Need Help PLEASE with Codes: P0218 and P0714

Vincent

Hello!
I am beyond frustrated, mad, and becoming broke...Yes I have read the many post relating to this, but here is my situation:

2006 LJ Auto with 60,000 miles: beautiful :) Purchased in October

Starting getting the all typical symptoms that have been well documented on this forum: Hard shift from first to second. It only does it the first two shifts into second gear. After that it is fine when engine warms. It does it in cold, and warm weather. Disconnect battery and it is fine for awhile...then back at it.

Thanks to all the information on this forum, my local dealer replaced the ppm in November. It ran perfect until the end of March, and then hard shift and codes back. Dealer replaced the PCM under warranty. This time, only drove it a week and back at it.

I was very close to just ignoring the issue and living with it, until pandemonium happened on the hight way. Check engine light came on and it would not shift out of second gear. It sat for a week, until the appointment with the dealer. Wouldn't you know it ran fine. the code P0218 and P0714 were no longer there (disappeared apparently..yeah right) and now I got code p1603. They recommended an engine tuneup (really?!??!). Drove it for two days, hard shifting returned and good ol' P0218 and P0714. I am getting ready to unload it, because it is just becoming more than I can afford at this point.

I have read the countless threads on this topic with limited success and mixed success. Does anyone have information, outcomes, or guidance....Please....I would be forever grateful.

Last edited:
I have read lots about problems with the transmission computer built into the PCM with 2005-2006 models. Take a look at the articles from a Google search I did on the issue. Basically it sounds like the fix is an updated PCM with the latest software updates in it.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=2006+Wrangler+automatic+transmission+computer+issues

Check the post in particular at http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=280280

Thank you for responding. I happen to catch that post on greatlakes4x4. Seems like I could go back to the dealer and fight for a remanufactured PCM

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hey Vincent, I had same codes as well as 2 more and only way to fix was to buy a new TCM from a company out of New York for $1275.00. I tried to get mine rebuilt but the main processor in the TCM was fried and non rebuildable. Since I replaced the TCM with rebuilt one with latest Mopar updates I have had no more problems. Hope you don't have to go this route but Good luck.