Need front bumper ideas

97swampdonkeytj

What front bumpers are yall running? I've been looking at the smittybuilt src stubby stinger winch bumper for my build but also looking for other ideas. So break em out and show me what your working with.

The very last (!) brand of bumper I'd run is a Smittybilt which is cheaply made in China. One very good brand with an outstanding reputation for strength and quality is made by https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/front-bumper which is made in the USA. It's a small shop that will make changes if you ask, like making the front bumper a stubby bumper. I have run their rear bumper on two TJs and their quality and strength is impressive.

20140111_100321-Aeditted.jpg

Or if you have the $$$ you absolutely cannot beat the aluminum stubby bumper with built-in winch mount from https://savvyoffroad.com/product-category/jeep-wrangler-1997-2006/bumper/ which is what I'm running up front. The only issue with Savvy is they are temporarily out of stock so there would be some kind of a wait to receive it.

Bumper-winch-cropped-smalle.jpg

Here are two photos of Smittybilt bumpers that show their shoddy construction.

Smittybilt Bumper.jpg

Smittybilt tire carrier fell off.jpg

UCF aluminum bumper (9 lbs.). $212 right now .
View attachment 295898
Just installed mine this weekend. $190 with the black friday discount, which it looks like it’s still being accepted.

I’ve been on the “email me when it’s available” list for the Savvy bumper for quite awhile now. It’s a nice bumper but not sure I can justify its price tag for my needs.
C6461914-18FF-44F2-B7B6-1A1F0D07F18E.jpeg

I have more opinions on the rear than the front beyond wanting a stubby for what I do. There's a few other niceties for an ideal front bumper though, like tying into the swaybar bolts, having a deeper deck, and covering the end of the antirock/swaylock by a little, oh and no stupid logos laser cut.

The Savvy with the hardcore upgrade is what I would do if I were buying today. However I have a motobilt stubby which I'll customize now that it's off for other work.

Reactions: JDM, jjvw and L J
Just installed mine this weekend. $190 with the black friday discount, which it looks like it’s still being accepted.

I’ve been on the “email me when it’s available” list for the Savvy bumper for quite awhile now. It’s a nice bumper but not sure I can justify its price tag for my needs.
View attachment 296021
Looks good. I would have bought one if I they had the matching rear for a similar price. I like my USA made LOD bumpers, but the weight savings would have been nice.

What front bumpers are yall running? I've been looking at the smittybuilt src stubby stinger winch bumper for my build but also looking for other ideas. So break em out and show me what your working with.
Buy a second hand TJ OME bumper and cut it down, keep your original for when you decide stock actually looks best! :)

I have Motobilt but I think their BF sale may have ended. May be the one @rasband referred to and I agree are a few changes I will be making. Namely extending the winch deck to grab the additional holes and move winch tighter to the grill which will also cover the gap from removing the stock plastic cover. @Mike_H has nice write up on doing this
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-high-clearance-bumpers.48723/post-854806 Probably not as big deal if you are using stock sway bar.

829C4DB4-ABD8-4856-B91E-4E60739E6B0D.jpeg
1662A94E-70DF-4706-8F71-6121616EDED3.jpeg

34F22E60-97BE-4493-8B17-DDC586721DAD.jpeg

I have Motobilt but I think their BF sale may have ended. May be the one @rasband referred to and I agree are a few changes I will be making. Namely extending the winch deck to grab the additional holes and move winch tighter to the grill which will also cover the gap from removing the stock plastic cover. @Mike_H has nice write up on doing this
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-high-clearance-bumpers.48723/post-854806 Probably not as big deal if you are using stock sway bar.

View attachment 296061View attachment 296063
View attachment 296062
Very similar to the one I have, but I didn't do the stinger.

Reactions: John Cooper