Need help building auxiliary fuse box

Josh.JeepTJ

I’ve seen mixed things in guides about building a new fuse box for all my accessories. If anyone can answer some questions about it, that’d be really helpful because I’m a little lost.
1. What is the purpose of relays in a fuse panel and should I get a fuse box with relay slots?
2. If I wire the fuse panel to the battery directly, wouldn’t the fuses always be hot? How would I make it so the fuses are ignition hot?
3. Any suggestions as far as guides go to make this process simpler? I’ve been researching wiring but I feel like the only way I can learn something like this is hands-on. If anyone can refer me to a guide so I can get some experience and also not screw anything up in the process that would be great.

1. Relays handle the high load and allow the switch wiring to be smaller gauge.
2. There will be power going to the relays but the circuit is not crated until the switch is thrown.
3. I don't know of any guides, I just bought one of those 6 position relay panels that you build yourself from Amazon and bought a bunch of wire and started going to town. It takes a long time but in the end you can have a very clean build that is not very noticeable once in position.
In the attached picture, you can see my main fuse on top of the battery that feeds all the relays in my panel. The panel is on the drivers side and all the wiring is along the firewall. It is not invisible but it is also not a mess of wires all over the place. I put my meter on each of my load sources and I am way below the max the main power feed can handle.
engine-bay.jpg

Reactions: Daryl
I’ll address your questions.
1. The reason for a relay is to control high current accessories with low current switches. Lower current uses smaller gauge wires and smaller switches.
2. You can buy/build/ wire the fuse/relay center hot, switched or a combination of both. Depends on the circuit function.
3. Since you are asking these questions I would suggest buying something like a Painless brand add-a-circuit configured to your requirements.

Example: this one has 7 circuits, 3 hot and 4 ignition.

Painless Wiring 70207 Aux.Fuse Block 7Circuit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062Z5VG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Gollywomper