Morryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I ended up buying. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Always wonder what’d be like to ride with my spare on the back and if I dont like it, I’ll just sell it.

I no longer have the oem tire carrier, so question is, what have owners used to mount a 35”?

I use the OEM carrier. The MORryde kit comes with a couple of z brackets to mount between the carrier and the tailgate reinforcement plate, that moves the carrier out and up, to keep the larger tire out of the bumper. I run 5.25" BS wheels with adapters, but no adapter on the spare so it sits as tight against the gate as it can...tight enough that the hinges act as extra snubbers.

I use the OEM carrier. The MORryde kit comes with a couple of z brackets to mount between the carrier and the tailgate reinforcement plate, that moves the carrier out and up, to keep the larger tire out of the bumper. I run 5.25" BS wheels with adapters, but no adapter on the spare so it sits as tight against the gate as it can...tight enough that the hinges act as extra snubbers.
Same here! I run ravines with 35x12.50s, z brackets that come with morryde kit and it's nice and tight now.

I had issues with the tire moving around too much with an aftermarket mount that pushed the tire out further.

Well At 249.00, I guess my wallet will be a little lighter.
Not that I'm a fan, but has anyone run the Rugged Ridge Tire mount with this?
In the scope of Jeep upgrades, this is one of the lower cost items! Cheaper than one tire! 😲

They've been back at $249 since yesterday morning and looks like Amazon has plenty in stock.

Reactions: Chris
I wouldn't run it after the redesign happened to it. The original one was meh and you could get it snug against the tailgate, but then they wanted it to be useable for up to a 37" tire, wheels with mega backspacing, and have the fast back style tilt to it. I fought it and said it wasn't a good idea but had just started working for them at the time so I let it ride. Turned out like shit and the internet hated it lol. Guess I was right?

I wouldn't run it after the redesign happened to it. The original one was meh and you could get it snug against the tailgate, but then they wanted it to be useable for up to a 37" tire, wheels with mega backspacing, and have the fast back style tilt to it. I fought it and said it wasn't a good idea but had just started working for them at the time so I let it ride. Turned out like shit and the internet hated it lol. Guess I was right?

How in the world does the lower snubber work with a fastback tilt? Or do they just abandon it and let a 37 bounce the tailgate to death?

How in the world does the lower snubber work with a fastback tilt? Or do they just abandon it and let a 37 bounce the tailgate to death?
lmao it doesn't even come close which was a glaring flaw in the concept. Hence why I didn't want to do it. Unfortunately being fresh out of school and like my second project at the company my opinion didn't carry much weight at the time.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
It also seems like oem carriers can only be found on eBay, FB or maybe Craigslist. Ones on eBay are around $70

I have and removed it to put the stock carrier back on. With the stock ravines and 35x12.50 I though it would work better with the 5.5" backspacing. It required to much spacing of the tire snubbers to work. If you have a wheel with lower backspacing it would be even worse. I was using the z brackets that come with the morryde kit though. Unless you modify the morryde tailgate reinforcement you have to use those z brackets to run the rugged ridge tire mount. I had the old style flat rugged ridge mount.

Just ordered one about an hour ago. It was a part I already had on my list to buy, and I figured I wouldn't beat the price.

Reactions: Jamesval035
Yep.... looks legit. God damn Amazon with their surprise one day shipping.
20220212_195933.jpg
20220212_195945.jpg
20220212_200450.jpg

just to confirm with every one. I did install mine already and it had everything included. Only thing is I don't know if I ruined my third brake light by attaching the cables incorrectly at the tailgate. havent had time to troubleshoot but might take it off.

From what I've seen the RR pushes the tire away from the tailgate too much. The tire mounting surface has an 11" or 12" offset from the tailgate. Something like the Hyline mount has the same offset as factory at ~7".

Do we need to put anything between the metal and the paint? For some reason, maybe because I live in Connecticut, but metal on metal doesn’t feel right. I’m going to throw a solid coat of wax first, but anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.