My neighbor just killed himself

sometimes it can come down to pride or dignity. my grandfather had a choice he could try to fix the issue and live on baby food in diapers or keep his pride and accept the results, rather than burden his wife or give up his dignity.

i hope i never have to make this decision. and hate they had to.

Reactions: B00mb00m and Chris
I have watched several older acquaintances suffer the effects of Alzheimer's....MY best friend's MIL is now in the angry/violent stage, and the FIL can't handle her anymore. I think the decision to put her in a care facility is coming soon. My own parents passed from a brain embolism in the middle of the night (Mom), and the Big C (Dad), so my sister and I did not have to watch our own parents go that way. Horrible way to go. Sorry about your friend/neighbor Chris, but I think you did all you could just by being a friend.....

Reactions: Chris and Zorba
Suicide leaves nothing but destruction behind for those that are still living. Sorry for that opinion but having dealt with this issue more than once in my life its a well earned one.
A distant cousin of mine committed suicide in what could have been called the "Prime of Life", young, nice family, etc. I had/have no idea why he did it. In the case of Alzheimer's, I completely understand. I have no desire to live with/die from that cruel disease. The family is going to mourn your death, why not spare theme the grief of having to live with an exceedingly cruel disease while waiting for you to forget how to breathe???

Reactions: Chris
A distant cousin of mine committed suicide in what could have been called the "Prime of Life", young, nice family, etc. I had/have no idea why he did it. In the case of Alzheimer's, I completely understand. I have no desire to live with/die from that cruel disease. The family is going to mourn your death, why not spare theme the grief of having to live with an exceedingly cruel disease while waiting for you to forget how to breathe???
It's tragic no matter how it's spun.

Reactions: srimes
It's tragic no matter how it's spun.
True, but that disease is exceptional in the cruelty it inflicts on not just the person suffering from it, but the caregivers, and the family. And they still have the grief of losing a family member, whether right now or after years of suffering....

Reactions: Chris
My step-dad is 86 and still sharp (enough for his age). Several years ago he made a request that just made total sense and put it all in perspective..."load the gun for me before I forget how".

Dementia is a terrible way to live out one's life. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Reactions: BillW and Chris
True, but that disease is exceptional in the cruelty it inflicts on not just the person suffering from it, but the caregivers, and the family. And they still have the grief of losing a family member, whether right now or after years of suffering....
Sure. I'm only saying that cruel or not, suicide leaves behind nothing but sorrow for everyone involved.

Reactions: Apparition
This is a terrible situation all around. Dementia is horrible as the person slowly dies while the body lives on. My in laws are going through this now.

Personally, my religion teaches that suicide is not an option and I believe that. We didn't get to choose when we came into this world and it's not our place to choose when we leave. I do see the appeal, though. If I was facing a similar fate I might put myself in situations where I was more likely to get taken out: sailing offshore solo, base jumping, go fight the Russians in Ukraine, ride a motorcycle with no helmet, whatever. I'll buy the ticket but it's up to God to punch it.

After fighting caner for 7 years and it finally starting to take my dad's cognitive abilities, at 72 he dad blew his brains out in his car in the parking lot of a restaurant, guess he didn't want my mom having to clean up the mess?
The car was a total mess as you can imagine and it's your problem to clean afterwards. When KIA wanted the financed car back we gave it back, brains, blood, guts and all. Would've liked to have seen their faces when they got it back? lol
Suicide is the choice of many, but they're not thinking clearly usually.
RIP dad and Mike
NOTE: if you're gonna off yourself, do it with pain killers, the only mess will be you shit'n and piss'n yourself, no brains all over the wall to clean for family members.

Last edited:
After fighting caner for 7 years and it finally starting to take my dad's cognitive abilities, at 72 he dad blew his brains out in his car in the parking lot of a restaurant, guess he didn't want my mom having to clean up the mess?
The car was a total mess as you can imagine and it's your problem to clean afterwards. When KIA wanted the financed car back we gave it back, brains, blood, guts and all. Would've liked to have seen their faces when they got it back? lol
Suicide is the choice of many, but they're not thinking clearly usually.
RIP dad and Mike
NOTE: if you're gonna off yourself, do it with pain killers, the only mess will be you shit'n and piss'n yourself, no brains all over the wall to clean for family members.
There’s a dark humor aspect to that story you just told. 😆

I would have loved to have seen the persons face who picked up the vehicle.

Sorry about your dad. I don’t blame him though, I’d have done the same thing myself and sure as hell will if it ever comes down to it. I’ll pick a cleaner way to go though, namely an insulin overdose.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Wow, I can't imagine what that is like, and I feel sorry for his close family and friends.

Dementia is cruel. My grandmother passed away a few years ago, and she suffered with it for quite a while. She was a few weeks short of 90 when she passed, but it was incredibly sad how it changed her. She was a classy lady who never said a bad word about anyone or even swore, a WWII veteran, and extremely independent. She lived in her own house alone until she was 82. The last few years she went downhill quite rapidly, to the point of where she didn't know anyone's names, and had to be in a home due to suffering from sun-downing, which is where she would sleep during the day, and be out at night looking for everyone.

I also recently lost a close family friend suddenly to a heart attack, and it always makes one question which is worse, to lose someone suddenly and unexpectedly, or to watch them slowly degrade into an almost unrecognizable shell of themselves. I agree that suicide is tough on those who are left behind, but I can certainly understand why he chose to leave this world on his terms.

RIP.

Reactions: BillW