MountaineerTom's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Now, if I can just find my workbench under all of the accumulated junk . . .

Same here, and I've been in a mood to just load up the trash can lately. :LOL:

What else are you expecting to replace while you're in there? I have a SYE and Terra 2low to install, so I figure I'm going through most of it, but I'm not sure what to expect to replace when I do the job (chain, pump, bearings, etc.)

That's the one I have sitting in a pile of parts-to-be-installed. Now that you have adjustable control arms, I assume that'll be your next step. Are you planning to pull the case out or do it in vehicle?

I plan to remove the transfer case. the only thing I’m sure I’ll do while I’m in there is replace the front driveshaft output seal. I’ll evaluate the rest and go from there, I guess. Thought about changing the chain, but to my knowledge, I have to issues with the transfer case.

I’ve got to figure out the exhaust hitting the front upper control arm mount first. I wasn’t expecting that with the Extra Clearance skid. I thought that was only an issue with the Ultra Clearance skid.

Reactions: BlueC
I looked at mine, and it looks like the exhaust might hit that UCA mount when I remove the 1/2" skid spacers. I hadn't noticed that before. But I plan to cut the tranny exhaust hanger to lower the cat, because otherwise it's going to be almost touching the insulation under the tub. My wife already doesn't like the hot floor on long trips. That should fix the UCA contact too (I hope).

I’ve got to figure out the exhaust hitting the front upper control arm mount first.

Well, if it's contacting hard, and you need just a little clearance, there's the option to whack it with a BFH. That won't hurt the pipe or flow, but it also might not be the route you like. If it's just making enough contact to rattling, there's the option of wrapping that section with exhaust wrap. I'm not one to promote rigging, but sometimes the simplest solution is right. Just a thought.

I looked at mine, and it looks like the exhaust might hit that UCA mount when I remove the 1/2" skid spacers. I hadn't noticed that before. But I plan to cut the tranny exhaust hanger to lower the cat, because otherwise it's going to be almost touching the insulation under the tub. My wife already doesn't like the hot floor on long trips. That should fix the UCA contact too (I hope).

I saw in the instructions for UCF’s lo-pro transmission mount that it say when using it with the ultra clearance skid to cut the exhaust hanger between the two holes that are in it, enlarge the hose so there’s adjustment room, the overlap them and bolt it back together. It essentially lowers the exhaust and inch or so from my memory. I wonder if that might work with the factory transmission mount and the extra clearance skid I’m using?

I have a lo-pro mount that I also bought unused from a member here. Debating trying that, but it says right in their instruction that you should expect to have some vibrations when using it.

I have a lo-pro mount that I also bought unused from a member here. Debating trying that, but it says right in their instruction that you should expect to have some vibrations when using it.

Is it a ridgid mount?

Is it a ridgid mount?

Almost. a thin rubber pad between two plates and some rubber bushings at the pivot point.

https://undercoverfab.com/body-and-power-train-mounting/20-ucf-lopro-03-06-tj-lj-trans-mount-.html

C5D860C3-9521-4B9F-BCAA-11A1D8A18046.jpeg

I drove it to work today and the exhaust pipe moved over and was hitting the passengers side rear front upper control arm mount bracket again.

@OldBuzzard and @Jamison C, did y’all have this problem? I didn’t think there were any issues with exhaust and the UCF Extra Clearance Skid? It’s the original exhaust as far as I know.

This weekend I’ll see if there is some play in the skid that will let me move it towards the drivers side some. I didn’t hear this noise after the initial installation, only after removing the skid to trim the front lip down so it wasn’t so close to the
transmission pan. It must be in a different position than it was on the initial installation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 389261

I have the same issue with mine. UCF extra clearance skid, exhaust contacts the front upper passenger side control arm mount. I'll be interested to see how you solve it and if it really is as simple as moving the skid slightly to the driver side.

I saw in the instructions for UCF’s lo-pro transmission mount that it say when using it with the ultra clearance skid to cut the exhaust hanger between the two holes that are in it, enlarge the hose so there’s adjustment room, the overlap them and bolt it back together. It essentially lowers the exhaust and inch or so from my memory. I wonder if that might work with the factory transmission mount and the extra clearance skid I’m using?

I think that's describing this mod by Farmergreg. That's what I've been planning to do.

I've read a lot of complaints about the LoPro vibes. I'm sticking with the OEM mount. A little extra TC height shouldn't hurt, once we have our SYEs in place. I don't see much of an advantage with the LoPro, especially on an LJ. Sorry, lots of TLAs in this post. :)

This is what I did but it ended up pushing it into the front DS. Dropping it in the middle but leaving the rear hangars in place essentially makes the front swivel “up”. It’s kind of hard to describe unless you’re looking at it.

I've read a lot of complaints about the LoPro vibes. I'm sticking with the OEM mount. A little extra TC height shouldn't hurt, once we have our SYEs in place. I don't see much of an advantage with the LoPro, especially on an LJ. Sorry, lots of TLAs in this post. :)
I had to look up TLA’s. 🤣

This is what I did but it ended up pushing it into the front DS. Dropping it in the middle but leaving the rear hangars in place essentially makes the front swivel “up”. It’s kind of hard to describe unless you’re looking at it.

With the lo-pro mount or the OEM mount? You may have said, I just can’t remember.

I‘m off the next three days but I’m definitely not doing anything with it tomorrow. My back has been killing me the last couple days so I think tomorrow will be heating pads, ice packs and watching TV. Hopefully I‘ll feel like tinkering with it Saturday or Sunday. It sucks getting older. 😕

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Great set of pics. Took my TJLJ to outer banks last summer
question...my tranny registered as overheating c ode from sand driving, any issue for you

No, I never had any. The first time or two I didn't have a temp gauge or auxiliary cooler. After installing a gauge and a B&M cooler in-line with the OEM cooler in the radiator, the highest temps I seen was 180-ish degrees.

Great set of pics. Took my TJLJ to outer banks last summer
question...my tranny registered as overheating c ode from sand driving, any issue for you

Did you deflate the tires and keep it in first or low range? If not, you were probably lugging the engine, causing undue stress and heat. Driving in our sand is kind of like driving up hill in snow.

On a side note, I love watching the half drunk guys with low profile tires in the sand. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman