More mountain biking

The Bronson is a step up from the 5010. I'm sure it is a gnarly bike.
I really like it, my brother rides a 5010 which is a really nice bike too. They ride completely different, the bronson is glued to the ground and seems to go over everything quick due to the extra travel. The 5010 is more playful, if that makes sense. Both are good but depends mostly on preference.

Reactions: JMT
Thanks to all for your insights, really helps, open to more suggestions if anyone has them. I had been thinking about a carbon hardtail setup with long travel up front for the techy DH trails but pretty much abandoned that idea after looking at head tube angles more setup for XC and just reading people's experience.
I have ridden hardtails too and if it were me I would definitely go for a non-carbon full suspension all day. The extra weight will be well worth how much more capable the bike is.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
I have ridden hardtails too and if it were me I would definitely go for a non-carbon full suspension all day. The extra weight will be well worth how much more capable the bike is.
Hmmm...that's interesting. "non-carbon". What capability are you referring too? I know I enjoyed the DH portions yesterday on the heavy (34.4lb) 5010, but climbing to get there was not fun. Maybe I just need to suck it up and get strong.

Thanks to all for your insights, really helps, open to more suggestions if anyone has them. I had been thinking about a carbon hardtail setup with long travel up front for the techy DH trails but pretty much abandoned that idea after looking at head tube angles more setup for XC and just reading people's experience.
For what it's worth, I often pick my Orbea Loki 27.5+ hardtail for rocky technical descents, but it's not an XC hardtail by any stretch. It's low and long, and it has tons of grip. That's a little like the rowdy hardtail you're describing.

The rear triangle is super stiff, though, so you take a beating on the chunky stuff. It also takes a lot of English to muscle it through corners, and it's slow on anything flat and straight.

IMAG0159.jpg

Carving it through corners is magical, though.

Reactions: JMT and 02GreenTJ
Diamondback has a good range of slack hardtails with longer forks as well. If you look carefully, there are a few steel frame slack hardtails as well, and combined with a 140 fork and a dropper, you get a pretty versatile bike.

This isn't exactly mountain biking, but today I succumbed to my mid life crisis and I bought a super sweet 22" Verde BMX!. My 7 year old and me found this great little pump track across town that we've been going to every week, then I heard about a proper BMX pump track downtown with races every Fri & Sat so we've been doing that... I've just been on my Specialized hardtail that I use to go everywhere but today I went to the shop for odds and ends and this thing caught my eye. I took it out in the parking lot and started jumping curbs with a huge smile on my face, felt like it was 1993 again. So, I bought it. Told the wife it could be worse, I could be at a Porsche dealership. She asked me if I wanted a Lunchable and some pudding snackpacks.

So rad:

1567287282065.png

This isn't exactly mountain biking, but today I succumbed to my mid life crisis and I bought a super sweet 22" Verde BMX!. My 7 year old and me found this great little pump track across town that we've been going to every week, then I heard about a proper BMX pump track downtown with races every Fri & Sat so we've been doing that... I've just been on my Specialized hardtail that I use to go everywhere but today I went to the shop for odds and ends and this thing caught my eye. I took it out in the parking lot and started jumping curbs with a huge smile on my face, felt like it was 1993 again. So, I bought it. Told the wife it could be worse, I could be at a Porsche dealership. She asked me if I wanted a Lunchable and some pudding snackpacks.

So rad:

View attachment 112369
That is so awesome man! Kudos to you. We have a skatepark and pump track within 1 mile of our house and one of my sons has been eyeing BMX lately. So cool. Way to go. RAD! All you need to do now is get an 80's haircut. Several examples below.

• Haha
Reactions: fuse and qslim
That is so awesome man! Kudos to you. We have a skatepark and pump track within 1 mile of our house and one of my sons has been eyeing BMX lately. So cool. Way to go. RAD! All you need to do now is get an 80's haircut. Several examples below.

Thank you for the examples. I will pass them along to my barber.

I feel like I've rediscovered the fun-factor. I've been biking my whole life, ran BMX in the 90's, then got into MTB racing... Since then I've been mountain biking but it's kind of gotten into a chore. Biking over the last decade + has become utilitarian, just something I use to get outdoors and exercise, like running. Don't get me wrong, the MTB here in Utah is incredible, but ripping around a dirt park on a tight little 41xx frame you can drop off a loading dock is just a blast.

I'm gonna go load up on Capri Suns and shred the skate park.

• Haha
Reactions: fuse and JMT

So rad:

View attachment 112369
Sweet looking ride. I have a 22” FBM Steadfast that I dirt jump with. It’s perfect for the older BMXer. May I suggest lining up your handlebars with the head tube. No need for Chicago style bars on a 22 🤣🤣

Sarkis

• Haha
Reactions: qslim
Sweet looking ride. I have a 22” FBM Steadfast that I dirt jump with. It’s perfect for the older BMXer. May I suggest lining up your handlebars with the head tube. No need for Chicago style bars on a 22 🤣🤣

Sarkis

Lol c'mon man, my album's dropping soon, me & my crew gotta cruise the block and hand out CDs with our flat-brimmed hats.

Yeah I lined her up and went out this morning for a ride w/ the kids.. It's got great balance and fits me well, I promptly ate shit trying to tail hop out of a wheelie over a curb in front of all the Sunday morning playground moms. This thing rules.

H
Lol c'mon man, my album's dropping soon, me & my crew gotta cruise the block and hand out CDs with our flat-brimmed hats.

Yeah I lined her up and went out this morning for a ride w/ the kids.. It's got great balance and fits me well, I promptly ate shit trying to tail hop out of a wheelie over a curb in front of all the Sunday morning playground moms. This thing rules.
Hell yeah 🤣🤣

@JMT Sorry I missed this. I haven't been on much as of late. Been studying up on motorhomes (like the old GMC motorhome from the 70's). I don't like full suspension rigs. We don't have enough downhills here to make it worth the effort of making them climb and all the effort that gets wasted compressing the suspension each time you pedal.

IMHO, I think the best combo of XC/Trail you can get is going to be a long, slack Hardtail with big tires. 27.5 x 2.8 min, 140mm fork, short chainstays. The slackness (like a 67° headangle) contributes to stability, short chainstays give it some "pop" and the hardtail means it pedals efficiently. I'm targeting sub 30 lbs (around 26 or 27) for my ROS9 build. Buddy of mine just picked up a Pipedream Moxie, which is REALLY slack (64° I think) and REALLY long. Should be incredible downhill, but it might be a little bit of a handful in the quick twistys (think slaloming between trees).

Check out the nukeproof scout if you want a fully assembled bike. Its pretty well set up. There was also a Niner ROS9 used on Ebay a week or so ago for 1500 bucks.

@Mike_H, here’s where I ended up on my new bike. Intense Sniper Trail Build. 120/120, climbs great, descends better, coming in about 28lbs all setup. Bike is fast...
CAEBC643-5194-4560-9ED9-5D794984C409.jpeg

I added a cross brace to the spot missing one below, firmed the rear up
6C4AAFBF-6C58-4C27-8E87-F9695BE45D17.jpeg

Came with a very nice in/lb torque wrench set and a decent shock pump.
A6102FBA-E935-4B1C-AF67-600EF8F7FBF4.jpeg

• Haha
Piano is just another tool! All kidding aside, we just moved in, no room for the piano, we are taking it to a new home soon. I can't wait to get it out of my garage. That is my wife's Specialized Dolce hanging out above.

@Mike_H, here’s where I ended up on my new bike. Intense Sniper Trail Build. 120/120, climbs great, descends better, coming in about 28lbs all setup. Bike is fast...
View attachment 117593
I added a cross brace to the spot missing one below, firmed the rear up
View attachment 117594
Came with a very nice in/lb torque wrench set and a decent shock pump.
View attachment 117595
Awesome! Looks like a great bike. My next build is stalled a bit. My wife started asking questions...and very quickly decided that her and I have VERY different ideas about what level of components I should buy for this build LOL. I see you have Raceface wheels. You like them? I purchased some Raceface ARC 40's for my build. Still waiting to score some Hope Pro4 hubs at a good price.

All seriousness though, we just bought a motorhome so our money is being directed to that for the next few months while we bring it around to trustworthy.

her and I have VERY different ideas about what level of components I should buy for this build
🤣. What's new? Jeeps, Bikes, Motorcycles, Boats, etc...always a different idea.

Although, on this bike, my wife said $2000 tops, then she found out about Carbon and she said "Get it! Whatever it takes." I think she's tired of me getting beat up on bikes, wants me to have FS, more slack HT angle, this should do it. So far so good...

So far I like the RaceFace wheels but I will upgrade to these sometime in the future.

https://www.ridefastracing.com/products/livewire-27-5
Show me your next build with those components when you get there...enjoy the MHome! And if you read that hilarious thread put up by mrblaine, don't get out and forget where you parked it.

Did a little Christmas shopping for myself this week (Christmas bonus came in) and ordered the rest of the parts for my Niner build.

Eagle drivetrain, 175 mm dropper, 140 mm fork, Magura brakes, 27.5+ tires (3.0 frt and 2.8 rear). In theory, it should be less than 26 lbs. Its heavy for an XC bike, but not for an AM or Trail bike. I have a sheet of the build if anyone is interested. Send me a PM with your email and I can share the Google doc. It's definitely more expensive to build vs buy a complete bike...

Reactions: fuse and JMT