Mysterious button on steering column

TJ Starting

The Seven Slots of the World
Supporting Member
Does anybody know what this button is supposed to do? It's on the right side of the steering wheel.

Well thanks! That's interesting bacause I've never had my key lock in and I can remove the key while the engine is running also.

Reactions: matkal
When the keys start falling out during a left turn, that is past the time to fix what is broke.

When I owned my CJ5 the key could be removed whenever I wanted to take it out regardless of what position it was in and it never fell out once. I could also restart the engine without the key unless I hit the key release lever and turned it all the way off. I'm not sure if this applies to Tj Starting's Jeep but it's something to check so it doesn't get stolen.

If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it

Reactions: TJ Starting
I found it irritating when my keys started falling out whilst driving. So I decided it was time to rebuild the key cylinder. If that isn't happening or someone else doesn't find that irritating when it does start happening, then nothing needs to be done.

In high school one of my buddies had a CJ7. One day he made the mistake of telling us it could be started without the key by just turning the ignition.

After that, any time we saw it in the parking lot we made sure to move it to the other side of campus for him.
I have a similar story with my buddies ford windstar gl.

Hey. Not sure if this thread is still open. If it is, does that mean that it's a key problem, or an ignition tumbler problem, or a key release button problem? My mechanics have broken the key release button, and now the key just comes out, even if the engine is running. What do I need to do to fix this? Any help appreciated.