My Jeep and I

The older we get, the easier it is to understand sentimental connection. Least I believe so.

Actually, motor mounts swapped is what I meant w 'altering the frame.' I didn't even think about the computer. But then again, I don't know everything that's involved w that change out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sloan
Like others have mentioned, have always heard the 2.5 was a dependable engine.
Regarding you're suspicion about bad Rings.....symptoms include what we call " blow by " which usually cause stalling at low Rpms.
Start your Jeep and unscrew the oil fill cap and see if there's a lot of air coming out " blow by ".
I actually had my hat blow off doing this on a 2.4. Lol
Don't use economy Rings.

@Bird Just got off phone with my son and jeep guy. His first thought is fuel injectors but damage is already done to rings and swapping would be easier than a rebuild. He suggests swapping with what I can get that runs and rebuild what I have and keep as back up or swap back. Also... all bays full today. Can't take it to shop for compression test today. I'm wondering though. If changing the fuel injectors could be enough to buy me time to get a swap sorted without doing more damage to the current 2.5L. Any advice?

Edit to add
Yes there was blow by

New injectors will do nothing for broken rings.
Continuing to run an engine with known bad rings just adds more scaring to the cylinder walls.....more honing.
You're Jeep won't run property with a busted ring.
You can pull plug wires one at a time to determine what cylinder is bad. The bad cylinder won't have much reaction once the plug wire is pulled.
But if a ring is busted, replace every ring in all 4 cylinders.

Don't Panic!

Get a compression check. Check the injectors to see if they are leaking. Fuel leaking in to the cylinder will wash away the oil film in the cylinder and then fuel will leak into the oil pan. This will dilute the engine oil. This will also wear the rings and Cylinder walls. Will probably need rings. In the mean time use a high viscosity oil until problem is found.
This advise is from an old amateur Jeeper, not a professional mechanic.

The old school way we'd use to determine if we had leaking injectors was to pull them , stuff a paper towel down in the port, reconnect the injectors then turn the key " don't start engine " to engage fuel pump which pressurizes the fuel system.
Wait an hour or so then pull the injectors and inspect the paper towels for leaking fuel injectors.

Reactions: Poolman and sloan
Don't Panic!

Get a compression check. Check the injectors to see if they are leaking. Fuel leaking in to the cylinder will wash away the oil film in the cylinder and then fuel will leak into the oil pan. This will dilute the engine oil. This will also wear the rings and Cylinder walls. Will probably need rings. In the mean time use a high viscosity oil until problem is found.
This advise is from an old amateur Jeeper, not a professional mechanic.
This!!! My panic is palpable. But is it safe to drive? I can't get the test done today and could be a few days before they have room and time at the shop. He also wants to hook up a noid light to see which injector is bad.

Kinda on hold. Gotta do the family thing. I'm glad it's vacation time that all this happened but many interruptions keep from doing what I need. I'll post results as soon as I can get away.

Off topic :
Just noticed you're from Wichita Kansas.
My oldest daughter is stationed there ( USAF ).

I'm a bit late for updating. I'm still searching for a 2.5. Thousands of them made and I can't seem to find one. I have several people asking around also. In the mean time I'm trying to get things sorted with my old car. Kid did some damage in the brief time she drove it. Got insurance sorted. Even have insurance guy looking out for a motor. The autozone guy felt so bad for me he gave me a discount on parts for my old car and a hug. Seriously... a hug. Told me I need a break. While parking the jeep there was a new issue popped up. Slight pressure on brakes made them lock up. It did rain last week before all this went to hell. Hoping it's just wet brakes. I'm on vacation still and I feel like I've worked harder than if I had just gone to work all week... but then I wouldn't have gotten as much done to my POS vehicles. I'm feeling very discouraged. Part of me wants to throw my hands up and lug both busted cars to a lot and trade them in. I'm not giving up. I've got more than money invested... that's my blood, sweat and tears on the drive way now.

that's my blood, sweat and tears on the drive way now.
Lotta blood in my drive too, wear Gloves, Drink plenty of water (beer) and remember, Its your hobby!!!!!!!!!!!! Just takes time to sort things out and soon you will be proud of what you have accomplished with "the toy"and they will be tears of JOY.
Remember, Jeeps aren't bought, they are built.

I'm a bit late for updating. I'm still searching for a 2.5. Thousands of them made and I can't seem to find one. I have several people asking around also. In the mean time I'm trying to get things sorted with my old car. Kid did some damage in the brief time she drove it. Got insurance sorted. Even have insurance guy looking out for a motor. The autozone guy felt so bad for me he gave me a discount on parts for my old car and a hug. Seriously... a hug. Told me I need a break. While parking the jeep there was a new issue popped up. Slight pressure on brakes made them lock up. It did rain last week before all this went to hell. Hoping it's just wet brakes. I'm on vacation still and I feel like I've worked harder than if I had just gone to work all week... but then I wouldn't have gotten as much done to my POS vehicles. I'm feeling very discouraged. Part of me wants to throw my hands up and lug both busted cars to a lot and trade them in. I'm not giving up. I've got more than money invested... that's my blood, sweat and tears on the drive way now.

Don't give up. There's gotta be a 2.5 hanging around somewhere near you. There's a place by me out in California called engine world. and they do ship. Might be worth a call to see what they have and see what the cost would be.

http://www.engineworld.com/

This is a story of pure joy, anguish and resolution.

The Joy

I bought my first Jeep (1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ) about 2 months ago. I've never owned a Jeep before but have always wanted one. It just never seemed logical to go after as a single mom with 3 kids. Well kids are all grown and having kids of their own now. The opportunity presented itself and I jumped when my friend offered to sell his Jeep to me. I've own many a beaters in my days but never have screamed with excitement the first time I drove away in it.

My enthusiasm for my Jeep was obvious. I had several projects in the works to fix a few minor issues, build a storage rack for hard top, and a winch to lift the top. My husband was supportive of what ever I wanted to do as long as it didn't require too much time or money.

There were a few issues immediately after buying my Jeep. It sat for almost a year before I owned it. My son (a mechanic) and his friend (go to Jeep guy) both looked it over before I bought it and said it was a solid purchase.

The Anguish

Driving home after a few errands the check engine light comes on and it begins to stall as if it's not getting enough fuel. I barely make it home just as it dies. Drove it to work the next day and no stalling seemed fine. Heard a very faint knocking and parked it and called my son to take a look. He came over and first thought upon hearing it was a spun bearing. Disconnected exhaust, removed starter, drained oil and lowered oil pan. Soooo much fuel in oil and oil is black when just 2 months ago it was gold. Panic ensues. Pacing. Reassurance it's going to be ok. NOOOO not my baby! Almost in tears by this point. I'm a woman.. it's what we do.

Changed the oil and put it all back together. Compression test is needed. Either way... it's not looking good. On start up knocking is down to a tick. I have to stay vigilant about checking oil and changing it immediately if it smells like fuel and very black. My son says "sell it". I haven't even put 500 miles on it. My husband says "do what you want". My son then says either rebuild or replace motor and if replacing replace with 6cyl.

The Resolution

I'm not ready to give up on my Jeep. I'm keeping it. I'm going to nurse this engine until I can find a 6cyl and rebuild it and swap out engines. It's been a decade or more since I've rebuilt a motor but with my son's help I know I can do it. It's going to take time and money and most likely a few busted knuckles and choice words. I can do it!

And to my chauvinist neighbor...."you can kindly fuck off today and next sunday for assuming it's my husbands jeep or his problem. This isn't 1930. I have a job. I make my own money. I have my own tools and can work on my own vehicle. In fact.. I prefer it. So next time you want to borrow my wrenches you can return them to me and thank me. You insignificant insecure man child!"

So that's it. It's going to be a pain in the ass. It won't be easy but anything you truly enjoy very seldom is.

I'll be looking to you fine folks for your collected wealth of knowledge and experience.

Thank you much!

I hear you 100% on the neighbor. I took my Jeep in for breaks immediately after I got it and the guy told me to tell my husband that my tires were overinflated. I had made it clear it was my Jeep, but apparently my husband is in charge of my tires?!?

Just ignore the haters and be friends with cool Jeep dudes who appreciate the lady Jeepers like the guys around here.

Good luck on getting the TJ in top shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a stuck or sticking fuel injector. The fact that it acted like it wasn't getting enough fuel could have been because of a flooded cylinder not firing. You might have spun a bearing as well, it doesn't take much after a problem like that starts. I just made the mistake of driving my wife's van after the oil light came on. I knew better, but she's in a wheelchair and all I could think of is get her home. We didn't make it a mile when the engine seized. Just popped in a used engine last week. I learned a $3500 lesson, don't ignore the warnings!

Sorry, late to the party here. Just browsed out to this thread.

Let me cogatate on this for a bit, but my first reaction is stay with your 2.5. The reason you can't find one in a wrecking yard is they just don't die very often and they didn't sell a ton of them. You can get a remanufactured 2.5, but if yours needs rebuilding, you can do it yourself. The hardest part is setting the ring gap correctly and getting the bearing clearances right. Easy explanation on doing that. It probably won't even need much machine work done if the crank journals are not scored.

Hang in there for a bit, we'll get it sorted out.

The six banger swap is non-trivial.

Reactions: JMT and UpperMI
Alrighty, @sloan, let's see what we have here. We'll ignore the possible brake issue for the moment, as you don't need brakes until it's running. Right?

It would be nice to know how many miles, manual or automatic, etc. How long did it sit? A year? More?

First off, 2.5's don't spin bearings unless you absolutely hammer the crap out of them. Don't worry about that right now. Blowby may or may not be an issue, but let's not jump to any conclusions just yet.

First off, you're a do it yourself kind of person, so let's do it ourselves. OK? Go purchase a decent compression gauge. And a pump oil can. Check each cylinder at least three times each, wet and dry. Write the numbers down and report back to us your findings. We'll go from there. (Come back when you have the compression gauge and the oil can if you would like instructions on the correct way to perform a compression check.)

I'm guessing your engine if fine or at least fixable.

Reactions: JMT and UpperMI
Let me tell you, any troubles you might have with the Jeep will be far worth any time / money you have to put into it. I've owned a ton of cool cars and motorcycles in my life, and I can't think of one of them that comes close to the TJ in terms of fun factor and satisfaction. This is truly a vehicle I will take to my grave with me. Driving down the road with the top off and the doors off, it just puts any thought of money, piss poor gas mileage, or engine troubles in the rear view mirror!