Motor mount issue

BradD

Hey guys I starting having an issue out of nowhere. When I put the Jeep in reverse and accelerate the fan contacts the shroud on the bottom and makes a terrible sound.
I have a body lift with the brown dog MML. When I looked at the passenger side MM it doesn’t look right. Any ideas what the problem is and where I go from here?

B8CB3039-FC86-4191-8981-F12BF6C7C6B2.jpeg

C4368F10-6BA3-4A68-A374-70E756B5F985.jpeg

Bolt somewhat looks like it is torqued too far in.

It is supposed to be snug but not so tight you couldn't spin a washer.

BUT... not sure that is the problem.

Do you have a BL also? Otherwise, was your fan shroud slightly relocated?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54 and phacor8
Bolt somewhat looks like it is torqued to far in.

It is supposed to be snug but not so tight you couldn't spin a washer.
Yeah I definitely didn’t tighten it down a lot. I just went til it was snug then stopped, if anything I was worried it was too loose but followed the directions.

So you did the install?

Did you raise the fan shroud? Drill some new holes? Add a bl?

My understanding... when you raise the motor an inch.. you now need to relocate the fan shroud.. otherwise the fan will hit.

That was true in my case.

Yeah I did the install. 1 1/4 body lift and the MML. I don’t think relocating the shroud is necessary if you do the BL and MML

Yeah I did the install. 1 1/4 body lift and the MML. I don’t think relocating the shroud is necessary if you do the BL and MML

Ya.. it shouldnt be necessary.

Btw.. just re-read your original post.. and saw you mentioned the bl.

Im kinda outta ideas atm.. but is the motor mount secured to the bracket/frame... The vertical studs?

Maybe it is loose.. and lifts when the engine torques in reverse.

Ok so I am updating in case it helps someone else. Go check your engine bracket motor mount bolts. All my bolts had broken off. Had to use an extractor to remove them. Should I stick with the factory brackets or look for something better? Any recommendations?

539C3EBE-A9AF-48C4-8293-B4A723AA01FB.jpeg

80654EE5-146F-4F46-BF12-5D687F98F8EE.jpeg

EB25EBAA-3DEE-4E05-96AA-3C1AF5166D98.jpeg

4E633D80-6A2B-4B2D-90FD-A141575B46D6.jpeg

3AE1D4AA-E411-49AD-91E3-5C24EE45BDDC.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and Fonz54
Ouch. Semi common problem especially on a rig that has been in a front end impact, but not necessarily limited to them.

I’d contact stinky fab racing for some of their engine brackets. They are the cheapest and better than brown dog in my experience. They will grab 7-8 holes per side of the engine and make your incident never happen again.

Their motor mounts are good too, although they need a MML spacer to be lifted, so maybe skip those.

Reactions: Moglocker
If the block is fine you're good to go. Just get new bolts and use loctite. Generally the stock mounts with spacers are the best option for this sort of deal, they allow much more room for things to move around and not break. You probably just had bolts come loose but honestly those brown dog mounts aren't doing you any favors. Personally I'd sell the brown dogs, get spacers and factory mounts and move on but any of the other suggestions people have will work too. Just seems kinda stupid to have to upgrade the block mounts because you upgraded the frame side mount when nothing needed upgrading in the first place.

Reactions: JMT
If the block is fine you're good to go. Just get new bolts and use loctite. Generally the stock mounts with spacers are the best option for this sort of deal, they allow much more room for things to move around and not break. You probably just had bolts come loose but honestly those brown dog mounts aren't doing you any favors. Personally I'd sell the brown dogs, get spacers and factory mounts and move on but any of the other suggestions people have will work too. Just seems kinda stupid to have to upgrade the block mounts because you upgraded the frame side mount when nothing needed upgrading in the first place.
That’s interesting I hadn’t heard about any issue with the brown dog mounts. What about them causes problems?

I didn’t have to relocate anything when I did a full t/t,wow I’ll have to check my bolts now.how long did this take to happen?

Last edited:
That’s interesting I hadn’t heard about any issue with the brown dog mounts. What about them causes problems?
I don’t think brown dogs caused that issue. Bolts not being torqued properly and front end collisions seem to be the typical cause of the bracket bolt issues.

Reactions: Sancho
Ouch. Semi common problem especially on a rig that has been in a front end impact, but not necessarily limited to them.

I’d contact stinky fab racing for some of their engine brackets. They are the cheapest and better than brown dog in my experience. They will grab 7-8 holes per side of the engine and make your incident never happen again.

Their motor mounts are good too, although they need a MML spacer to be lifted, so maybe skip those.
So I can run the stinky fab with the brown dog mounts? No issues with fitment?

I didn’t have to relocate anything when I did a full t/t,wow I’ll have to check my bolts now.how long did this take to happen?
The issue started pulling the Jeep behind our motor home to go camping about 30 miles. I’m assuming I was down to 1 bolt when we got there because that’s when the fan issue started. We pulled it back this morning and the motor had broken loose on the driver side by the time I made it home. Who knows how long the bolts were working their way loose though

I don’t think brown dogs caused that issue. Bolts not being torqued properly and front end collisions seem to be the typical cause of the bracket bolt issues.
Definitely an issue with being not torqued then, never any kind of a collision. I pull it behind my class A so it probably gets some pretty hard bumps back there. Im thinking that might have been a contributing factor

Definitely an issue with being not torqued then, never any kind of a collision. I pull it behind my class A so it probably gets some pretty hard bumps back there. Im thinking that might have been a contributing factor
certainly could be. No telling what caused it. It’s just a good thing your engine bosses didn’t break and that you were also able to pull the bolts.

And as for the SFR brackets and brown dog mounts, it’ll be fine. They’re all built to the same fitment spec. You can run any mount, stock or aftermarket, with any bracket, stock or aftermarket.

Reactions: Sancho
I don’t see how pulling it behind an rv would do anything,I’ll have to check mine,I should have just went with the blocks,it vibrates a lot at idle now

@BradD, the Brown Dog MML’s often transfer more vibrations, which is why many just use factory mounts with spacers. Sometimes the shroud still needs adjustment after both a mml and BL. Just get new, grade 8 bolts, blue loctite, tighten to spec.