My weekend project, heated seats

JustDandee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
well, it's been three weeks since I snapped my patella tendon. I am going a bit stir crazy so my wife was kind enough to bring me a seat. I had ordered a seat heater kit before the accident. Going to see if I can put this together and kill some time, fortunately it's nice weather today. Any tips/tricks? seat does have a cigaret burn hole not sure what I have handy to cosmetically address that

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good luck & speedy recovery.

I did my seat heaters (for a second time) a few weeks ago. The first set of heaters I purchased were an Amazon special that, after a few hours of getting them all setup, found they didn't work. Got an immediate refund from the Amazon seller, so apparently it was a common issue.

The second set were from Bartact. Should have bought from them when I purchased the seat covers.

In any event, the install is pretty easy. I put the panels on back side of the Bartact seat covers rather than under the stock seat covers making it an easy install. I put the switches on the center console. I have a Painless Performance CirKit panel and used one of the switched circuits there-in for the switched power.

Find myself using them most mornings. The low setting is more than enough.

IMG_0634.jpeg

admittedly, I think I bit off more than I can chew. little tough to get up and down and get tools to work on getting the seat cover off but we're making some progress now... I found some information about hydrating the foam with the steam which my wife has a little handy steam device, so I am applying that technique. It does seem to soften it up a little bit and give it a little more lift. my hope is to get this one chair done this weekend. I am at least 30 days out before I can even bend the knee and everything I drive is a stick shift. I am really not going anywhere soon.

image.jpg

Random question....can you tell me where these side retention clips for the OEM seat covers snap-in? They were disconnected when I bought the Jeep, I can't tell if it's obvious and I'm being dense. I have an '03.

IMG_1556.jpeg

Random question....can you tell me where these side retention clips for the OEM seat covers snap-in? They were disconnected when I bought the Jeep, I can't tell if it's obvious and I'm being dense. I have an '03.

View attachment 463872

I wonder if the 05 is different from the 03? here is what my side looks like. One is the clip that holds the cover down. one's more like a skirt.

image.jpg

I wonder if the 05 is different from the 03? here is what my side looks like. One is the clip that holds the cover down. one's more like a skirt.

View attachment 463874

I had wondered if there was something wrong with the side clips, they are just flat plastic. However I thought they might snap up and in like the soft tops. Hopefully someone else knows. Thanks!

taking breathers watching youtube- little trick i thought was helpful- cutout a relief where the resister pack is going to nest. dont know if that is going to really land in a contact point when seated, but just in case I did it.

IMG_3868.jpeg

routing the cables, found a worn spot on one of the seat lever cables, moved the insulation/run guard to cover it appropriately -probably got a few more years of life on that cable with that catch. But one down , one to go. Right now some more tylenol, ice pack and get the driver seat tomorrow.

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Need to do heated seats on mine...but I think I'm going the easy route and using the pockets on my Bartact seat covers.

Oh...and as a former Boise resident..damn you 2C drivers... =)

Nice work and hope you heal quickly!

-Mac

Need to do heated seats on mine...but I think I'm going the easy route and using the pockets on my Bartact seat covers.

-Mac

Interesting.. my Bartacts don't have pockets other than for the lumbar pillow.

Interesting.. my Bartacts don't have pockets other than for the lumbar pillow.

I assumed I could use that for the seat heater...seemed to recall some destruction regarding that.

Also note I've been working a lot of hours building my new shop so I'm exhausted. Could be wrong.

Also don't want to many layers of fabric between my ass and heat. I'm skinny and like snow wheeling and PNW summers are still cold wet and dreary.

-Mac

Summer...
IMG_20230710_124646.jpg

Reactions: MikekiM

-Mac

Thanks Mac and LOL- and guess what they say about the 1A drivers… same thing! 😉Actually the whole thing shifted to out of state drivers now, A Seattle, LA driver, Portland driver navigating through traffic just stands out.

I assumed I could use that for the seat heater...seemed to recall some destruction regarding that.

Also note I've been working a lot of hours building my new shop so I'm exhausted. Could be wrong.

Also don't want to many layers of fabric between my ass and heat. I'm skinny and like snow wheeling and PNW summers are still cold wet and dreary.

-Mac

Summer...
View attachment 464024

I can't handle the seat warmers on high, so a little bit of fabric between me and the heat is just fine.

Reactions: macleanflood
I have a set I bought a year or so ago for my F150, I need to get them installed too.

The ones in my TJ get used whenever Im driving the thing. I hate being cold and the seat heaters have worked well in the many years that they have been installed.