Navigating Troubles with My 2003 Jeep TJ Sport - Seeking Advice on Engine Options

IGNAonline

Hey everyone,

I've been on a rollercoaster journey with my 2003 Jeep TJ Sport over the past three years and am now at a crossroads, looking for some wisdom from this knowledgeable community.

Current Configuration:
2003 Jeep with a 4.0 engine, 42RLE transmission connected to an Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, and 4.88 gears in crate G2 Dana 44's wrapped in 37-inch tires.

The Backstory:
From overheating to oil burning, it feels like I've faced nearly every issue one can with this rig.

Initially, I struggled with overheating - a challenge I combated with a slew of changes including swapping out the water pump, hoses, and radiators (trying both the original and 4 and 3-row aftermarket ones), replacing the electric fan, and adding an auxiliary push fan. The breakthrough came when I decided to overhaul the cooling system during which I installed Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, Banks Power Torque Tubes Headers, a Walker Catalytic Converter, new O2 sensors, a BBK 62mm Throttle Body, Banks Ram-Air, and a Superchips Flashpaq F5. I also had the machine shop port and polish the TUPY heads and intake manifold. These fixes addressed the overheating, and the Jeep was running smoother than ever.

However, my last 300-mile venture to KOH revealed a new issue: significant oil burning, necessitating the addition of 4 quarts of oil after just 150 miles. This was soon followed by a check engine light indicating a misfire on cylinder 1. Initial thoughts pointed towards bad valve seals, but a compression test suggested a piston ring problem. Despite attempts to remedy this with ATF soaking, the issue persists.

With about 136k miles on the odometer (up from 130k when purchased) and not being my daily driver, I'm now considering my next steps for a more reliable setup that doesn't skimp on power for highway driving.

Seeking Your Advice:Given my journey and where I stand, I'm contemplating a few paths forward:

• Rebuilding the 4.0 and just changing the piston rings.
  • Upgrading to a 4.6 stroker, especially considering the potential need for a .030 overbore if the block goes to the machine shop.
  • Going for a HEMI/LS/TDI swap.
What would you recommend for achieving reliability along with a decent boost in power for highway jaunts? I'm leaning towards the stroker or a swap, but I'm interested in hearing about your experiences, recommendations, and why you'd choose one option over the others.

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge this community offers and am looking forward to your suggestions!

https://revkit.com/ignaonline/

PXL_20240124_053743367.jpg

Stock fan was engine driven,better than aftermarket electric fans. Get new 4.0 and Jezza’s turbo kit. Angry grill should be removed to help with airflow and your dignity

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
I'd pull the head and oil pan...I've done both in a gravel driveway...replace the pistons with new rings, crank bearings... it's not a terrible job. Might want to do the timing chain and a regular pressure/volume Melling oil pump/RMS at the same time.

Just Dex It on YouTube has some pretty good videos of quick and dirty 4.0 rebuilds.

That would get you back up and running while you contemplate your next move...lead times on strokers are pretty long.

-Mac