Need Half Door Purchase Opinions

Thank you, @someguysjeep it did indeed pan out. Zero rust in the pinch welds or any part of the door for that matter except where the soft upper rubbed the top on driver door. Plus they have black interior panels! Yea! I almost hate to paint over the original yellow factory paint. As I know yellow ones are very rare. Still has factory stickers. Brand new uppers still in box too. Anyways, wanted everyone to know it worked out and I now have nice half doors. A few pics.

View attachment 140524

View attachment 140525

View attachment 140526

View attachment 140527

View attachment 140528
Outstanding! I'm living vicariously though you via this thread - I've been looking for a decent set of half doors with tan door panels since I got my TJ last year. No luck just yet, but it'll pan out one of these days.

Are you going to be doing the painting yourself or take it to a bodyshop?

Outstanding! I'm living vicariously though you via this thread - I've been looking for a decent set of half doors with tan door panels since I got my TJ last year. No luck just yet, but it'll pan out one of these days.

Are you going to be doing the painting yourself or take it to a bodyshop?
Thank you. A lot of what ive been seeing out there is that people ask the same price regardless of condition trying to capitalize on the fact they are getting hard to come by. Plus the market is filles with those that have already painted them to match their jeep. I got lucky and only thanks to @someguysjeep did I find some that were rust free AND had good condition interior panels in the color I wanted. It is damn near impossible to find a set that are truly rust free with your exterior and interior color in good condition. All the planets would have to align. So I believe it is best to find rust free ones with interior panels in good condition. The color can be dealt with with good paint.

My wife's best friend has a daughter that works at her grandfather's body shop (30 years in business) I am going to have her paint them to match after I disassemble them. I can do a lot of things, but will leave body panel paint matching and clear coating to the professionals.

LOL I would have paid shipping both ways to trade you my white doors for those yellow ones!
Lol I thought about your Yellow Rubi when I saw them in the back of his GC. The paint is in really good condition. Looks like someone took them off if and when they went offroad.

I hate you. You tempted me to buy Jeep parts I didn't need. Now I have great condition red 2004 half doors with slate grey panels on their way. I was going to put armor over them but now I'm worried they'll be too nice. They'll be here on Thursday.

I hate you. You tempted me to buy Jeep parts I didn't need. Now I have great condition red 2004 half doors with slate grey panels on their way. I was going to put armor over them but now I'm worried they'll be too nice. They'll be here on Thursday.
I hate me too. It seems to be a recurring theme with me and Jeep parts.

Do the door armor! I installed a GenRight set on my TJ and loved them. Protection, plus a much more solid feeling door, when opened and closed.

BO2ivwc.jpg

N51toUM.jpg

i like the flak jacket version. i really would like to fit those, it'd add some stiffness up front.

You really don't even need the interior panels to be in perfect condition — you just need them to be complete. One of my panels was a little sun faded along the top of the interior panel, so I bought the matching LVP interior paint with the 215 Adhesion Promoter primer. Two light coats basically brought them back to factory new appearance. After 2 days put a coat of Armor All on it, and it is a perfect match with the rest of the interior plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6ILI24/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Let me know if you’re interested in hard half door uppers! They’re fiberglass and in amazing condition. I’ve only got full doors right now so I have no use for them lol

You guys that went half doors, are you wheeling them? I am also really wanting some halvsies that can accept soft uppers but will be running them on trails. How bad sealing / fitting are the aluminum ones? It looks like the Aqualu might not be terrible and for sure looses some weight over a factory half door.

You guys that went half doors, are you wheeling them? I am also really wanting some halvsies that can accept soft uppers but will be running them on trails. How bad sealing / fitting are the aluminum ones? It looks like the Aqualu might not be terrible and for sure looses some weight over a factory half door.
You will appreciate the added field of view when wheeling with half doors. And the top of the half door (without an upper) makes for a great arm rest.

GenRight sells some aluminum trail doors, it's 1 of their more moderately priced products relative to everything else they sell. 30% less than those ^.

You will appreciate the added field of view when wheeling with half doors. And the top of the half door (without an upper) makes for a great arm rest.

X2 here. It's a personal preference, but in the scenario where you can wheel with full, half or no doors, 1/2 doors wins for us on the East Coast. The 1/2 doors gives you:
- better visibility than full doors
- better protection than no doors
- keeps mud and dirt out that no doors would allow in, and
- allows for use of factory uppers to seal the Jeep when it rains

When you couple the factory 1/2 door with something like GenRights door armor, you also get a much more solid feeling door.

Last edited: