My Jeep and I

sloan

This is a story of pure joy, anguish and resolution.

The Joy

I bought my first Jeep (1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ) about 2 months ago. I've never owned a Jeep before but have always wanted one. It just never seemed logical to go after as a single mom with 3 kids. Well kids are all grown and having kids of their own now. The opportunity presented itself and I jumped when my friend offered to sell his Jeep to me. I've own many a beaters in my days but never have screamed with excitement the first time I drove away in it.

My enthusiasm for my Jeep was obvious. I had several projects in the works to fix a few minor issues, build a storage rack for hard top, and a winch to lift the top. My husband was supportive of what ever I wanted to do as long as it didn't require too much time or money.

There were a few issues immediately after buying my Jeep. It sat for almost a year before I owned it. My son (a mechanic) and his friend (go to Jeep guy) both looked it over before I bought it and said it was a solid purchase.

The Anguish

Driving home after a few errands the check engine light comes on and it begins to stall as if it's not getting enough fuel. I barely make it home just as it dies. Drove it to work the next day and no stalling seemed fine. Heard a very faint knocking and parked it and called my son to take a look. He came over and first thought upon hearing it was a spun bearing. Disconnected exhaust, removed starter, drained oil and lowered oil pan. Soooo much fuel in oil and oil is black when just 2 months ago it was gold. Panic ensues. Pacing. Reassurance it's going to be ok. NOOOO not my baby! Almost in tears by this point. I'm a woman.. it's what we do.

Changed the oil and put it all back together. Compression test is needed. Either way... it's not looking good. On start up knocking is down to a tick. I have to stay vigilant about checking oil and changing it immediately if it smells like fuel and very black. My son says "sell it". I haven't even put 500 miles on it. My husband says "do what you want". My son then says either rebuild or replace motor and if replacing replace with 6cyl.

The Resolution

I'm not ready to give up on my Jeep. I'm keeping it. I'm going to nurse this engine until I can find a 6cyl and rebuild it and swap out engines. It's been a decade or more since I've rebuilt a motor but with my son's help I know I can do it. It's going to take time and money and most likely a few busted knuckles and choice words. I can do it!

And to my chauvinist neighbor...."you can kindly fuck off today and next sunday for assuming it's my husbands jeep or his problem. This isn't 1930. I have a job. I make my own money. I have my own tools and can work on my own vehicle. In fact.. I prefer it. So next time you want to borrow my wrenches you can return them to me and thank me. You insignificant insecure man child!"

So that's it. It's going to be a pain in the ass. It won't be easy but anything you truly enjoy very seldom is.

I'll be looking to you fine folks for your collected wealth of knowledge and experience.

Thank you much!

Congrats on joining the Jeeplife and entering the fray. Haaa- If the frame and body aren't rusting / are in good shape, then build it up, ride it for life [emoji1605]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sloan
Congrats on joining the Jeeplife and entering the fray. Haaa- If the frame and body aren't rusting / are in good shape, then build it up, ride it for life [emoji1605]

Thank you! One small rust spot on fender but can be replaced. Frame looks good. Riding for life or as long as I can is the plan. I haven't even gotten to really have fun with it yet.

Congratulations on the Jeep acquisition, and how it looks like you plan to get the most out of it, good for you.

Question, though - there's more than a few on here that are pretty satisfied with their 4-banger TJs...is rebuilding your current engine not an option, or are you set on replacing it with a 4.0L?

Congratulations on the Jeep acquisition, and how it looks like you plan to get the most out of it, good for you.

Question, though - there's more than a few on here that are pretty satisfied with their 4-banger TJs...is rebuilding your current engine not an option, or are you set on replacing it with a 4.0L?
I could rebuild it but I've been told a couple of times that the 2.5l are notorious for spun bearings. I don't pretend to know a lot about jeeps so when a long time jeep guy tells me to go to a 4.0L, I listen. I'm decent with a wrench just need the right guidance. I'm still waiting for more feed back from my son and the jeep guy. Holiday weekend makes that hard to do. I'm definitely open to all options that doesn't involve trading it in for a mini van :emoji_rolling_eyes:

The spun bearings thing is a new one on me, have not heard that before. I haven't had a 2.5L since the first '97 TJ I bought back in 1996, so I haven't followed the discussions on those too closely...I applaud you if you plan to swap engines, that is no small task. Sounds like you know what you're getting into. Keep us posted on the project. Welcome to the best TJ forum!

So it's after 1am. Can't sleep. Got jeep on the brain. Did a little research. I need to get the compression tested. I could get lucky and just get by on replacing the rings. Won't know for sure until I start tearing into it more. I'm off work this whole week. I gotta get this sorted by next monday since I gave my old car to my kid. My jeep is now my DD and I need it to be dependable and quick. Replacing the rings would save me a ton of grief and get me through to next year when I can consider a swap without the financial strain. The last 6 months of the year are a cash drain for me with holidays and birthdays. I feel a little it better now. Must sleep.

Reactions: Rob5589
I was wondering if you had a 4 cylinder when you earlier mentioned you'd "find a 6cyl and rebuild it.." but wasn't sure. I believe, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, that you would need to alter the frame if and when you exchange your engine from the 4 to 6 cylinder. Also your transmission, if it is in fact the manual.

My humble thought and is that would just be easier, definitely quicker and certainty cheaper to swap it for a low mileage 4cyl from a yard. Beat it, ride it, fun it for a year(s) and if you still love it, build it up- major time.

I was wondering if you had a 4 cylinder when you earlier mentioned you'd "find a 6cyl and rebuild it.." but wasn't sure. I believe, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, that you would need to alter the frame if and when you exchange your engine from the 4 to 6 cylinder. Also your transmission, if it is in fact the manual.

My humble thought and is that would just be easier, definitely quicker and certainty cheaper to swap it for a low mileage 4cyl from a yard. Beat it, ride it, fun it for a year(s) and if you still love it, build it up- major time.

Those thoughts were occurring to me also...not a bad plan to swap in a used engine. I've heard others talk about those engines being bullet proof, so I wondered about spun bearings being an issue...

Not sure on the frame part. Would need to change motor mounts, radiator and computer. There's more to it I'm sure. Certainly something I'm not prepared to do this summer. And if/when I do take it on I'd like to be able to take my time and make sure I have everything I need to do it right. In other words... let it sit in corner of garage until it's right and ready.

So yes... If the one in there is a simple fix I will go that route first. If not than I will look for a 2.5 swap until I can build it up right. Either way... I still have no idea what I'm doing but I'm not afraid to get dirty and I'm not ready to give up on it.

I don't know what you have as far as transmission, tire size, etc., but looking at your avatar photo, it looks like larger than stock tires on aftermarket wheels. Once you get the engine issues ironed out, whether a rebuild or swap, you'd be amazed how much you can do with what you have. Throw in a re-gearing of the axles, and the capability just multiplies.

I hope the fix for now isn't too involved. Doesn't the friend you got this from have any idea what's going on with the engine?

I don't know what you have as far as transmission, tire size, etc., but looking at your avatar photo, it looks like larger than stock tires on aftermarket wheels. Once you get the engine issues ironed out, whether a rebuild or swap, you'd be amazed how much you can do with what you have. Throw in a re-gearing of the axles, and the capability just multiplies.

I hope the fix for now isn't too involved. Doesn't the friend you got this from have any idea what's going on with the engine?
No. I haven't told him. I kinda feel like it would be rude to constantly point out issues that I have with it. I don't want him to feel responsible for my problems with it. He's a decent guy. He didn't drive it much and owned it for a year. Most of that time it sat in his drive way. He's a big guy and had a hard time getting behind the wheel. He inherited it when his father passed. So any changes beyond stock was done by his dad. I did tell him that if I ever considered selling it that I would offer it back to him first since it was his dads. He was very sentimental about it and was happy to be able to see it driven and enjoyed everyday by someone he knows.

My son tells me to quit being so precious about it. Hard not to be when my friend looks across work parking lot and immediately misses his dad.