Mysterious missing lugnuts

Bird Dog

TJ Enthusiast
I just got home from getting my TJ towed. I had been deer hunting 8 miles from my house and had been in the deep woods of our property. The road to and from the stand I hunted is pretty rough but I have been in and out the same route for the last couple of weeks. Three miles from the hunting site back to the house on the highwayI hear a rumbling sound from what sounded like the right rear when I let off the gas but when I applied the brakes the rumbling stopped. When I put it back under power the rumbling stopped. Thinking it was a limb that had gotten caught I kept going but slower. I had slowed down considerably but when I hit a bump it felt like the rear end had busted loose and the Jeep sank down in the back. I called the tow service and when we jacked it up all of the lug nuts were missing from the left rear tire hub. I dug around for some extra lug nuts and we put the left tire back on and winched it onto the roll-back. The left rear tire had come off and fortunately centered itself in the wheel-well when I hit the bump and then pulled off the road. The mystery to me is that the threads on the studs did not look overly damaged as I would expect a loose wheel over time to cause. I don’t routinely check for loose lug nuts but if it had been loose for a while it seems that the threads would be worn down and making noise. I was hunting two miles from the nearest dwelling so I don’t think one of the angry neighbors took them off. Also, wouldn’t it be more likely to loose lug nuts while going through the rough stuff and not on the highway for 5 miles with no noise? And to lose all 5 at once? Thoughts from anyone?

I had some come loose on me, not a Jeep but as mentioned these where not torqued correctly so my fault. I think it was all of them on one wheel. As far as damage to threads it depends how long you drove on them, once, multiple times. Long distance etc. definitely bizarre but happened to me too and I know I caused mine.

Did you have work done on your Jeep recently requiring the removal of the rims possibly for a brake inspection ?
You didn't specify if the rims were the stock steel or aluminum rims or aftermarket aluminum rims, but I have to agree with what The Boogieman posted above concerning the lug nuts being torqued properly.
Lug nuts do not just loosen themselves when torqued properly unless the wrong style lug nuts were used with the type of rims that are installed.
Recommend you check the torque on the other three rims lug nuts.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
1000_F_185561260_EEG4O5rQRUczNSmGrlT0xhfqGO1fIbFN.jpg

Did you have work done on your Jeep recently requiring the removal of the rims possibly for a brake inspection ?
You didn't specify if the rims were the stock steel or aluminum rims or aftermarket aluminum rims, but I have to agree with what The Boogieman posted above concerning the lug nuts being torqued properly.
Lug nuts do not just loosen themselves when torqued properly unless the wrong style lug nuts were used with the type of rims that are installed.
Recommend you check the torque on the other three rims lug nuts.

I had the tires rotated back in August by a shop I have been using for years. The wheels haven’t been off since then. The wheels are aftermarket aluminum.

I had the tires rotated back in August by a shop I have been using for years. The wheels haven’t been off since then. The wheels are aftermarket aluminum.

If anyone touches my lug nuts I check the torque. And you should do it a hundred miles or so after a rotation anyways.

Happens! I break lots of shit.

-Mac

Reactions: Blondie70
the shop could have under torqued the nuts and they loosened over time.

they could have also over torqued the nuts and stretched the bolts so that the bolts no longer have spring tension.

third, they could have applied too much anti-seize. a little bit on the threads only is ok, but the torque needs to be adjusted down if anti-seize is used. anti-seize should never be put on the mating surface between the nut and the wheel though.

This is a good reason to put one wheel lock on every tire. At one point, I had two on every tire and one on my spare. If you suspect someone is messing with you it provides a little more security. I keep the keys in the bag that they came with in my console, so I don't lose them. A set of four cost only $20. And, they are very hard to get off without the key.

Last edited:
I got my 2023 Escalade back from the dealer after getting it first oil change and tire rotation and check up. Since the first service is free from GM I took advantage of it. A few days later it developed a rattle in the wheel, I pulled off the center cap and found a lug nut had come loose on two different wheels. WTF

IMG_1511.jpg

I got my 2023 Escalade back from the dealer after getting it first oil change and tire rotation and check up. Since the first service is free from GM I took advantage of it. A few days later it developed a rattle in the wheel, I pulled off the center cap and found a lug nut had come loose on two different wheels. WTF

View attachment 457130

That's nuts

View attachment 457130

It must be those pesky squirrels the other guy was talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1