Need a shorter than OE rear track bar

never monday

TJ Addict
This one has me stumped.
2” procomp springs, stock arms and track bar, all the bushings are in good condition. By both visual and twisting with a pry bar.

In this case you’d expect the rear axle to have shifted to passenger a bit. Well this one is offset 1/2” to driver......
So, do any of the aftermarket rear track bars adjust shorter than OE eye to eye?

Did anything else change, because this really doesn't make sense based on the geometry there. How did you measure the axle being centered?

Did anything else change, because this really doesn't make sense based on the geometry there. How did you measure the axle being centered?
Exactly! No changes to the rear except the spring swap. It has been driven about 50mi so far.
I’m measuring from the outside face of the frame to the edge of the tread. Yes, the same position tread block on both sides.

Figured it out, I think.....
Because of the hockey stick shape of the bar. At stock height it is centered but as you go up the axle actually moves left before moving right. The OE location points the heal of the “blade” up at the tub. So a small lift rotates the blade down and closer to horizontal. That moves the axle end to it’s farthest point in the arc. Once you go higher the axle starts pulling to the right.
Damn compound curves......

Reactions: xXDavidCXx
Because of the hockey stick shape of the bar. At stock height it is centered but as you go up the axle actually moves left before moving right. The OE location points the heal of the “blade” up at the tub. So a small lift rotates the blade down and closer to horizontal. That moves the axle end to it’s farthest point in the arc. Once you go higher the axle starts pulling to the right.
Damn OCD, you mean.;)

No, the two pivot points do not know the shape of the bar that connects them since no matter the shape, it acts like a straight bar. Demonstrate this by making a compass to draw an arc with using a piece of thin cardboard with two holes in it. Use one hole as the pivot point and the other for the point of a writing device, pen, pencil, marker, whatever. Draw the arc and then note that no matter how many bends, squiggles etc. you make between those two points, as long as the center to center distance is the same, so will the arc described be.

What can and does happen is where in the arc the axle sits. If the bar is perfectly horizontal at ride height, it will move the axle to the same side as it moves up or down.

When I picked mine up from getting the 8.8 installed (along with a cold air intake, manual swap, e-fans, non-mopar sensor, and E load rated tires 😯), I noticed the axle wasn't centered--and I'm not talking about the offset pumpkin. I figured the shop screwed up the brackets or something. I was looking for a shorter than stock track bar to fix it and quicky determined there is no such animal. After a day or two of driving it though, it fixed itself? Maybe yours if just cocked funny for whatever reason and it'll go back. Go wheeling and check it after. At the very least you'll have some fun and still be in the same spot you are now 😁

Exactly! No changes to the rear except the spring swap. It has been driven about 50mi so far.
I’m measuring from the outside face of the frame to the edge of the tread. Yes, the same position tread block on both sides.
Unless the rig is pretty darn level side to side, that is not an accurate measurement. I'm also guessing that your flat smooth surfaces you park vehicles on are about as level as the high quality nature of your phone service.

Maybe yours if just cocked funny for whatever reason and it'll go back. Go wheeling and check it after. At the very least you'll have some fun and still be in the same spot you are now 😁
The track bar has not been touched in the 1000mi I’ve owned the truck. For the last few hundred miles my front sway bar link has been broken. Theres more than enough sway generated on these Appalacian back roads to settle the suspension.

Unless the rig is pretty darn level side to side, that is not an accurate measurement. I'm also guessing that your flat smooth surfaces you park vehicles on are about as level as the high quality nature of your phone service.
Concrete shop floor that was poured in the 40’s. I’t’s not a surgical table bit it’s pretty damn level over a 6ft span.
I’ve not leveled the truck

If the arc is determined by the end point and i’ve listed it 2”. Then Why is the axle pushed left instead of right?

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
The track bar has not been touched in the 1000mi I’ve owned the truck. For the last few hundred miles my front sway bar link has been broken. Theres more than enough sway generated on these Appalacian back roads to settle the suspension.
Going wheeling is still an option. Just sayin' 🤓

I don't know without putting eyes on it but I do know exactly how track bars work and they don't change.
Ok, i get the bend doesn’t mater. It looks like I’m in the area of the circle to the left of the blue line. Hence my desire for a shorter track bar at ride height.

FE30F372-A883-4345-8876-9F83D75C34E1.png

Quick measurement under the truck day’s a stock bar is 32”. The JKS I ordered finally came in and it looks like it can go as short as 31”.
Looks like this may satiate my CDO.

One thing I’m not excited about is the poly frame side bushing on this JKS bar. Has anyone found a rubber bushing to press in?

I hate to dredge up an old post, but I am in nearly the same boat. I did a 2.5 RC lift and have had a driveshaft vibration. I changed to Adjustable upper and lower arms. even with the pinion angle set it still vibrates like the angle is off. It appears the rear axle is shifted more driver than passenger. How did you end up sorting it out?