Mystery part fragments in transfer case

gwolff

Hey guys

I took apart my NP231 to deal with some leaks. Upon disassembly, I found a few fragments of something at the oil pickup (along with a metric ton of RTV... everywhere). Picture below. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance.

PXL_20210529_024803197.jpg

PXL_20210529_024819140.jpg

I want to say planetary thrust washer but I remember it being larger than that? And then I can't figure out how it would have got there..

I want to say planetary thrust washer but I remember it being larger than that? And then I can't figure out how it would have got there..
It does very much look like a thrust washer. I can’t find any similar part in any NP231J rebuild kit I look up...
I also thought it may be the magnet that fits into the other half of the case bottom...
Judging from all the gooped up sealant all over it’s obviously been opened up before and who knows what was done at that time...

Yes, it was opened to install an SYE. When they put it back together they went way overboard with RTV. I was looking through the most comprehensive rebuild kits and could not find any similar part. It does look a bit like a thrust washer, but I would imagine the thrust washers are metal. I will have to see if I can locate the thrust washer intact where it is supposed to be.

The only other thing I can think of is a shield from a bearing? But I can't get that to make sense either lol

I ordered the rebuild kit from Novak which comes with thrust washers. I suppose if I reassemble it with everything in the kit and I don't have any problems, I will just move on and forget I ever saw it :)

If I figure out what it is, I will come back and update this thread. I have been running the transfer case without any issues besides leaking from the case. I had a leak from the mating surfaces of the tcase and the transmission (32rh) but I suspect that leak was from the output seal of the transmission.

I know this is old but that looks exactly the size of the planetary gear thrust washer. Each gear of the planet has two, one each side of gear separating it from the case.

Reactions: MichaelGH