My LJ is a pig on fuel. This can't be real life.

freebo86

TJ Enthusiast
I’ve been in the Jeep world since 2006, and I am not expecting Corolla mileage here or miracles.. but I feel like something is off. Bit of background, I had a 97 5speed 4banger with 250km on the clock.. ran a cheap lift, 31” Duratracs the thing did alright on gas to the point it didn’t concern me as it was a Jeep.

Fast forward to 2014, I sold the 97 TJ and picked up a 05 LJ 6speed with 14k kms (~9k miles), yes 14k. Immaculate, stock. Manuals still wrapped and softop in a box. Ran it for a couple years with those 31s from the TJ… then lifted the thing with a OME lift and put some 33s on it.

This thing has been terrible on gas since day one I got it. I can’t believe it’s this bad. I drive around town, this thing is a summer / pavement queen - doesn’t see rain. Currently it has 23k miles. If I can get 400km (250miles) out of a tank I’d go buy a lottery ticket. To me 250miles on a tank of fuel seems way below what’s normal and expected, I’m not a heavy foot. This works out to 13MPG, I hope to god my math is wrong. I understand with 33s my odometer is off, but even adding a let’s say 15% for circumference difference that’s still only, shy of 15MPG. Spark plugs changed last year for fun.

What are people getting with these things in a similar setup?

Just shy of 15 mpg is normal for a TJ with larger size tires. I get 14.6 with my 35's and 42RLE automatic and I'm happy with that. I started with <11 mpg with 4.88 gearing which caused it to lug, then regeared to 5.38 which stopped the engine from lugging and my highway mpg went up to 14.6 which is not bad at all for running 35's.

What type of driving, hwy or city? The below is from the sticker sheet and we all know these numbers are never real. So if city sounds about right. I just started tracking my milage and its 12.5 mpg so far. I am not sure were that fits in with others, this is only two tanks as I just started, only had the jeep for 2 months and curious about mpg. I’ve got 32x11.5

IMG_1025.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Woodrow
About the same for my 4 squirrels on 31s with 3.73s, haven't checked since 4.56s went in, but I know it isn't 20 or whatever you're hoping for

I get between 12 and 13 usually. 35's, 4.0, AX-15, 4.88 gears. Last December me and my buddy went hunting for a week in the mountains, towing my camp trailer with all our gear. I got 9.5 average on that trip.😆

Reactions: Bigmac
Well I guess that’s somewhat assuring. My driving is city, 95% of the time from home to work on the days I take the Jeep. @Jerry Bransford I remember you from the jeepforum days!

Guess I’ll be looking for probably 32x11.5 tires anyways so that should help a bit. The 33x12.5s as nice as the Jeep looks, I don’t like the fact they stick out and fling dirt/debris on the side of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Well I guess that’s somewhat assuring. My driving is city, 95% of the time from home to work on the days I take the Jeep.
city driving will give you worse mileage than mixed highway/street

city driving will give you worse mileage than mixed highway/street

There is highway driving for the drive from
Work to home to get the little lad I hit the highway which probably gives me approx. 12miles a day of highway. So 60miles a week is highway.

Few weeks ago, did a round trip to 1.5hrsx2. Felt like I spent more time in a gas station then driving the 200miles.. because it certainly took a tank. So cruising at 60miles/hr don’t feel any better. This is with hard top installed, no weight. Didn’t even out my rear spare tire on as it’s sitting in the garage. 🤣

What type of driving, hwy or city? The below is from the sticker sheet and we all know these numbers are never real. So if city sounds about right. I just started tracking my milage and its 12.5 mpg so far. I am not sure were that fits in with others, this is only two tanks as I just started, only had the jeep for 2 months and curious about mpg. I’ve got 32x11.5

View attachment 452763

Yea, fake news 😃

Have never seen anywhere near either of those numbers :unsure:

20230825_143125.jpg

Does anyone remember driving one new/stock?
I doubt too many on here have.
I do. Bought mine from the original owner when it was almost 4 years old. Still get around the same mileage. 15-ish in town with the AC on and close to 18 all highway miles.

I was completely amazed on a weekend off-road trip around 2010. Steady 35 MPH on forest roads and got 23 MPG out of two tanks. It’s amazing how much you lose from stop and go city driving.

I routinely get between 15-19 doing county roads and some highway use. Have gotten as low as 12-13 off road or on trail. But, I don't have a lead foot. I rarely get above 65 mph and never for long if I do. Mild spacer lift (obviously not much at all) and 31 in tires.

2005. 4.0. 6 speed manual

That's not far off from what my LJ on 33 gets. If your getting close to 250 at tank you might be doing better than you think. I seem to recall the TJ has about 3 gallons, maybe a bit more, left in the tank when the guage reads empty. 250 miles on 16 gallons would give you 15.6 mpg. Next time your out fill it and use GPS to track your mileage before filling it back up. That will give you an accurate mpg.

Reactions: freebo86