Need assistance with front Dana 44 axle swap

Ante_Up

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So first off, I have a 97 and I'm swapping to 06 Rubicon axles. The axle is centered and hanging as low as the CA's will allow. Track bar is way off though. What am I missing? There are 2 additional mounting holes, but I drilled out and installed where PO had his, to start with.... Thanks fellas!

MVIMG_20200823_170445.jpg

MVIMG_20200823_170340.jpg

MVIMG_20200823_170458.jpg

That is a custom axle side track bar bracket. Typically, the trackbar would attach where you have the steering stabilizer attached. However, it looks like you may have crossover steering. can you take pictures of the knuckles and where the draglink and tie rod attach on the passenger side?

That is a custom axle side track bar bracket. Typically, the trackbar would attach where you have the steering stabilizer attached. However, it looks like you may have crossover steering. can you take pictures of the knuckles and where the draglink and tie rod attach on the passenger side?
It does look like you could put the trackbar right back in the hole to the vehicle right, picture left of the stabilizer bolt, no?

Reactions: someguysjeep
It does look like you could put the trackbar right back in the hole to the vehicle right, picture left of the stabilizer bolt, no?

Agreed. But if the PO of the axle was using that top hole, it might have different knuckles on it. Hard to tell but it seems the tie rod and draglink are separate.

Definitely not stock knuckles... That's something else I may have to tackle if the driveability sucks. I'm just trying to get it together for now

MVIMG_20200823_213014.jpg

MVIMG_20200823_213035.jpg

You are going to need a custom, shorter trackbar than what you have in order to run those knuckles. Another option would be to put the trackbar back into the stock place and get stock knuckles or a Vanco big brake kit.

I ran the part number on that axle housing and it says its a TJ rubicon Dana 44 axle, not a JK. I am thinking you have Teraflex high steer knuckles but I am not positive.

You are going to need a custom, shorter trackbar than what you have in order to run those knuckles. Another option would be to put the trackbar back into the stock place and get stock knuckles or a Vanco big brake kit.

I ran the part number on that axle housing and it says its a TJ rubicon Dana 44 axle, not a JK. I am thinking you have Teraflex high steer knuckles but I am not positive.
That is the Tera right side high steer knuckle. They don't make a left side, it stays stock.

Use the passenger side knuckle off your old axle and move the trackbar to the bolt hole next to where the stabilizer is bolted up. move the stabilizer to one of the upper holes. Sell that Teraflex steering and run currie steering.

Reactions: Ante_Up
Sounds like I'll be ditching the Teraflex and using the knuckle off my Dana 30 then. I'm sure it was bound to happen anyway. I appreciate the assistance guys!

1st thing i thought was why is the stabilizer in the TB hole and the TB in the stabilizer hole.........but figured i'd wait for smarter folks to chime in. but now the steering kinda explains it.

that is basically JK steering linkage now, no?
if it's supposed to function on 1 should it not function on another?

OCD note: does that weld in bung appear odd to anyone else? looks like they welded the flat end to the link. i've shopped quite a few builder parts from a lot of venders and never seen/noticed an outside taper.

I think we need some more pics of things since it looks like there is a big brake kit on there. We need to see what it going on before he trashes the whole mess. He might just be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

that is basically JK steering linkage now, no?
if it's supposed to function on 1 should it not function on another?

Yes and no. Tera is basically WJ style steering since the WJ was first so derivatively, that would put the JK as a version of WJ as well.

OCD note: does that weld in bung appear odd to anyone else? looks like they welded the flat end to the link. i've shopped quite a few builder parts from a lot of venders and never seen/noticed an outside taper.
As far as I know, all of Tera's bungs are not weld in. Not sure what you seeing unless it is the nut with the washer under it.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Here's some additional pics. I'm working from home and appreciate the input, so just let me know what you need a pic of and I can get it quick... Thanks

MVIMG_20200824_080536.jpg

MVIMG_20200824_080550.jpg

MVIMG_20200824_080601.jpg

MVIMG_20200824_080608.jpg

MVIMG_20200824_080616.jpg

MVIMG_20200824_080736.jpg

MVIMG_20200824_080840.jpg

As far as I know, all of Tera's bungs are not weld in. Not sure what you seeing unless it is the nut with the washer under it.

I believe it's the RE track bar he's referring to. It'll be swapped for Currie soon though.

Here's some additional pics. I'm working from home and appreciate the input, so just let me know what you need a pic of and I can get it quick... Thanks

View attachment 185814

View attachment 185815

View attachment 185816

View attachment 185817

View attachment 185818

View attachment 185819

View attachment 185820
That is the 17" Vanco Big Brake kit adapted onto the Tera steering knuckle. We quit doing that when Tera told me to buy knuckles retail when I told them I wanted to set up a core bank with 10-50 knuckles pre-machined for the adapters.

this end on the TB, just looks more like a butt weld than a filled taper i'd expect, to me.

tube insert.PNG