Need help shopping for new gears

I turn my stereo on and turn it up and my harmonics mysteriously deminish.

It's not just a sound, it can also be felt.

The 42RLE transmission can make a lugging "druundruundruun" sound that is different than the driveline related vibes that are more like a "baaaahhm — baaaahhm — baaaahhm" kind of like a unbalanced tire or driving over those slow down warning grooved strips found on highways before a stop sign. And in this particular case are felt starting at the top of the Jeep and work their way down.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood! I thought you had told me he already did and it didn't do anything. I'm not sure where I got that from.

Well, in that case, there's still hope!

He's been working on the rig and checking and double checking everything. I know he would not have recommended those two changes if he hasn't checked everything else already.

He's been working on the rig and checking and double checking everything. I know he would not have recommended those two changes if he hasn't checked everything else already.

Any idea when he plans to get to those two things?

It's not just a sound, it can also be felt.

The 42RLE transmission can make a lugging "druundruundruun" sound that is different than the driveline related vibes that are more like a "baaaahhm — baaaahhm — baaaahhm" kind of like a unbalanced tire or driving over those slow down warning grooved strips found on highways before a stop sign. And in this particular case are felt starting at the top of the Jeep and work their way down.

I think @bobthetj03 was simply trying to be funny. He knows these vibes very well.

Reactions: toximus
Wow. I cannot imagine driving my TJ at that speed ever haha. Great photo.

I cannot imagine driving a TJ at that speed again and highly recommend against doing so. I did learn that at 85+ the vibes turn into a constant drone rather than an occurrence.

Reactions: psrivats
Before I replaced the torque converter, I would have it on jack stands with the driveshafts pulled and run up to the same speed to see if the vibe is there. It is not unheard of for a TC to have an imbalance and cause this type of issue but it is rarely a harmonic, just a straight up vibration.

Before I replaced the torque converter, I would have it on jack stands with the driveshafts pulled and run up to the same speed to see if the vibe is there. It is not unheard of for a TC to have an imbalance and cause this type of issue but it is rarely a harmonic, just a straight up vibration.

I will ask him when I meet him on Saturday. I suspect he would not have recommended those two items without good reason.

I'll defer to Dave on that one since I know very little about them.

I'll let you know what happens with my Jeep. I still have have some hope left. I'm pretty busy with work these days, so even if I had the Jeep it wouldn't get used as much esp given the non-stop rain here. So for now I'm content to be patient.

I want psrivats’ fixed almost as much as he does....I totally understand his frustration . It just ain’t fair when a good dude gets a headache trying to do the right thing.

Have any of you guys ever noticed that Jeeps are pretty dense vehicles mechanically? Everything happens pretty close together. That’s worth noting I think.

So would you say the harmonic vibration is "livable" now, or is it still so annoying that you feel like you're going to keep trying to track it down?

The vibe is tolerable. 98% of the driving around here is under 60mph so I'm not sure that a solution is actually needed for this Jeep and that remaining 2% of driving could be tolerated. There may be a very slight vibe at 45mph that goes away before 50mph — but I needed to be well rested, very attentive, and on a quiet and flat section of road to sense it. Before saying for sure that it has a vibe at 45mph I would like to change the tires because it may be due to the KM2s being out of round. With the front driveshaft removed the vibe is non-existent at all speeds.

Like everyone else here, I'm not sure what the exact issue is that causes the vibes. As it's probably already clear based on my red LJ thread, I typically don't tolerate things even if it's only 2% of the time. My plan is to mitigate the vibes with a hub kit and not give the vibes anymore thought. The manual hubs would only need to be unlocked for long distance trips on highways where 4wd wouldn't be used anyway and there are almost always good spots to stop to lock them before driving local streets in 4wd... if there's lots of mixed driving they could be left locked and tolerated (for example frequently existing for gas during a snowstorm where the exit is frosty but the highway is clear for 65mph+). In the summer they could be left unlocked and only locked for trails.

Reactions: Alex01 and tomtaylz
The vibe is tolerable. 98% of the driving around here is under 60mph so I'm not sure that a solution is actually needed for this Jeep and that remaining 2% of driving could be tolerated. There may be a very slight vibe at 45mph that goes away before 50mph — but I needed to be well rested, very attentive, and on a quiet and flat section of road to sense it. Before saying for sure that it has a vibe at 45mph I would like to change the tires because it may be due to the KM2s being out of round. With the front driveshaft removed the vibe is non-existent at all speeds.

Like everyone else here, I'm not sure what the exact issue is that causes the vibes. As it's probably already clear based on my red LJ thread, I typically don't tolerate things even if it's only 2% of the time. My plan is to mitigate the vibes with a hub kit and not give the vibes anymore thought. The manual hubs would only need to be unlocked for long distance trips on highways where 4wd wouldn't be used anyway and there are almost always good spots to stop to lock them before driving local streets in 4wd... if there's lots of mixed driving they could be left locked and tolerated (for example frequently existing for gas during a snowstorm where the exit is frosty but the highway is clear for 65mph+). In the summer they could be left unlocked and only locked for trails.

With the hub kit, what do you intend to do with the AEV Pintlers? The only way to get a hub kit to work with those is to have them machine out (that's my understanding at least). I was planning to put in a hub kit as well, as I figured that for long trips I could just unlock the hubs and not worry about it. It's not like locking or unlocking hubs is that much of a task anyways. Hell, I wish that Jeep had never stopped putting manual hubs on them.

The reason it didn't bother me much is because like you said, most driving doesn't happen over 60 mph. Hell, I very rarely took it on the highway, so it didn't bother me much. I want to say that sound dampening material may have helped to cancel out a lot of the noise, but I never got to fully test it after installing it at high speeds, so I can't say for sure. There's a really thick layer of it though, so I have to imagine it helped some.

With the hub kit, what do you intend to do with the AEV Pintlers? The only way to get a hub kit to work with those is to have them machine out (that's my understanding at least). I was planning to put in a hub kit as well, as I figured that for long trips I could just unlock the hubs and not worry about it. It's not like locking or unlocking hubs is that much of a task anyways. Hell, I wish that Jeep had never stopped putting manual hubs on them.

The reason it didn't bother me much is because like you said, most driving doesn't happen over 60 mph. Hell, I very rarely took it on the highway, so it didn't bother me much. I want to say that sound dampening material may have helped to cancel out a lot of the noise, but I never got to fully test it after installing it at high speeds, so I can't say for sure. There's a really thick layer of it though, so I have to imagine it helped some.

I haven't fully decided yet. My original intention was to save them for summer with the KM2s since they're lookers. Ultimately it's up to Mrs Tox since it's her Jeep so she gets to choose the cosmetics (she's letting me do the technical side though!).

Reactions: tomtaylz
I haven't fully decided yet. My original intention was to save them for summer with the KM2s since they're lookers. Ultimately it's up to Mrs Tox since it's her Jeep so she gets to choose the cosmetics (she's letting me do the technical side though!).

Very cool! I don't blame you for wanting to save them for summer. They're expensive, and they're damn fine looking wheels! At least we know it's in good hands :)

I think @bobthetj03 was simply trying to be funny. He knows these vibes very well.

Yes, trying to lighten the mood a bit. The stereo only helps with the 50-60mph harmonic. After 60, the physically felt vibes kick in. I tolerate it by driving at 62. For whatever reason, it smooths out to a tolerable level at that speed. I'll have new tires next week, so I'm anxious to see what that change nets.

Yes, trying to lighten the mood a bit. The stereo only helps with the 50-60mph harmonic. After 60, the physically felt vibes kick in. I tolerate it by driving at 62. For whatever reason, it smooths out to a tolerable level at that speed. I'll have new tires next week, so I'm anxious to see what that change nets.

I'm also curious. Which tires did you go with?

You're lucky it actually smooths out.

On a lot of them it continues to get worse the faster you go! At least you've got something to be thankful for.

BFG KO2's. Done with muds. My KM2's are down to 7/32's, so the added tire diameter of a new tire may play a role.

That was the first thing I changed on my TJ. The PO had 33" E rated Toyo MTs on 17" rims. Those tires were so loud and the ride was pretty awful. I found a set of TJ MOABs on CL and got 32" Duratracs. Big difference in ride quality and noise level. You'll like those KO2s. I hope the 50-60 vibes go away with your new tires.

Reactions: bobthetj03