My wife let me buy a 21 year old vehicle

dirty6

B3AE30D9-9C9E-4D01-AF8B-1BBA9B811236.jpeg
95368BF0-AA69-498F-A972-A3593AB49E4A.jpeg
Hello from Missouri (for now)

After 20 years of adulthood and spending a pittance on my go-to-work driver, I finally bit down hard and bought what I’ve secretly wanted since I was in high school. After much looking I found a very low mileage 4.0 manual TJ with half doors - basically exactly what I wanted. I paid dearly for it but that was partly bc I despise haggling. The dealer seemed giddy, can’t figure out why.

Here’s my 2001 Wrangler Sport w 49k miles. No lift, no significant mods other than a cold air intake and a custom head unit for the stereo. I get the impression it was an Arizona/Colorado weekend/fair weather fun vehicle for the PO - it’s very clean, but also super dusty.

I’m mechanically … inexperienced. My goal is to make this last for another 10-20 years as a daily driver depending on my commuting situation, so I’m sure I’ll be bugging you all with plenty of idiot-simple questions over time. I’d like to use this vehicle as a means to learn a lot about working on vehicles and teaching my boys the same. Not interested in any hard core wheeling, but maybe some basic 4x4 trails depending on where we live at any point in time.

Congrats and welcome from Long Island NY, awesome color and you can see from mine, I love the half doors. Start off by changing all the fluids in the engine, trans and diffs. That will get you familiar with the TJ and set a baseline for knowing when they were done.

Start here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-fluid-capacities.195/

Reactions: MikekiM
Welcome and congratulations, fun times to be had. Your boys will get a kick out of working with you and learning about it.

Congratulations! Great color TJ! Welcome to the forum.

That right there is a beaut! Pretty low miles!

Yep, change the fluids, and the spark plugs probably need to be replaced. Congrats, and good on you for wanting to learn your own wrenching. Just take your time, double check everything, and you'll be fine.

Congrats. I had a similar situation. I sold my great running, small but peppy low miles Acura ILX manual to get 4 banger TJ that I had to pickup on a trailer.

Don’t regret it a single bit.

Another welcome from Long Island. I did much as you did... Compromised on my DD for years. Always wanted a TJ but actually went through three JKs, a WJ and a KJ before I came to my senses. Scored a super clean 2000 with 56k. I just want to grow old with it. Just need some half doors and I'll be content.

Still have a KJ that my daughter drives and a '21 Cherokee for my wife.

Congratulations! What a clean good looking TJ. Another thing you should do soon, is get rid of that cold air intake and put it back to stock. They don't do a thing and the stock intake is better for your Jeep.

Reactions: Zorba
My goal is to make this last for another 10-20 years as a daily driver depending on my commuting situation

🧐, she's way too pretty for that, I’d keep it as a side piece while hammering a standard pile of crap DD letting it soak up miles, salt, water, snow, ice, sun, potholes, road debris, dings, dents & various & sundry other retards, gypsies & thieves

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, all. I’m gonna wait a minute on an oil change bc the dealer had one done as a part of the sale. But I like the idea of changing the diff fluid and maybe the transfer case, too … I bet those haven’t been done for a long time. I’ve also got a small list of small jobs I’d like to do sooner rather than later.

What I really need is to get the paint touched up and maybe polished/buffed - the hood especially has lots of superficial scratches that show primer but the paint overall is in sharp shape. I’d like to invest in keeping it that way for a long time.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Congratulations! What a clean good looking TJ. Another thing you should do soon, is get rid of that cold air intake and put it back to stock. They don't do a thing and the stock intake is better for your Jeep.
Yeah, I’ve been reading up on that and that’s the general tone I’ve been seeing! And not hard to go back to stock, it seems. I do have a strange whistle that seems to happen around 1200-1400rpm on acceleration only - I wonder if it is connected to the K&N intake.

Yeah, I’ve been reading up on that and that’s the general tone I’ve been seeing! And not hard to go back to stock, it seems. I do have a strange whistle that seems to happen around 1200-1400rpm on acceleration only - I wonder if it is connected to the K&N intake.
yes it probably is due to the K&N

🧐, she's way too pretty for that, I’d keep it as a side piece while hammering a standard pile of crap DD letting it soak up miles, salt, water, snow, ice, sun, potholes, road debris, dings, dents & various & sundry other retards, gypsies & thieves
I totally hear you, though I don’t think I’m going to get away with the storage space and/or registering/insuring yet another vehicle. We’ve already got 3 b/c the teenager is driving.

For now, we live in a pretty warm climate with minimal salting during winter …. and I live 3 miles from work. Every now and then I drive to pick up a kiddo from school and add another 10 miles. That’s the only time in regular use I drive in zones that exceed 45mph. For the next couple years, at least, this will be “normal” daily driving for me. I’m military, so things change every two years. If we end up in a place with a longer commute and/or deeper into rust territory, I’ll probably pick up a junker to commute with.

The other challenge where I live now is we just don’t have storage space. Our home has 2 car ports (one on either side of the home) and each driveway is wide enough barely to drive the car down the driveway. We aren’t allowed to park on the street, so with 3 cars we are already playing musical cars all the time to ensure that the nice family car and my shiny Jeep get the benefit of limited protection the car port provides. Adding a 4th vehicle that shuffle game …. woof

Reactions: TJ Starting
Very
View attachment 298267View attachment 298268Hello from Missouri (for now)

After 20 years of adulthood and spending a pittance on my go-to-work driver, I finally bit down hard and bought what I’ve secretly wanted since I was in high school. After much looking I found a very low mileage 4.0 manual TJ with half doors - basically exactly what I wanted. I paid dearly for it but that was partly bc I despise haggling. The dealer seemed giddy, can’t figure out why.

Here’s my 2001 Wrangler Sport w 49k miles. No lift, no significant mods other than a cold air intake and a custom head unit for the stereo. I get the impression it was an Arizona/Colorado weekend/fair weather fun vehicle for the PO - it’s very clean, but also super dusty.

I’m mechanically … inexperienced. My goal is to make this last for another 10-20 years as a daily driver depending on my commuting situation, so I’m sure I’ll be bugging you all with plenty of idiot-simple questions over time. I’d like to use this vehicle as a means to learn a lot about working on vehicles and teaching my boys the same. Not interested in any hard core wheeling, but maybe some basic 4x4 trails depending on where we live at any point in time.
Nice We have just done pretty much the same bought a TJ soft top, here in NZ Love it

IMG_20211112_135828[1].jpg

Reactions: Blondie70
Clean one for sure! Only thing I'd change is lose the tube steps and front tube bumper. Other than that, she's a gem!

Thank you for your service, btw.