Mysterious Radio Display Behavior

joelachr

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've had a problem for a while with the OEM radio display occasionally going blank. I eventually traced it to axially play between the key and ignition as seen below.

DF9B0B2A-8E89-4120-8C40-3876C9045854.GIF

I've only had one ignition key since I bought the Jeep and it's rather worn. The spare key has no SKIM transponder but is in better condition. I used the non-SKIM key to test and it almost completely eliminates the problem. I can get the non-SKIM key to blank the display but it has to be intentional and even then it's difficult. The worn SKIM key will do it on its own over rough pavement. So I tried one local dealer this morning and they wanted $120 for the transponder key and $65 to program it. I left without a new key. I did discover that the non-SKIM key seems to work just fine with the SKIM key hanging on the keychain next to it.

Prices on Amazon are $50-$60 for the Jeep branded key blank. Any place to get a better price or is that as good as it gets? I like the Jeep logo but I'd be fine with spares with no logo. Is there a separate part number for non-logo blanks?

I could have the non-SKIM key copied but Is it possible to take the VIN into a dealer and have the blank cut fresh instead of copying? I'll have to go in to have at least one programmed anyway.

My radio does that also but I have no skim key on either set of keys. Also like you the one I use almost exclusively is pretty worn. All I have to do is just tap the key inward and everything works again. It usually only happens on rough trails and I rarely use the radio anyways so I don’t notice it unless I look down and see the radio is blank