My 2004 Jeep Rubicon isn't wired for a hardtop, wiper & defrost

dan lee

TJ Addiction
Supporting Member
My jeep came from the factory with a soft top according to my build sheet. It was never wired for a rear wiper or defrost. I would like to add the switches and wiring harness since the previous owner install a hard top. Is there any good links out there on how to do this? Can I purchase the harness that runs to the rear? Not seeing anything online. I could make up my own, just need a wiring diagram

Thanks

Thanks!
Man this looks like a lot of work, I am wondering if I can just run wiring just for the wiper motor, not the pump or defrost
If you’re good with wiring, it shouldn’t be hard to figure out I would assume.

Reactions: CodaMan
My LJ is the same. Have hardtop, will travel. With big ass spare tire hogging the window, I don’t see the point.

I am on the same boat here, I have the harnesses now, but i seriously dont feel like replacing the whole thing, if napa use to sell the hardtop additions, then it should be doable. Anyone out there with that info? @Jamison C

I am on the same boat here, I have the harnesses now, but i seriously dont feel like replacing the whole thing, if napa use to sell the hardtop additions, then it should be doable. Anyone out there with that info? @Jamison C
You could always de pin the wiring you need from your donor harnesses, but there are grounds and illumination wiring that are spliced into the harnesses in certain spots. You’d need to make note of that and make sure you’re adding wiring to the right places.

You could always de pin the wiring you need from your donor harnesses, but there are grounds and illumination wiring that are spliced into the harnesses in certain spots. You’d need to make note of that and make sure you’re adding wiring to the right places.
The only forum member to use the word "depin".

Boss Level.

This is the Mopart part I was referring to:

WIRING PACKAGE. Enclosure. Part Number: 82207078AB

1613405399722.png

Thanks!
Man this looks like a lot of work, I am wondering if I can just run wiring just for the wiper motor, not the pump or defrost
Yes, it's possible. I have a DIY harness almost complete, and a factory kit (from Ebay). Haven't tried installing either one yet.
Even if you do run your own wires, you'll probably want a plug that attaches to the hardtop. IIRC, you can use a power seat plug from a dodge Dakota.
You can usually find the factory switches on ebay too.