Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Here is pictures of the NWF shifter.

It comes with 4' cables standard or you can get longer is wanted. The 3 shifter levers & the bracket that stands off from the transfer case.

20201113_223639.jpg

20201113_223647.jpg

The base that the shifter levers attach to.

20201113_223703.jpg

20201113_223713.jpg

And then the 3 slot shifter boot

20201113_224129.jpg

20201113_224152.jpg

And then their custom engraved shifter knobs.

20201113_223754.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I've been doing some more digging on the triple shifters. I spoke with Jon over at JB fab about his triple setup for the Atlas 4 Speed. It appears to be a solid setup, and Jon was very helpful. The problem with his setup is that the cable connections at the case come in from the rear of the case, over the top. That will not work for me because my case is clocked flat and tucked up tight to the body. And the body tub actually drops down lower than the top of the case about 3 inches behind it - so no way to make the JB cable configuration work without a whole bunch of body modification.

Hopefully you can see what I talking about here:

IMG_6403.JPG

The JB shift cables for the main case go directly above and to the left of the shift rail box at the top of the case. and that's the reason I would have to do some major bodywork to make that happen. So no-go on the JB Fab.

I'm pretty sure the Northwest Fab setup is similar, but I'm checking on that.

So what I may do is pick up the universal twin stick shifter from Advance, of which the cables come in from the front of the case using the same hardware I have now. I currently run the Advance cable shifter which resides in the stock shifter location on the LJ.

Here is the new kit:

Atlas Shifter 303009.jpg

This style shifter matches the shifter I have for the planetary, and my thought is I can use this to build my own triple stick by butting this new shifter up next to my current planetary shifter, and bending the shifters to make it work like an integrated triple. This would solve two problems: 1) the cable locations would work with my current setup, and 2) using the existing planetary shifter would resolve the issue with both the JB and the NW Fab shifters whereby the High and Low range would be in opposite directions.

I have reached out to Advance to see if they would sell me just the shifter instead of the entire kit.

(@Wildman - are you proud of me for over-analyzing?)

• Love
Reactions: Wildman
I've been doing some more digging on the triple shifters. I spoke with Jon over at JB fab about his triple setup for the Atlas 4 Speed. It appears to be a solid setup, and Jon was very helpful. The problem with his setup is that the cable connections at the case come in from the rear of the case, over the top. That will not work for me because my case is clocked flat and tucked up tight to the body. And the body tub actually drops down lower than the top of the case about 3 inches behind it - so no way to make the JB cable configuration work without a whole bunch of body modification.

Hopefully you can see what I talking about here:

View attachment 204003

The JB shift cables for the main case go directly above and to the left of the shift rail box at the top of the case. and that's the reason I would have to do some major bodywork to make that happen. So no-go on the JB Fab.

I'm pretty sure the Northwest Fab setup is similar, but I'm checking on that.

So what I may do is pick up the universal twin stick shifter from Advance, of which the cables come in from the front of the case using the same hardware I have now. I currently run the Advance cable shifter which resides in the stock shifter location on the LJ.

Here is the new kit:

View attachment 204013

This style shifter matches the shifter I have for the planetary, and my thought is I can use this to build my own triple stick by butting this new shifter up next to my current planetary shifter, and bending the shifters to make it work like an integrated triple. This would solve two problems: 1) the cable locations would work with my current setup, and 2) using the existing planetary shifter would resolve the issue with both the JB and the NW Fab shifters whereby the High and Low range would be in opposite directions.

I have reached out to Advance to see if they would sell me just the shifter instead of the entire kit.

(@Wildman - are you proud of me for over-analyzing?)

I'm not sure you'd be given the title of Over Analyzer Extraordinaire but you've come damn close. That is interesting that the JB kit comes in from the rear instead of the front. When I pull up their web site I don't even see a kit for the Atlas.

I'll be curious to see what NWF says about their kit. When I talked to them at least for the STaK's box it comes in from the front just like the stock shifters. Looking at your transfer case I wish I could get my box that flat. Without doing a TON of body work there isn't anyway I could do that with the STaK's box.

The truck was in the shop this week, and sure enough I needed to haul some things to the dump - and so I needed to turn the jeep into a tow vehicle. I popped a couple of holes through the rear bumper, and wired up a 7 pole receiver to connect the trailer.

IMG_6394.JPG

The receiver plug in the body was the original connection which I put in prior to building the swing-away tire carrier back in 2010 - but the main bar blocks that connector when the carrier is in the closed position. It's been inaccessible for 10 years.

This one is a bit more accessible.

IMG_6395.JPG

It does look a little funny with the big trailer behind the rig, but it worked...

IMG_6376.JPG

I'm not sure you'd be given the title of Over Analyzer Extraordinaire but you've come damn close. That is interesting that the JB kit comes in from the rear instead of the front. When I pull up their web site I don't even see a kit for the Atlas.

I'll be curious to see what NWF says about their kit. When I talked to them at least for the STaK's box it comes in from the front just like the stock shifters. Looking at your transfer case I wish I could get my box that flat. Without doing a TON of body work there isn't anyway I could do that with the STaK's box.
I heard back from Kris at NW Fab today, and he told me that his triple setup comes with either a front mount atlas case shift cable setup, or a rear mount setup. So, the front mount sounds like it would work - but there is still the issue of high and low range being reversed between the case and the planetary shifters.

Also heard back from Advance, and they will sell me just the twin stick shifter without the cables and bracketry that I already have.

I have options anyway.

Last edited:
I heard back from Kris at NW Fab today, and he told me that his triple setup comes with either a front mount atlas case shift cable setup, or a rear mount setup. So, the front mount sounds like it would work - but there is still the issue of high and low range being reversed between the case and the planetary shifters.

And becasue of the way the Hi/Low box works there isn't a way around this? I have a general idea who it works from looking at the dual t-case kits from back in the late 90's and early 2000. I was actually going to go that route at first but then the STaK's was released.

Congratulations on the new addition and being a proud Grandpa. You now have a new Jeepin buddy and when he gets older a ADV bike riding mate.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
And becasue of the way the Hi/Low box works there isn't a way around this? I have a general idea who it works from looking at the dual t-case kits from back in the late 90's and early 2000. I was actually going to go that route at first but then the STaK's was released.
I'd have to reverse the lever and cable mount at the planetary, or modify the NW Fab shifter to run the cable out of the shifter in the opposite direction of the case shifters (which looks like a major mod). Either is possible. It's actually one reason I'm considering combining the Advance twin stick shifter with my current planetary shifter to orient the cables in just this way. Or, just live with the reversed high low (but I don't think I could convince myself to do that...).

• Haha
Or, just live with the reversed high low (but I don't think I could convince myself to do that...).

Yes I don't see you doing that. I don't know what the cost difference is but would a JB Fab or NWF twin stick be easier to use?

I don't have a photo from today Rick, but I was crawling this ledge right at that undercut section. Not even really goosing it, and it went boom.

IMG_5116.JPG

• Wow
I wonder if you had some stress cracks in the teeth from previous runs? That is a lot of teeth to get stripped off.
What is the plan now Jeff? I know you'd talked about a different rear axle after your issues with the axle shafts.

I wonder if you had some stress cracks in the teeth from previous runs? That is a lot of teeth to get stripped off.
What is the plan now Jeff? I know you'd talked about a different rear axle after your issues with the axle shafts.
I'd actually been noticing some noise when coasting over the past few months - but did not think much of it. Maybe something did get tweeked somehow. As I said (and this is certainly not normal for me) I wasn't hitting it hard at all when it went.

I think my plan is to just replace the R&P to get it running short term, but I need to start thinking seriously about a longer term swap. Hemi, 40's and about 50,000 pound feet of torque at the axle shaft appears to be too much for it. Perhaps going to a shaved 14 bolt, or a 70. I like the rock jock 70 as I could still do a high pinion. I'd like to see how Toximus' hold up after his LS swap.

So not wanting to put off the inevitable I tore into the rear end this morning. Pulled the wheels, brakes and axle shafts

IMG_0007.JPG

After a little squeeze with the diff spreader out popped the diff.

IMG_0004.JPG

As expected, the housing was full of teeth...

IMG_0010.JPG

• Wow