e-bikes are allowed on all trails I am going to start lobbying for paving the entire Rubicon trail as well as all of Moab so Foresters, Patriots and CRV's can complete it.

E-bikes rule. I just picked up an Haibike for the the wife. She has cardio issues (same shit that killed John Ritter) but now she can hit the trails with me and the kids. I think they're great.

E-bikes rule. I just picked up an Haibike for the the wife. She has cardio issues (same shit that killed John Ritter) but now she can hit the trails with me and the kids. I think they're great.
They certainly do have their place...just not for me just yet, but give me 10 years and I'll be grateful of some help on the trails😁

Reactions: Sj's TJ and qslim
@Mike_H. So I was looking at a recyclery here in Spokane and ran across a 2019 Santa Cruz 5010. I figured out it was a D+ build, so 27.5+. Had 2.6” wide tires on it. Travel is 130/120. I rode it, interesting, liked a lot around the block, went home to think about it. The next day my wife bought it for me for $1900, looks brand new apart from a couple of minor scratches.

D0987F88-B7B6-41D5-925A-94F289A06BB2.jpeg

Now I’ve ridden it on XC trail and On the flats and climbing it was a bear. I was so far behind it’s embarrassing to speak of. Of course, I was running low pressure, like 15/15 and my seat was too low. So I fixed that, weighed it. The thing weighs 34.4 lbs, like a Mack truck. So I was having second thoughts. Today I took on a downhill trail with the few corrections like tire pressure at 23/26 and seat height corrected. It was better climbing but still difficult and the descents were a dream. But I still don’t know. If the bike was carbon and had carbon wheelset I’d be lightning. I have 30 days.

Here’s a bike my son found that I thought was interesting. Running it by you for your thoughts.

Intense Sniper Foundation Build ($3500). 120/120, Carbon frame, Carbon wheelset, 29er, 26.4lbs. Plus I think you get 10% off your first purchase. Thoughts?

https://intensecycles.com/products/sniper-trail-foundation-build

• Love
Reactions: Sj's TJ and Kiwi TJ
@Mike_H. So I was looking at a recyclery here in Spokane and ran across a 2019 Santa Cruz 5010. I figured out it was a D+ build, so 27.5+. Had 2.6” wide tires on it. Travel is 130/120. I rode it, interesting, liked a lot around the block, went home to think about it. The next day my wife bought it for me for $1900, looks brand new apart from a couple of minor scratches.

View attachment 112021

Now I’ve ridden it on XC trail and On the flats and climbing it was a bear. I was so far behind it’s embarrassing to speak of. Of course, I was running low pressure, like 15/15 and my seat was too low. So I fixed that, weighed it. The thing weighs 34.4 lbs, like a Mack truck. So I was having second thoughts. Today I took on a downhill trail with the few corrections like tire pressure at 23/26 and seat height corrected. It was better climbing but still difficult and the descents were a dream. But I still don’t know. If the bike was carbon and had carbon wheelset I’d be lightning. I have 30 days.

Here’s a bike my son found that I thought was interesting. Running it by you for your thoughts.

Intense Sniper Foundation Build ($3500). 120/120, Carbon frame, Carbon wheelset, 29er, 26.4lbs. Plus I think you get 10% off your first purchase. Thoughts?

Ohhhh Im sooo jealous......sweeeeet ride !!!

View attachment 112021

5010's are great on the downs, but if you have the ability to trade it in then the Tallboy with plus tires sounds like it might be more to your liking. One great thing about SC is their lifetime warranty on their frames. I bought a Chameleon frame last year and built it with 3.0's and a Fox 120 fork and dropper, and it was still under 28 lbs. It flies for a trail bike.

5010's are great on the downs, but if you have the ability to trade it in then the Tallboy with plus tires sounds like it might be more to your liking. One great thing about SC is their lifetime warranty on their frames. I bought a Chameleon frame last year and built it with 3.0's and a Fox 120 fork and dropper, and it was still under 28 lbs. It flies for a trail bike.
I looked at the specs on the Tallboy. May be more up my alley. I’m trying to stay in a budget, but we know how that goes with Jeeps and MTB, the sky can be the limit when we can’t find what we want. I think my problem with the SC 5010 is the rotational mass. If I had a carbon wheelset and some 2.3’s I’d probably be faster and happier. I could run that setup in the spring-summer-fall and the 2.6 setup in the winter. Sounds ideal

Last edited:
I looked at the specs on the Tallboy. May be more up my alley. I’m trying to stay in a budget, but we know how that goes with Jeeps and MTB, the sky can be the limit when we can’t find what we want. I think my problem with the SC 5010 is the rotational mass. If I had a carbon wheelset and some 2.3’s I’d probably be faster and happier. I could run that setup in the spring-summer-fall and the 2.6 setup in the winter. Sounds ideal
Not sure if I so it above, but what kind of trails are you going to be riding (sound familiar :) ). I'm personally not a huge fan of 29ers for thetype of riding I do, but if it was mostly XC and not to rocky then either of those trail bikes would be a good choice. I wish I had multiple MTBs for the different types of riding I do, but I can only have one so I rock the Firebird. Climbs good enough and weighs 30lbs, not bad for 170mm of travel on both ends. It's basically a DH bike that can climb.

Throw a leg over the Intense if you get a chance. They're making really good bikes right now. And 29er wheels are going to be easier to spin up than those big 27.5+ tires. I haven't ridden the 5010, but I know Intense suspension is pretty snappy on the climbs. Right now, the Spider 29 is my go-to bike for fast rides and long distances.

Not sure if I so it above, but what kind of trails are you going to be riding (sound familiar :) ). I'm personally not a huge fan of 29ers for thetype of riding I do, but if it was mostly XC and not to rocky then either of those trail bikes would be a good choice. I wish I had multiple MTBs for the different types of riding I do, but I can only have one so I rock the Firebird. Climbs good enough and weighs 30lbs, not bad for 170mm of travel on both ends. It's basically a DH bike that can climb.
Trails here are very diverse. Some are strictly XC and others are more techy DH (but not extreme). I've been told by locals that you could literally have 5 different bikes here. I was trying to find a happy medium, a XC/Trail blend leaning more toward Trail bike but climb well. I will look into the Firebird, sounds like more travel than I am interested in, but if it climbs well, ok. Of course, it's a Pivot, so $$$$

Reactions: fuse and Sj's TJ
Throw a leg over the Intense if you get a chance. They're making really good bikes right now. And 29er wheels are going to be easier to spin up than those big 27.5+ tires. I haven't ridden the 5010, but I know Intense suspension is pretty snappy on the climbs. Right now, the Spider 29 is my go-to bike for fast rides and long distances.
No dealers around here, but I may just go for it anyway. At $3150 shipped it is a killer deal for Carbon/Carbon setup and 29ers. I could still run a 2.6 in the winter on the 27mm inner width rims. Thanks for the assurance they are making really good bikes now.

Reactions: fuse
Trails here are very diverse. Some are strictly XC and others are more techy DH (but not extreme). I've been told by locals that you could literally have 5 different bikes here. I was trying to find a happy medium, a XC/Trail blend leaning more toward Trail bike but climb well. I will look into the Firebird, sounds like more travel than I am interested in, but if it climbs well, ok. Of course, it's a Pivot, so $$$$
Pivot also makes a Mach 5.5 which is a great all arounder. Intense are also fantastic. Can't go wrong there and that deal is great.

Sarkis

I have a Santa Cruz Bronson. I really like it and ride of trails, tech, and jumps. I ride a few times a week and got a good deal on it because it was a demo bike at a bike shop nearby.

Reactions: JMT and Sj's TJ
I think a trail 29er with 120-130mm of travel is about as close as you can get to having one bike that can do it all. It's not going to be the fastest XC bike or the gnarliest DH bike, but it's still a good bike for those things. And it's going to kick ass all day on regular trail rides.

I think a trail 29er with 120-130mm of travel is about as close as you can get to having one bike that can do it all. It's not going to be the fastest XC bike or the gnarliest DH bike, but it's still a good bike for those things. And it's going to kick ass all day on regular trail rides.
I'm coming to the same conclusion.

I have a Santa Cruz Bronson. I really like it and ride of trails, tech, and jumps. I ride a few times a week and got a good deal on it because it was a demo bike at a bike shop nearby.
The Bronson is a step up from the 5010. I'm sure it is a gnarly bike.

Thanks to all for your insights, really helps, open to more suggestions if anyone has them. I had been thinking about a carbon hardtail setup with long travel up front for the techy DH trails but pretty much abandoned that idea after looking at head tube angles more setup for XC and just reading people's experience.