Motor Knock

Chappys4life

Looks like the motor in my 99 wrangler 4.0 auto is on its way out. It has the fun rod knock.

I’m debating replacing the motor. Any ideal sources to get a replacement? I don’t know a rebuild shop I trust to do the rebuild.

I go against the norm around here, and say get it built locally. These motors are not in the least bit sophisticated or complicated. Hit a couple 'Cars and Coffee' get togethers around your town and ask people about engine builders. The ones you see mentioned frequently are most likely good to go.
I just like being able to talk to the actual person who did my work, as opposed to 'Peggy in customer service.
But just remember:
Cheap
Fast
Right
Pick any two.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
I go against the norm around here, and say get it built locally. These motors are not in the least bit sophisticated or complicated. Hit a couple 'Cars and Coffee' get togethers around your town and ask people about engine builders. The ones you see mentioned frequently are most likely good to go.
I just like being able to talk to the actual person who did my work, as opposed to 'Peggy in customer service.
But just remember:
Cheap
Fast
Right
Pick any two.
Support your local mechanic for big items you are not comfortable doing. You need them and they need you. Find a good one and be loyal.

Support your local mechanic for big items you are not comfortable doing. You need them and they need you. Find a good one and be loyal.
Well said Steve , a good shop will be thinking 2 things when they recommend an engine supplier ...will this likely give us problems and will they support us if it doesn’t .

No sane business owner wants more problems or to be out of pocket unnecassarily.

A good shop will do that and work out any kinks in a week.

Here is what I look for in a shop-

No unfixed cars piled around

A good reputation

A clean well lit shop

And I want one that knows my type of vehicle .

I expect to pay t some money up front on a major job , and deal with people other pros recommend.

I got my replacement 4.0 (refurbished) from LKQ for around $1800 for the long block.

Give them a call. They don't list them on their website, but they sell all sorts of refurbished engines. Mine even came with a 30k mile warranty I believe it was.

Been going thru this the last month or so. I decided it's my toy, I bought to tinker with, so I was going to be involved. Hoping to pick up the short block from American Machine today. Then reassembly begins!

Reactions: Chappys4life
My biggest concern with local is not knowing a place is good.

The shop I took it too recommended a new ATK engine. I will call another local Jeep shop that has a good reputation and see what they say.

Reactions: Chris
Been going thru this the last month or so. I decided it's my toy, I bought to tinker with, so I was going to be involved. Hoping to pick up the short block from American Machine today. Then reassembly begins!

I feel the same way. This is my 3rd vehicle and more toy than needed driver. I also have a land cruiser if I want to go off-roading with friends. I’m in a apartment now but moving to a rental house in September. Probably park it while I gather parts and save up then put the garage to work and swap it myself

Reactions: Airjunky
Have you diagnosed the knock? What are the symptoms? When does it make the noise?
I personally prefer to have engine work done by local machine shops. Have not heard great things from the big rebuild companies.

I took it to a Jeep shop. I was having them do a replacement header as it’s cracked. When at a higher rpm you can hear a knock. I thought it was maybe the top end or the exhaust being shot.

Looks like the motor in my 99 wrangler 4.0 auto is on its way out. It has the fun rod knock.

I’m debating replacing the motor. Any ideal sources to get a replacement? I don’t know a rebuild shop I trust to do the rebuild.

Just had to replace my engine this year in my 2000 TJ. I searched around and stopped at auto repair shops around San Diego and found a mechanic willing to earn some money on the side who did all the work in about 3 1/2 weeks. Good luck, it was wonderful getting my Jeep back and it drives incredibly well.

Last edited: