MORryde vs Exogate

Looks like I'll have to do some serious trimming. Either that or figure out a different way to mount my tire.

Blaine had mentioned at one point that he ran a 35" tire for years and years on the stock tailgate and never had any issues with the hinges or anything. He had said that the reason people have issues isn't the hinges or the tailgate, it's the aftermarket tire not being pushed close enough to the snubbers, and therefore being rattled around when going over rough terrain, which causes the hinges to wear.
Not quite, you left a key point from Blaine's setup out. By itself, even with snubbers, the OE spare tire mount system including the OE hinges is not up to the weight of a 35" tire. My OE mount cracked and failed something like a month after installing a 33" spare tire onto it.

This is how Blaine's OE spare tire mount is able to support a 35" tire. This isn't a photo of his actual Jeep but it shows his method which takes most of the weight of the spare tire off of the tailgate.

spare_tire-holder-2.jpg
Spare-tire-holder-1.jpg

Thanks @Jerry Bransford and @Serbonze, that makes a lot more sense. I can see how that would support the weight of the spare tire considerably.

One question though, does that piece have to be removed anytime you open or close the tailgate?

All this does is make me yearn for an OR-Fab tire carrier even more!

Do you have corner armor? You can use the hinges and roll bar bracket minus the outer plate, so long as the armor is same thickness, or hinges are shimmed so corner armor matches the tail gate plate.

No corner armor, otherwise I completely get what you’re saying. I may just be forced to get rid of the Savvy taillights in this case. Either that or do a lot of trimming, which I’m not sure if all that trimming will decrease the strength of the Exogate.

Thanks @Jerry Bransford and @Serbonze, that makes a lot more sense. I can see how that would support the weight of the spare tire considerably.

One question though, does that piece have to be removed anytime you open or close the tailgate?
No, just lift up on the spare a little when opening or closing it.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
There are several mentions in this thread of a forum discount from Extreme Terrain.
Would someone please tell me where to find information on this code?
Thank you.

There are several mentions in this thread of a forum discount from Extreme Terrain.
Would someone please tell me where to find information on this code?
Thank you.

You just have to contact them and they'll give you one (I think it's one time use). They respond fast during business hours.

Just curious why is finding smaller taillights not something you’re thinking about?

I may have no choice but to do that. I just like how the Savvy taillights sit flush with the body, they look sleek. But in this case, it's function over form. I need that Exogate if I'm going to run this 35" spare.

Now don’t go using the high price name when you’re waiting for the low price product to return to stock... Tsk tsk

Haha, same exact product :p

One of them is just charging a lot more and calling it something different apparently.

All this does is make me yearn for an OR-Fab tire carrier even more!

I made mine adjustable so I could loose or tighten that bolt as needed (that's why the little handles are welded to the bolt) to adjust for different sized tires and to make it easy for my wife to just loosen it instead of pulling up a bit instead of lifting. There is a thick washer welded to the top of that bolt that you can't see as well.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Well, I ordered the MORryde / Exogate. We'll see how long it takes to get here now!

Do you have plan on the install, like cutting the backing plate, finding new taillights or even trying to install the taillights over the backing plate?

I do not think you will regret this purchase, especially if you have 35"s. It's lightweight, does its job and looks good.