Mounting safety equipment

CaliSteve

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Am preparing to go on a run with a jeep and one requirement is to have a fire extinguisher mounted in the vehicle. Been looking to mount it on the roll bar at the rear door. What the most secure mounts some of you may have used? They also require a first aid kit but that's an easy one.

I think Jerry has his mounted to the front of his seat at the floor. I also seem to remember it is a larger bottle than what you usually see.

Mine are installed on the front of the seat, use to be on the side between the panel and the seat which is not a bad location either. The idea is to get hold of it quick as you can and have it accessible all the time. I run a 5 Lbs one too, kind of scare not to have enough in case of need it.

If found some Pics will edit with them.

Here is mine:

IMG-0217.JPG
IMG-0078.JPG

I used to use some zip ties and figured it was fine since I have a knife on the roll bar beside it. But the a friend had an accident and his zip tied extinguisher went flying past his head. It's worth getting a good mount.

I now use one of these https://www.tmrcustoms.com/ca/rapid-release-fire-extinguisher-mounts-zinc-coated

And have it on the driver side c pillar of the cage with a largeish extinguisher in it. I plan on putting a second between the seats on the sound bar soon.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
What do you guys do with it if you riding topless?....I'd fear people swiping it?...do you hide it or just leave it where it is?

Reactions: ac_
my jeep has been topless since November. for the holidays my daughter got me the smittybilt one. it is velcro'd to the rear driver's side down tube and it sits a little on the inner fender. mine has been there since new years and all it has is a simple drawstring

IMG_0070 (1).JPG

I have one in a standard wall mount on the floor in front of my seat a la Jerry style. It works great other than sometimes I kick the latch on my way in or out of the jeep and it opens. No biggie though, just latch it back and on your way.

I have one in a standard wall mount on the floor in front of my seat a la Jerry style. It works great other than sometimes I kick the latch on my way in or out of the jeep and it opens. No biggie though, just latch it back and on your way.
I have the 5lb Jerry-style with the same big spring clip attached to the front of the seat. No latch to kick open.

I know that most of what we do to our rides falls within the category of personal preference, so I offer this. For me it is a matter of accessibility in an emergency, nearly all of the bar mounted versions are difficult to get to and may be impossible to reach depending on how you are packed for your trip.

I'm sure Jerry's mount is the best, unless you have the Tuffy box. Which seemed like a very good idea, so I went with that before I figured the fire extinguisher mount. This is what I came up with. I'll have to figure something else to get a 5lb in. Maybe another 2 1/2 instead. You can't access the extinguisher with the door closed, but it's super accessible on opening the driver door. Driver seat works fine, no interference getting in and out. It's in a clip mount. Very secure. Adjusted for tension. Thoughts?
fire ex.jpg

I use one of these on both the driver and passenger side rear rollbars.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AOEAHC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have two of the same fire extinguisher holders, one on the roll bar near the tailgate and the other on the roll bar directly behind the drivers seat. There is a 3# A,B,C fire extinguisher in each one.

The rationale for two 3# fire extinguishers is: (1) to have quick and easy access to an extinguisher both from the driver's seat and also from the rear of the jeep closer to where a camp stove is likely to be set up; and (2) to still have a full, unused extinguisher if one 3# extinguisher is sufficient rather than unnecessarily empty a larger bottle in a single incident.

As for first aid, I have a kit in a Pelican case kept in the footwell directly behind the driver's seat.