My identity was stolen this morning

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to let you know I was Identity Thefted this morning. Someone in Maine applied for a credit card fraudulently through Navy Fed Credit Union.

I've called all my banks and checked, they were all ok aside from Navy Fed. I've changed a lot of passwords but I wanted to let you know to keep an eye out for anything goofy coming from my account on here. I've also changed my password on here, but never hurts to give you a heads up.

Hopefully this is nothing you need to worry about. lol

Regarding passwords, everyone should consider using a password manager anymore so it’s not as difficult to use a unique and non-guessable password per login. However to do so, you need a very strong “master password” for the vault.

In the tech world both LastPass and 1Password are pretty well recommended. You can also sign up for alerts of known breeches to get some awareness of exposure - however there is a decent lag/delay before these are often published.

sorry to hear about your issue, hopefully it’s not hard to get ahead of!

Regarding passwords, everyone should consider using a password manager anymore so it’s not as difficult to use a unique and non-guessable password per login. However to do so, you need a very strong “master password” for the vault.

In the tech world both LastPass and 1Password are pretty well recommended. You can also sign up for alerts of known breeches to get some awareness of exposure - however there is a decent lag/delay before these are often published.

sorry to hear about your issue, hopefully it’s not hard to get ahead of!
Well, the thing that has me posting on my forums I frequent is that MalwareBytes is giving me a malware notification for the LastPass through chrome.exe about once/min outbound. So I wasn't sure if it was a false positive or if my LastPass had been hacked.

I've since changed up my LastPass master vault password, uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, uninstalled and reinstalled LastPass.

Hopefully this isn't something we need to worry about but I wanted to get ahead of it if something strange came to folks on here from "me".

Well, the thing that has me posting on my forums I frequent is that MalwareBytes is giving me a malware notification for the LastPass through chrome.exe about once/min outbound. So I wasn't sure if it was a false positive or if my LastPass had been hacked.

I've since changed up my LastPass master vault password, uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, uninstalled and reinstalled LastPass.

Hopefully this isn't something we need to worry about but I wanted to get ahead of it if something strange came to folks on here from "me".

There was a known exploit of the browser extensions at one point. I didn’t install the browser extension prior just assuming that though :/.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
There was a known exploit of the browser extensions at one point. I didn’t install the browser extension prior just assuming that though :/.
Well shit - I didn't know about that. Sounds like I need to uninstall LastPass with the Chrome extension then. Damn - I really liked it, made forums and the like really simple.

Thanks for that heads-up!

Damn, that's not good news.

I've never had my identity stolen, but I've had my credit card info stolen more times than I can count. Each time I always found fraudulent charges on my card.

The good thing is that I check my bank account daily, so I catch these things right away.

That sucks, hopefully you can get it all taken care of easily.

Ive had my credit card info stolen before. Its not fun. Last time it happened I was on my way home to see my folks, the bank called and said they cancelled my card due to some fraudulent activity. I was without money or cash the entire trip until I could get a new card sent. I use an app vault for my passwords, its been a huge help to keep things organized and remembering difficult passwords

Happened to me 2 years ago. I immediately did the norm; called and stopped cards, changed passwords, etc. The one thing I also did was contact all 3 credit bureaus and put a credit freeze on all 3 and I haven't had an issue since. Its free to freeze your credit, easy to unfreeze, etc. Maybe something worth checking out. This is more for people trying to open new accounts with your info etc.

Reactions: CybrSlydr and Chris